From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Well, it's been real ...
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 00:20:46 -0400
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 04:20 UTC

But Boston seems better on both offense and defense. They completely
take the Warriors out of their usual intricate offense, reducing the
Warriors to a lot of one-on-one plays, either Steph and Klay shooting
threes or Poole and Wiggins driving. Dray was a complete nonfactor and I
don't even know why. Boston is taller, stronger, younger and more
athletic. Sigh. I really thought the Warriors were going to win.

And this is even assuming that Steph can play.

Maybe Dray should back up Looney, and Porter and Kuminga should share
the PF spot.

--Robin

Re: Well, it's been real ...

<t7ue7c$4ed$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4105&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4105

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: Well, it's been real ...
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 20:36:15 -0700
 by: Allen - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 03:36 UTC

On 6/8/2022 9:20 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> But Boston seems better on both offense and defense. They completely
> take the Warriors out of their usual intricate offense, reducing the
> Warriors to a lot of one-on-one plays, either Steph and Klay shooting
> threes or Poole and Wiggins driving. Dray was a complete nonfactor and I
> don't even know why. Boston is taller, stronger, younger and more
> athletic. Sigh. I really thought the Warriors were going to win.
>
> And this is even assuming that Steph can play.
>
> Maybe Dray should back up Looney, and Porter and Kuminga should share
> the PF spot.
>
> --Robin

I share your pessimism. My only hope (a far-fetched one) is that the
Warriors have been so up and down this season, so maybe/hopefully next
game will be an up one.

But I agree with all your points Robin. Re: Poole: when he drives after
a pick-n-roll he sees Robert Williams III, gets discombobulated, and the
play breaks down. I think Williams III has been such a big factor, even
on 1.5 legs.

And on defense, the Warriors were frequently crowding into the middle,
leaving Celtics wide open 3s. It's no wonder they're shooting those
well. Also, Tatum is doing a good job dribble driving and making a good
pass - breaking down the Warriors defense.

I think we'll all find out in game 4. If somehow the Warriors can take
that game I think they can still win this. If they lose it's all over.

Re: Well, it's been real ...

<jgh4icF3slgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4106&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4106

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 10:59:14 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 14:59 UTC

Allen wrote:
> On 6/8/2022 9:20 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>

>> But Boston seems better on both offense and defense. They completely
>> take the Warriors out of their usual intricate offense, reducing the
>> Warriors to a lot of one-on-one plays, either Steph and Klay shooting
>> threes or Poole and Wiggins driving. Dray was a complete nonfactor and
>> I don't even know why. Boston is taller, stronger, younger and more
>> athletic. Sigh. I really thought the Warriors were going to win.
>>
>> And this is even assuming that Steph can play.
>>
>> Maybe Dray should back up Looney, and Porter and Kuminga should share
>> the PF spot.
>>
>> --Robin
>

> I share your pessimism. My only hope (a far-fetched one) is that the
> Warriors have been so up and down this season, so maybe/hopefully next
> game will be an up one.
>
> But I agree with all your points Robin. Re: Poole: when he drives after
> a pick-n-roll he sees Robert Williams III, gets discombobulated, and the
> play breaks down. I think Williams III has been such a big factor, even
> on 1.5 legs.
>
> And on defense, the Warriors were frequently crowding into the middle,
> leaving Celtics wide open 3s. It's no wonder they're shooting those
> well. Also, Tatum is doing a good job dribble driving and making a good
> pass - breaking down the Warriors defense.
>
> I think we'll all find out in game 4. If somehow the Warriors can take
> that game I think they can still win this. If they lose it's all over.

I agree. And Steph's foot's health is the big wild card. But if they can
win tonight (and extend their streak of winning at least one game on
their opponent's court in each playoff series), then they have two out
of three at home.

--Robin

Re: Well, it's been real ...

<t801tl$1vkj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4108&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4108

From: worldoff...@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 11:18:28 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:18 UTC

Allen wrote:

> I share your pessimism. My only hope (a far-fetched one) is that the
> Warriors have been so up and down this season, so maybe/hopefully next
> game will be an up one.

I'm a little more optimistic (or at least hopeful). I agree that I was
not happy with seeing them getting pushed around in the 4th quarter, but
each game is different. And overall, the Warriors have done pretty well
of making adjustments, so far. And even if Green had a terrible game,
it's certainly possible that he can't won't have another game that's
similar to Game 2.

