A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. -- Yogi Berra

sport / alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants / Another new low in Giants' baseball

SubjectAuthor
* Another new low in Giants' baseballJohnW
`* Re: Another new low in Giants' baseballpoldy
 `- Re: Another new low in Giants' baseballJohnW

1
Another new low in Giants' baseball

<90d08554-4e09-4c64-85f1-4cdba97f3890n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=410&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#410

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:14:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Another new low in Giants' baseball
From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 02:14 UTC

Today they manage 10 hits, but only two runs. So, the reciprocal here is, the pitching stunk. Wood lasted only 2.1 innings and gave up five runs, which was more than enough runs for as Cubs win. Kapler, always trying show how smart he is, considers the game lost, so he relieves with Manaea, who contributes another 2 runs to the Chicago cause. RISP 1 of 6

Giants 2 Cubs 8

Re: Another new low in Giants' baseball

<udk45k$hh4p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=413&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#413

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Re: Another new low in Giants' baseball
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 03:01:24 -0700
 by: poldy - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:01 UTC

On 9/6/23 7:14 PM, JohnW wrote:
> Today they manage 10 hits, but only two runs. So, the reciprocal here is, the pitching stunk. Wood lasted only 2.1 innings and gave up five runs, which was more than enough runs for as Cubs win. Kapler, always trying show how smart he is, considers the game lost, so he relieves with Manaea, who contributes another 2 runs to the Chicago cause. RISP 1 of 6
>
> Giants 2 Cubs 8

At this point, even if they make the playoffs, they're going to be
dispatched rather easily.

Zaidi said they have to hope the hitters hit like they did in the first
half again, so they go on a hot streak. Hope and prayers seem to be all
they have.

Really the outlook is bleak. Attendance is declining so they won't be
able to spend with the other teams, even if they wanted to.

And they can't attract big time hitters to the team because of the home
stadium. There are reports that they might try to sign Bellinger.

So Dodgers castoffs and not even vie for Ohtani it looks like.

The prospects don't look that great either. Maybe Harrison but not
enough starts yet at the ML level to know.

Luciano seems stuck, Bart was a big bust.

People are happy with Bailey defensively but I look at all the young
players this year and they seem average starters at best, no all-star
potential, at least as hitters.

So it's the same old story, maybe there are a couple of pitching
prospects who could turn out to be pretty good but nothing but average
or backup types for position players.

And they struggle to sign hitters in free agency. Bad park for hitters
and ownership seem to want to tighten the purse strings.

--
Serenity Now!

Re: Another new low in Giants' baseball

<391680e5-9459-4ef3-8c86-e7009726df99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=414&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#414

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:24 UTC

On Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 12:01:27 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
> On 9/6/23 7:14 PM, JohnW wrote:
> > Today they manage 10 hits, but only two runs. So, the reciprocal here is, the pitching stunk. Wood lasted only 2.1 innings and gave up five runs, which was more than enough runs for as Cubs win. Kapler, always trying show how smart he is, considers the game lost, so he relieves with Manaea, who contributes another 2 runs to the Chicago cause. RISP 1 of 6
> >
> > Giants 2 Cubs 8
> At this point, even if they make the playoffs, they're going to be
> dispatched rather easily.
>
> Zaidi said they have to hope the hitters hit like they did in the first
> half again, so they go on a hot streak. Hope and prayers seem to be all
> they have.
>
> Really the outlook is bleak. Attendance is declining so they won't be
> able to spend with the other teams, even if they wanted to.
>
> And they can't attract big time hitters to the team because of the home
> stadium. There are reports that they might try to sign Bellinger.
>
> So Dodgers castoffs and not even vie for Ohtani it looks like.
>
> The prospects don't look that great either. Maybe Harrison but not
> enough starts yet at the ML level to know.
>
> Luciano seems stuck, Bart was a big bust.
>
> People are happy with Bailey defensively but I look at all the young
> players this year and they seem average starters at best, no all-star
> potential, at least as hitters.
>
> So it's the same old story, maybe there are a couple of pitching
> prospects who could turn out to be pretty good but nothing but average
> or backup types for position players.
>
> And they struggle to sign hitters in free agency. Bad park for hitters
> and ownership seem to want to tighten the purse strings.
>

> --
> Serenity Now!
That's just a myth cooked up to explain the poor hitting. The player actually hit
the ball in the first place and that has been one of the biggest problems. They've
got lousy averages to begin with and that is the core of the problem. When they
need the hits they rarely get them. Home runs shouldn't be the definition of a good
hitter when the hitter is sporting a .200 average.

Conforto and the other signing haven't done much more than go on off IL. They should
have benched Crawford, but they keep him in the lineup for crowd appeal. That's the
only way he is out there with a lousy average.