From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach:_Draymond_Green’s_worst-ever_playoff
_game_exposed_the_Warriors’_ugly_truth
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 20:27:08 -0700
 by: Allen - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 03:27 UTC

Kurtenbach: Draymond Green’s worst-ever playoff game exposed the
Warriors’ ugly truth
Golden State Warriors – Boston Celtics NBA Finals 2022: Draymond Green's
terrible Game 3 puts the Warriors in another must-win situation.
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) yells at a referee after his sixth foul against the Boston Celtics
in the fourth quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in
Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News
Group)
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) yells at a referee after his sixth foul against the Boston Celtics
in the fourth quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in
Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News
Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: June 8, 2022 at 10:25 p.m. | UPDATED: June 9, 2022 at 4:09 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/08/kurtenbach-draymond-greens-worst-ever-playoff-game-exposed-the-warriors-ugly-truth/

BOSTON — Draymond Green turned these NBA Finals with his intensity and
physicality in Game 2.

And then he turned them again a few days later in Game 3. This time, for
all the wrong reasons.

Green was not the sole reason the Warriors lost Game 3, but his
performance — the worst of his illustrious playoff career — was glaring.

What else did you expect from a player whose career has been made by
ostentation? His great is big and his bad is, too.

And on Wednesday night, that same attitude was anything but effective —
it was destructive.

Another game like that in Game 4 Friday and the Warriors’ chances of
winning a fourth title will be destroyed, too.

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) pushes Boston Celtics’ Grant Williams (12) after Green was fouled
in the second quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in
Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News
Group)

Because this series, with all of its fascinating performances and
tactical wrinkles, can really be boiled down to one big — and on
Wednesday — ugly truth:

The Warriors will live or die by the play of Green.

And seeing as how he has played this season, this postseason and now
these Finals, that’s a dangerous proposition, as the Warriors need to
win three of the next four games to claim the title.

The Warriors have never lost a playoff series under Steve Kerr when
Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Green have all played in every game. It’s
one of those stats that seems to be shoehorned, but when you consider
how many playoff series that have played in, it’s stunning.

Curry had a poor defensive game Wednesday, but he has been marvelous on
offense for three games.

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) defends against Boston Celtics’ Jaylen Brown (7) in the first
quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on
Wednesday, June 8, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Thompson’s early-series struggles melted away in Game 3 — his big
performance gave the Warriors a chance to win on the road.

But Green has not held up his end of the bargain in two of this series’
three games. His play seems directly correlated with the Warriors
winning and losing.

And worse yet, in all three games, he’s looked old.

Boston is young, strong, long and the more athletic team. What the
Warriors have in their favor is Curry and a trove of experience.

If all things are equal, that experience should win out, with Green as
the player who can most effectively weaponize it.

Green did that in Game 2. He was able to knock the young Celtics off
their game with physicality and trash talk.

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) defends against Boston Celtics’ Derrick White (9) in the second
quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on
Wednesday, June 8, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

The Celtics waited until Game 3 to respond, but they were marvelous from
the opening tip at TD Garden as “Shipping Out to Boston” blared.

And Green looked downright lost.

Even when the Warriors surged back in the third quarter, Green struggled.

He finished with two points, two turnovers, four rebounds, three assists
and six fouls. He has five made field goals and 15 fouls in this series.

Of course, the box score rarely explains Green’s impact, good or bad.

No, the truly concerning part of the Green’s Game 3 was his poor defense.

Don’t blame the “[Blank] Draymond” chants at the TD Garden.

No, credit the Celtics for their adjustment.

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) and Golden State Warriors’ Otto Porter Jr. (32) fight for the ball
against Boston Celtics’ Jaylen Brown (7) in the third quarter of Game 3
of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

The Celtics’ new offensive plan on Wednesday was to attack Curry as a
primary defender, but more specifically to go at Green as the help defender.

The Celtics had seen in the first two games that Green was over-helping,
attacking the ball handler in the mid-range instead of collapsing into
the paint. That over-aggressiveness could result in forced turnovers, as
we saw in Game 2, but Boston’s plan Wednesday counteracted that problem.

Boston’s perimeter ball-handlers weren’t looking for their own shot when
they drove in Game 3. No, Curry made penetration easy after he picked up
a soft early foul — his physicality in Game 2 helped him turn in a great
defensive game but such bumping was not going to fly in Boston — and
then, approaching the lane, with Green abandoning his mark, the Celtics’
ball handler — be that Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum or Marcus Smart — all
kicked to the man left open on the perimeter or in the dunker’s spot.

That’s a defensive breakdown and the Celtics capitalized on them early
and often.

The Celtics kept the ball moving for 40-something minutes in Game 3, and
when they do that, with their half-court defense, they are something
close to unbeatable.

In many ways, the Celtics beat the Dubs with Golden State’s template:
They turned great defense into offense and capitalized on lopsided
defenses in their half-court offense.

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry
(30) lies in pain after a loose ball wrestling match with the Boston
Celtics’ Al Horford (42) in the fourth quarter of Game 3 of the NBA
Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. Andrew
Wiggins and Jordan Poole gather themselves as the Warriors fall to the
Celtics 116-100. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

There are, of course, adjustments that the Warriors can make ahead of
Game 4. This series isn’t over — unless of course Curry cannot play on
Friday because of his foot injury, picked up late in the fourth quarter.
(Curry said after Game 3 he expects to play in Game 4.)

But the Dubs stand no chance if the hub of their defense is lost.

Success for the Dubs begins on that side of the court. Green — one of
the greatest defenders in the history of the league — must be better
there in Game 4. Do that and, like magic, the Warriors’ offense will
improve, too.

And while Green isn’t an offensive asset, he cannot be such a glaring
liability in the Warriors’ half-court sets, as he was Wednesday.

Credit to Green for this — he knew he played poorly in Game 3.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Photos: Steph Curry’s former East Bay mansion listed for $9.4 million
Kurtenbach: Warriors need every bit of injured Curry in Game 4 — and
much more from teammates
NBA Finals: Warriors star Steph Curry ‘confident’ he’ll play in Game 4
Draymond Green says podcast isn't distracting him, but ex-players
disagree
The Warriors' fourth-quarter woes define these NBA Finals

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) passes the ball against Boston Celtics’ Marcus Smart (36) in the
first quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass.,
on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

The Warriors forward said he played like excrement — translated from the
local Boston dialect, of course.

“I just think I never found a rhythm, really on both ends of the floor,”
he said. “Not enough force… I was soft. That’s what was most
disappointing to me, for us.”

Kerr and Thompson expressed confidence that Green would bounce back.

“I have all the confidence in the world in Draymond Green,” Thompson said.

“He had a tough game but I trust Draymond as much as I trust anybody,”
Kerr said. “He’s one of our best players, obviously, a championship
player. We rely on him for his energy and his brain.

He’ll bounce back. He always does.”

And now, he must.

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) gets his sixth foul of the game against the Boston Celtics’ Marcus
Smart (36) in the fourth quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals at TD
Garden in Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. (Karl Mondon/Bay
Area News Group)

Click here to read the complete article