> But I agree with all your points Robin. Re: Poole: when he drives after
> a pick-n-roll he sees Robert Williams III, gets discombobulated, and the
> play breaks down. I think Williams III has been such a big factor, even
> on 1.5 legs.
>
> And on defense, the Warriors were frequently crowding into the middle,
> leaving Celtics wide open 3s. It's no wonder they're shooting those
> well. Also, Tatum is doing a good job dribble driving and making a good
> pass - breaking down the Warriors defense.
>
> I think we'll all find out in game 4. If somehow the Warriors can take
> that game I think they can still win this. If they lose it's all over.

I agree that Game 4 is definitely "must win", and that the Warriors know
it. And I think we'll probably know by the end of the first quarter. I
think they're going to have to keep it close, and not necessarily rely
on third quarter heroics.

Smith

Re: Well, it's been real ...

<t8148h$uv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4114&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4114

From: farberbe...@aol.com (David Farber)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 21:04:39 -0700
 by: David Farber - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 04:04 UTC

On 6/10/2022 11:18 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>
>> I share your pessimism. My only hope (a far-fetched one) is that the
>> Warriors have been so up and down this season, so maybe/hopefully next
>> game will be an up one.
>
> I'm a little more optimistic (or at least hopeful).  I agree that I was
> not happy with seeing them getting pushed around in the 4th quarter, but
> each game is different.  And overall, the Warriors have done pretty well
> of making adjustments, so far.  And even if Green had a terrible game,
> it's certainly possible that he can't won't have another game that's
> similar to Game 2.
>

>> But I agree with all your points Robin. Re: Poole: when he drives
>> after a pick-n-roll he sees Robert Williams III, gets discombobulated,
>> and the play breaks down. I think Williams III has been such a big
>> factor, even on 1.5 legs.
>>
>> And on defense, the Warriors were frequently crowding into the middle,
>> leaving Celtics wide open 3s. It's no wonder they're shooting those
>> well. Also, Tatum is doing a good job dribble driving and making a
>> good pass - breaking down the Warriors defense.
>>
>> I think we'll all find out in game 4. If somehow the Warriors can take
>> that game I think they can still win this. If they lose it's all over.
>
> I agree that Game 4 is definitely "must win", and that the Warriors know
> it. And I think we'll probably know by the end of the first quarter.  I
> think they're going to have to keep it close, and not necessarily rely
> on third quarter heroics.
>
> Smith
Warriors took care of business tonight. Nothing was easy about this win.
Lots of non-calls going the C's way. Curry played the game that we've
been waiting for. 43 points, 10 rebounds and on a bad foot.
How many of you get tired of hearing the talking heads mention how
undersized the Dubs are? The box score says the Dubs won the rebound
battle 55 to 42 and also won the battle on the offensive glass, 16 to
11. Wiggins had a career high rebounding mark with 16 boards to go along
with his 20 points.
Let's not forget to mention Kerr's many strategic substitutions during
the 4th quarter to maximize the team's effectiveness. To me, it looked
like their playoff experience really paid dividends tonight. Looking
forward to Monday's game.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Re: Well, it's been real ...

<jgimguFbv01U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4115&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4115

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 01:11:50 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 05:11 UTC

David Farber wrote:
> On 6/10/2022 11:18 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
>> Allen wrote:
>>
>>> I share your pessimism. My only hope (a far-fetched one) is that the
>>> Warriors have been so up and down this season, so maybe/hopefully
>>> next game will be an up one.
>>
>> I'm a little more optimistic (or at least hopeful).  I agree that I
>> was not happy with seeing them getting pushed around in the 4th
>> quarter, but each game is different.  And overall, the Warriors have
>> done pretty well of making adjustments, so far.  And even if Green had
>> a terrible game, it's certainly possible that he can't won't have
>> another game that's similar to Game 2.
>>

>>> But I agree with all your points Robin. Re: Poole: when he drives
>>> after a pick-n-roll he sees Robert Williams III, gets
>>> discombobulated, and the play breaks down. I think Williams III has
>>> been such a big factor, even on 1.5 legs.
>>>
>>> And on defense, the Warriors were frequently crowding into the
>>> middle, leaving Celtics wide open 3s. It's no wonder they're shooting
>>> those well. Also, Tatum is doing a good job dribble driving and
>>> making a good pass - breaking down the Warriors defense.
>>>
>>> I think we'll all find out in game 4. If somehow the Warriors can
>>> take that game I think they can still win this. If they lose it's all
>>> over.
>>
>> I agree that Game 4 is definitely "must win", and that the Warriors
>> know it. And I think we'll probably know by the end of the first
>> quarter.  I think they're going to have to keep it close, and not
>> necessarily rely on third quarter heroics.
>>
>> Smith
>
> Warriors took care of business tonight. Nothing was easy about this win.
> Lots of non-calls going the C's way. Curry played the game that we've
> been waiting for. 43 points, 10 rebounds and on a bad foot.
>
> How many of you get tired of hearing the talking heads mention how
> undersized the Dubs are? The box score says the Dubs won the rebound
> battle 55 to 42 and also won the battle on the offensive glass, 16 to
> 11. Wiggins had a career high rebounding mark with 16 boards to go along
> with his 20 points.
>
> Let's not forget to mention Kerr's many strategic substitutions during
> the 4th quarter to maximize the team's effectiveness. To me, it looked
> like their playoff experience really paid dividends tonight. Looking
> forward to Monday's game.
>
> --
> David Farber
> Los Osos, CA

So glad I was wrong! Steph's best playoff game ever? And doing this with
subpar contributions from Green, Klay and Poole, although Klay played
good defense tonight and great defense in the fourth quarter, and
Poole's scoring was needed.

I just can't get over it. I was so discouraged after the Celtics just
beasted the Warriors in the last game.

Doing this with essentially six players, and a little bit from Payton
and Porter. Starting Porter didn't work, however.

Just wow.

--Robin

Re: Well, it's been real ...

<t82l9c$1qsu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4117&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4117

From: worldoff...@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:01:15 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 18:01 UTC

David Farber wrote:
> On 6/10/2022 11:18 AM, NFN Smith wrote:

> Warriors took care of business tonight. Nothing was easy about this win.
> Lots of non-calls going the C's way. Curry played the game that we've
> been waiting for. 43 points, 10 rebounds and on a bad foot.

The Warriors seemed to spend most of the game trailing by a couple of
points, and never really pushed into the lead until well into the 4th
quarter. I admit that I was waiting for the roof to fall in, but when
it did, it fell on the Celtics, instead.

> How many of you get tired of hearing the talking heads mention how
> undersized the Dubs are? The box score says the Dubs won the rebound
> battle 55 to 42 and also won the battle on the offensive glass, 16 to
> 11. Wiggins had a career high rebounding mark with 16 boards to go along
> with his 20 points.

A lot of them seem to be rooting for the Celtics... East Coast bias,
fatigue with the Warriors, Barkley's negativity about jump shooting
teams, something else, or some combination. Who knows.

It would surprise me if the people who are the most negative are the
ones who, before the series started, were predicting the Celtics to win,
especially the "Celtics in 6" crowd. They need the results on the floor
to match their prognostications.

Another point of annoyance is all the talk about Kevin Durant, about how
he made the Warriors go when he was here. Maybe, or maybe not, but the
fact of the matter is that no matter how good KD was then (or is now),
the Nets got swept out of the first round (after barely making it in
through the play-in), and it's the Warriors who are there in a series
tied 2-2. If KD isn't there, why bother talking about him? I guess not
a lot different than LeBron trying to find his way in to the limelight
right now, as well. But until the series is finished, he's just as
irrelevant.

> Let's not forget to mention Kerr's many strategic substitutions during
> the 4th quarter to maximize the team's effectiveness. To me, it looked
> like their playoff experience really paid dividends tonight. Looking
> forward to Monday's game.

As noted, every game is different. It's too easy to be susceptible to
recency bias, and expect the next game to be a continuation of the
previous one. We saw the same kind of thing in the Memphis series after
the Warriors got an ugly win in Game 3, and then got blown out in Game 4.

Something that I'm watching for is comparison of overall fitness betweem
the two teams. In all the series against the Cavs, I noticed that after
about Game 4, LeBron started wearing down, and was noticeably fatigued
at the ends of games, and I guess that's part of what was done to defend
Harden then, and guys like Jocic, and Doncic, as well. If they have to
do everything (both offense and defense). In this series, the Celtics
are more balanced, but I think the Warriors are much more used to
playing at high tempo. And although the talking heads stopped saying
anything about the Celtics multiple 7-game series previously, they still
have that accumulation of games, and we may start seeing more effects of
that now that we're past Game 4.

I think we may have seen a little of that effect last night in the 4th
quarter, and I think it possible that we might see more evidence of
Celtics' fatigue a little earlier in Game 5.

Smith