From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Warriors’_Klay_Thompson_back_on_top_aft
er_overcoming_injuries:_‘He_came_back_better_than_ever

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 21:45:59 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 04:45 UTC

Warriors’ Klay Thompson back on top after overcoming injuries: ‘He came
back better than ever’
The Warriors were champions, again. And Thompson didn't want to take one
second of it for granted.
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson
(11) gets a fist bump from Tony Robbins after winning the NBA
Championship after Game 6 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston,
Mass., on Thursday, June 16, 2022. The Golden State Warriors defeated
the Boston Celtics 103-90. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson
(11) gets a fist bump from Tony Robbins after winning the NBA
Championship after Game 6 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston,
Mass., on Thursday, June 16, 2022. The Golden State Warriors defeated
the Boston Celtics 103-90. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 16, 2022 at 11:25 p.m. | UPDATED: June 17, 2022 at 6:59 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/16/warriors-klay-thompson-back-on-top-after-overcoming-injuries-he-came-back-better-than-ever/

BOSTON – Klay Thompson was one of the last Warriors players standing on
the stage at TD Garden after the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy
presentation celebration.

The Warriors were champions, again. And Thompson didn’t want to take one
second of it for granted.

“I was feeling absolutely incredible,” a champagne-soaked Thompson said
of that moment of pure bliss after the Warriors beat the Celtics 103-90
to win another NBA title. “I was feeling just so high on life that I did
not want to leave the stage, and I just know how hard this is, and to be
here for a fourth time, like so grateful for my teammates.”

Thompson had a feeling from the beginning of this season that this could
happen. Back in November, still months away from his long-anticipated
return, Thompson confidently proclaimed this season was “championship or
bust” for the Warriors, who sprinted to an 18-2 start despite being
undermanned.

“People called me crazy,” Thompson recalled. “I knew we had a chance to
do something special, and here we are. It’s so incredible. Wow.”

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green
(23) hugs Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry (30) after Curry received
the MVP trophy, next to Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson (11),
following their 103-90 win over the Boston Celtics in Game 6 to win the
NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Thursday, June 16, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) hugs Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) after Curry received
the MVP trophy, next to Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson (11),
following their 103-90 win over the Boston Celtics in Game 6 to win the
NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Thursday, June 16, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

The prophecy has been fulfilled and the taste of sweet victory — mixed
with champagne and beer, of course — made the last three years of pain
and suffering that Thompson endured worth it.

“I’m just at a loss for words at times. Because I knew this was possible
but to be here in real time, man, I don’t want to leave,” he said. “I
want to enjoy every second of this. I know how fleeting it can be.”

Thompson’s resiliency to overcome not one but two career-altering
injuries has been inspiring to his teammates.

“I’m excited for him, man. Seen all the work he put in, and all the
dedication and all the hard work he had, dealing with all the injuries
and all the ups and downs he had… he came back better than ever, on a
mission,” a buzzing Kevon Looney said after the victory. “He helped us
win a lot of games and helped us win this championship.”

It’s been 1,099 days since Thompson crumpled to the court of Oracle
Arena in excruciating pain during Game 6 of the 2019 NBA Finals. He
memorably tried to stay in the game, shooting a pair of free throws
before exiting for a final time. He knew he would be back eventually but
he didn’t know when and at what level he would play.

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson
(11) dribbles against Boston Celtics' Jaylen Brown (7) in the first
quarter of Game 6 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on
Thursday, June 16, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson
(11) dribbles against Boston Celtics’ Jaylen Brown (7) in the first
quarter of Game 6 of the NBA Finals at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on
Thursday, June 16, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

>RELATED ARTICLES
‘Hungover’ Warriors return to bask in California sunshine — and their
championship
Draymond Green’s post-title podcast focuses on Warriors appreciation,
with a few barbs
Joc Pederson, a lifelong Warriors fan, had ‘unbelievable experience’
sitting courtside for latest Finals win
Did the Warriors’ fourth title and Steph Curry’s Finals MVP silence
doubters? Well, not all of them.
Moore: Curry’s Finals MVP ends the dishonest criticism of his playoff
resume

Thompson seemed to be nearing his return when his right Achilles tendon
betrayed him before the 2020-21 season.

“The second time it happened it was like, ‘What the heck is going on,
man?’” he said. “Just to stay with it, just calf raise after calf raise,
after underwater treadmill, so many days, not even touching a ball.”

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors physiotherapist
Rick Celebrini celebrates with Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson (11)
after winning the NBA Championship after Game 6 of the NBA Finals at TD
Garden in Boston, Mass., on Thursday, June 16, 2022. The Golden State
Warriors defeated the Boston Celtics 103-90. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay
Area News Group)
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors physiotherapist
Rick Celebrini celebrates with Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson (11)
after winning the NBA Championship after Game 6 of the NBA Finals at TD
Garden in Boston, Mass., on Thursday, June 16, 2022. The Golden State
Warriors defeated the Boston Celtics 103-90. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay
Area News Group)

But Thompson powered through the strenuous and slow rehabilitation
process for this. Now, he’s joining his teammates Stephen Curry,
Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala to be among only 40 all-time NBA
players who have won four titles.

“The anguish that Klay has felt over the last three years… people can
guess as to what it is like, but we saw it up close. And between a
second year-long injury and losing what he loves to do most in life —
playing the game — it’s been a rough go for him,” coach Steve Kerr said.
“So his return was special for us on and off the floor because of what
he’s meant to the organization, what he’s done for this team, and then
of course his play. I mean, his two-way ability is up at the top of the
league. So we’re thrilled for Klay.”

Added Looney, “Credit to him. He’s a hard worker. He’s the ultimate
professional, and he’s somebody you can always rely on. So I’m just
proud to be his teammate and be able to be with him this long.”

>BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - JUNE 16: Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry
(30) celebrates with teammate Klay Thompson (11) after winning the NBA
Championship at TD Garden in Boston, Mass., on Thursday, June 16, 2022.