From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Warriors_notebook:_Steph_Curry’s_got_a
_lucky_pair_of_purple_shoes
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:26:35 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 03:26 UTC

Warriors notebook: Steph Curry’s got a lucky pair of purple shoes
NBA Finals: Curry's purple shoes; Gary Payton feels 'energized' and Kerr
isn't concerned about Draymond Green
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 10: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry
(30) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Boston Celtics in the
first quarter of Game 4 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass.,
on Friday, June 10, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 10: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry
(30) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Boston Celtics in the
first quarter of Game 4 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass.,
on Friday, June 10, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 12, 2022 at 3:19 p.m. | UPDATED: June 12, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/12/warriors-notebook-steph-currys-got-a-lucky-pair-of-purple-shoes/

SAN FRANCISCO — All eyes were on Steph Curry’s feet in the hours prior
to Game 4. Anyone watching his dazzling 43-point performance in the
Warriors’ win might’ve forgotten his status was in limbo after a foot
injury late in Game 3.

Maybe a lucky pair of his signature shoes did some magic.

Curry wore the same lavender Curry Brand Under Armor shoes for Game 4
that he wore for two key games in Game 3 and for the second half of Game
4 against the Memphis Grizzlies in the Western Conference semifinals.
When he’s wearing those shoes, the Warriors are 3-0.

--
Steph Curry is in the purple shoes. His go-to. pic.twitter.com/ZdnNszdrwd

— Shayna Rubin (@ShaynaRubin) June 10, 2022
--

With the Warriors trying to avoid losing both road games and falling
into a 3-1 hole in a hostile TD Garden, it seemed the shoe choice could

“I did not even know that, so I appreciate you,” Curry said, asked about
the 3-0 record in lavender. “I don’t know if that messes with the juju
on there if I’m aware of the record now. I’ve got a lot of different
colors, so we’ll see. We’ll see what happens. Got me thinking now, too.”

A purple-shoe clad Curry scored 30 points in the Warriors’ Game 3 win
against Memphis at Chase Center, giving them a 2-1 series lead. In Game
4 two days later, he wore a pair of signature shoes honoring the late
TNT broadcaster Craig Sager. But after starting 1-for-6 from 3 in the
first half with 11 points, Golden State down three, Curry switched back
into the lavender shoes and propelled a slim 101-98 win to take a
commanding 3-1 series lead.

“Just understand we’ve been here before,” Curry said at the time about
the shoe shakeup. “Whether we won or lost, the intentions of how we
could give ourselves a chance in the fourth quarter was all we focused
on and then got it done. Shock the system a little bit.”

Is the perfect record in jeopardy now that Curry is aware of it? We’ll
see if he comes out in lavender again with a fourth title two wins away.

- Gary Payton II’s elbow

The last time the Warriors played at Chase Center, Gary Payton II drew a
thunderous applause as he returned from an elbow fracture and 10-game
hiatus.

Since his return, Payton hasn’t even been listed on the injury report.
Though he’s looked a little hesitant offensively, he’s been a key part
of the Warriors’ point-of-attack defense — trying to get the Celtics
into more turnovers. And the Warriors offense is its strongest when
they’re getting out in transition.

“I’m great. Energy is high,” Payton said. “I’ve been taking care of my
body, especially these last few days, and everything with my arm and
whatnot. I’m great, energized, ready to go.”

- Draymond Green aftermath

Draymond Green wasn’t thrilled with the fourth quarter benching in Game
4, but asserted on his podcast he understood why coach Steve Kerr made
the choice to switch him and Jordan Poole for a handful of
defensive/offensive possessions.

Green, offensively, is a non-factor against this athletic and long
Celtics defense, but he’s necessary to coordinate defensive stops. With
Kevon Looney playing a strong game, the decision to switch in Poole for
offensive possessions allowed the Warriors to create more spacing and
combat Boston’s shot-blocking and congestion in the paint, Kerr said.

Kerr didn’t need to explain the decision at the time, Green said on the
podcast, and Kerr said Sunday there’s no need for a follow-up
conversation, either.

“Nope. Draymond is Draymond,” Kerr said. “He’s going to bring it every
night. I think the thing that maybe got lost the other night is how good
he was down the stretch. He ends up in the game with four steals. He was
brilliant defensively. He did what we needed to do to win the game.

“Everybody is locked in on his scoring. Scoring has always been kind of
the last thing that we need from him. We need his defense, his energy,
his force, his competitiveness. Down the stretch of the game, he made
huge plays at both ends.”

Green said Juan Toscano-Anderson and Payton were among the players on
the bench in his ear, keeping him motivated through the four minutes he
spent on the bench during crunch time. But he was felt throughout the
game defensively — those four steals were indicative of a strong
defensive effort that thwarted Boston’s attack in the paint.

“I think I made an impact on the game the whole game,” Green said. “I
think you can get caught up in everything that’s going around, but those
that watch and understand basketball, I made an impact the entire game.
So I don’t think there was a switch last couple minutes.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Mellow Andrew Wiggins has never been more expressive than at NBA Finals
NBA Finals: How will Warriors’ friendlier confines impact Celtics in
Game 5?
How Warriors, Bay Area helped Celtics win all 17 of their NBA titles
Photos: Curry wills Warriors to Game 4 win
LeBron James leads the world of sports in heaping praise on Warriors’
Steph Curry

- Coaching vacancy talk on the back burner

When the Finals are over, the Warriors will lose two of their top
assistant coaches.

Mike Brown was hired in May to fill the Sacramento Kings head coaching
vacancy and reports that Kenny Atkinson signed a four-year deal to coach
the Charlotte Hornets surfaced before Game 4.

Any concerns over the looming shake-up is far on the back burner, Kerr said.

“Honestly, the answer is we’ve barely given it any thought just because
of business at hand. We know that in a week or so, we can get to all
that,” he said. “I won’t comment on anything until the teams involved
are going to make comments. So I guess we can have that discussion after
the series is over.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter