From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Inman: Warriors notebook: How the Celtics want to defend Steph
Curry
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:21:37 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 03:21 UTC

Warriors notebook: How the Celtics want to defend Steph Curry
Plus: Steve Kerr talks health updates, how difficult it is to three-peat
and the anniversary of his defining NBA Finals moment
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors head coach
Steve Kerr talks to Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) during
their game against the Boston Celtics in the first quarter of Game 3 of
the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 08: Golden State Warriors head coach
Steve Kerr talks to Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) during
their game against the Boston Celtics in the first quarter of Game 3 of
the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, June 8,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By CAM INMAN | cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 13, 2022 at 5:08 p.m. | UPDATED: June 14, 2022 at 4:07 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/13/warriors-notebook-how-the-celtics-want-to-defend-steph-curry/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Boston Celtics don’t exactly have a secret strategy
in trying to slow Steph Curry’s dominance in these NBA Finals.

So, what is their strategy for Game 5, after Curry’s 43 points sparked
the Warriors’ Game 4 win to even the series 2-2?

“At times we’re allowing our guards to kind of dictate where they want
to pick him up,” Celtics coach Ime Udoka said 90 minutes before tipoff.
“Some of those things are creating some space and opportunity for him to
get downhill with some of the picks that they’re setting around half court.

“We have to be a little bit more deliberate about that, understand he
can stretch the floor. We don’t want to bring our bigs that far off
where he has a ton of room to operate. But we do want to impact him, not
just let him get a head of steam coming down.”

Curry is averaging 34.3 points in the Finals on 50-percent shooting from
the floor (47-of-94), and nearly just as sharp from 3-point range
(25-of-51, 49 percent).

“He’s obviously one of the best at it,” Udoka added. “With his range,
ball-handling ability, play-making ability it puts you in certain
predicaments that are tough for you.”

Udoka wants his team to “see the big picture” and not get blinded by
“just Curry getting loose.” If the Celtics can cut down their turnovers
and avoid offensive struggles, their coach likes their chances, with a
return trip to Boston already on the itinerary for Game 6 on Thursday night.

>RELATED ARTICLES
How Poole’s buzzer beater spurred Warriors’ fourth-quarter spurt to
beat Celtics
Is Steph Curry still a shoo-in for series MVP after Wiggins' big night?
Photos: Golden State Warriors win Game 5 over Boston Celtics by 10
After ‘atrocious’ outing and benching in Boston, Draymond Green
answers the call in Game 5
Kurtenbach: ‘Checkbook win’? ESPN commentator’s post-Game 5 potshot
is embarrassing

THREE-PEAT TALK

When Warriors coach Steve Kerr got asked before Game 5 about the
challenges of a three-peat, it wasn’t meant as a cruel reminder how his
Warriors failed at that feat in 2019.

Instead, Kerr was asked about a three-peat because of the Tampa Bay
Lightning’s quest in the Stanley Cup Finals.

“I just think the accumulation of emotion and the physical wear and tear
that you deal with over time,” Kerr said of the challenges. “I think you
go from the first year where it’s kind of fresh and new, you know, by
the third year you’ve been hunted by every other team and everyone’s
building their team to try to beat you.

“You’ve had short offseasons for a couple years in a row. It just wears
you out, for sure. So I think winning three in a row in any sport is a
pretty incredible accomplishment.”

Maybe that’s a quote to file away for 2024, if the Warriors prevail in
this series and next year’s Finals.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Kerr not only was part of the Chicago Bulls’ three consecutive title
runs in 1996-98, he hit the game-winning shot to clinch the 1997 NBA
Finals — 25 years ago to the day.

“Somebody sent me that (highlight) this morning. An incredible memory
obviously,” Kerr said. “Something every young basketball player dreams
of. So to be able to live that was pretty amazing. And then the fact
that it’s 25 years ago just makes me feel old, of course.”

HEALTH UPDATES

Both Otto Porter and Andre Iguodala were listed as questionable for Game
5, and “they’re good to go,” said Kerr, adding that neither player will
be restricted in their minutes if on the floor.

Kerr wouldn’t reveal his lineup 90 minutes before tipoff, but he did
praise Kevon Looney, who came off the bench to help key their Game 4 win.

“This year he had his best season of his career,” Kerr said. “He’s grown
into an elite rebounder. Played in every game. So we have a ton of faith
in Loon. He’s done an incredible job for us.”

--
Cam Inman | San Francisco 49ers reporter
Cam Inman joined the Bay Area News Group in 1995, specializing in the