From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Simon/Kenney: Kenny Atkinson pulls out of Hornets head job at last
second, will remain Warriors assistant
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:24:25 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 02:24 UTC

Kenny Atkinson pulls out of Hornets head job at last second, will remain
Warriors assistant
The one-time head coach seemed like he would be returning to the role
with Charlotte, but a report shows he seems to have changed his mind
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – FEBRUARY 16: Golden State Warriors coaching staff
Bruce Fraser, left, Kenny Atkinson, head coach Steve Kerr and Mike Brown
watch the game against the Denver Nuggets in the fourth quarter of their
NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, Feb.
16, 2022. The Warriors lost on a buzzer-beater by Denver Nuggets’ Monte
Morris (11) (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – FEBRUARY 16: Golden State Warriors coaching staff
Bruce Fraser, left, Kenny Atkinson, head coach Steve Kerr and Mike Brown
watch the game against the Denver Nuggets in the fourth quarter of their
NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, Feb.
16, 2022. The Warriors lost on a buzzer-beater by Denver Nuggets’ Monte
Morris (11) (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By ALEX SIMON | asimon@bayareanewsgroup.com and MADELINE KENNEY |
mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 18, 2022 at 12:57 p.m. | UPDATED: June 18, 2022 at 5:20 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/18/report-kenny-atkinson-pulls-out-of-hornets-head-job-at-last-second-will-remain-warriors-assistant/

It seemed that Kenny Atkinson was going to leave the Warriors for a head
coaching job with the Charlotte Hornets.

But that was before the Warriors won their fourth title in eight years.

Now, according to reports, Atkinson has decided to stick around as Steve
Kerr’s top assistant, turning back an offer to coach Michael Jordan’s
Hornets.

--
ESPN Sources: Kenny Atkinson has decided he won’t become the Charlotte
Hornets’ head coach and will remain with Golden State as top assistant.

“That means a lot,” Warriors wing Andrew Wiggins said upon hearing the
news. “He gave up a head coaching job to come back and be part of this
thing we got here, it’s amazing. It shows that what we got here is a
bunch of people that want to win. We’re all on the same page and we’re
looking forward to the future.”

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that “further conversations” were a
factor in Atkinson’s decision to stay with Golden State — which, it’s
reasonable to assume, meant the Warriors and owner Joe Lacob were ready
to financially incentivize Atkinson to remain.

But in a recent interview with Heavy.com, Atkinson seemed to indicate he
really appreciated his role with Golden State – and the life experience
out West.

“It’s a great experience being considered (for head coaching jobs), but,
man, I’m in such a great place — not only from basketball, but from a
living in California, the Bay Area, the whole thing. Kids love the
school, wife loves it,” Atkinson told Heavy.com. “So it almost takes the
pressure off when you’re really in a good situation. I mean, I’m still
competitive, and I try to do my best in interviewing and everything, but
also in the back of my mind I’m saying, like, man, if I don’t get
another shot, I’m in a great, great situation.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors: Will Jonathan Kuminga play in Summer League?
Warriors notebook: Wiseman ‘90% sure’ he will play in Summer League
Kurtenbach: The Warriors built a perpetual winning machine. Now they
have to pay for it
‘Hungover’ Warriors return to bask in California sunshine — and their
championship
Draymond Green’s post-title podcast focuses on Warriors appreciation,
with a few barbs

Atkinson was the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets from 2016-20, helping
Brooklyn complete a major turnaround from a 20-62 record in his first
season to a 42-40 record and a playoff appearance in his third year.
Before his fourth season, Brooklyn signed former Warrior Kevin Durant as
well as Kyrie Irving and Atkinson seemed to be pushed out, with a
mid-March resignation framed as a “mutual parting of ways.”

Atkinson, 55, spent 2020-21 as a Clippers assistant, then joined the
Warriors for this past year. He was seen as a vital piece of their deep
coaching bench, alongside former head coach — and soon-to-be Sacramento
Kings head coach — Mike Brown.

With Brown departing for the Kings, Atkinson would be the Warriors’
likely fill-in at the head coaching role should Steve Kerr, 56, need a
replacement for a game. Kerr missed three games in the Western
Conference semifinals after testing positive for COVID, but he has
missed portions of seasons in the past with a variety of physical health
ailments, too.

And while Kerr put on his best coaching performance of his career to
help the Warriors with their fourth title in his eight years at the
helm, it’s interesting to wonder if retaining Atkinson is a sign of how
long Kerr wants to keep coaching.