From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Simon:_Kevin_Durant_opens_up_on_Warriors’_recen
t_title_and_his_time_with_the_Dubs
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 19:53:54 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 02:53 UTC

Kevin Durant opens up on Warriors’ recent title and his time with the Dubs
On his first podcast in months, Durant pushed back on the notion that
he's jealous of his former teammates after Warriors won NBA title
without him.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – FEBRUARY 13: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry
(30) is guarded by. Brooklyn Nets’ Kevin Durant (7) in the third quarter
of their NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday,
Feb. 13, 2021. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – FEBRUARY 13: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry
(30) is guarded by. Brooklyn Nets’ Kevin Durant (7) in the third quarter
of their NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday,
Feb. 13, 2021. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By ALEX SIMON | asimon@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 24, 2022 at 6:12 p.m. | UPDATED: June 25, 2022 at 8:40 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/24/kevin-durant-opens-up-on-warriors-recent-title-and-his-time-with-the-dubs/

When Kevin Durant dropped his first podcast episode in months, he had a
lot to say about the Warriors and the media narrative surrounding
himself and the NBA champions.

The Nets star covered a lot of topics during his podcast, The ETCs with
Kevin Durant co-hosted by Eddie Gonzalez. But he spent a good portion of
his podcast discussing his former team and claiming he was never jealous
of his Warrior teammates — even accusing media members of “trying to lie
on my name.”

Durant said that there’s “always been a dialogue” about him being pitted
against his teammates, going back to his Oklahoma City days.

“I like those dudes. Like, I played basketball with those guys and I was
a part of that dynasty that they’re building right now,” Durant said.

Durant admitted that he didn’t think the Warriors were considered a
dynasty until they won this most recent championship. But while he’s
proud of the Warriors, he didn’t seem to appreciate how people thought
he would view the Golden State return to the mountaintop.

“I have some pride — like, damn, I was a part of something special, even
though it was only two championships out of the four,” Durant said. “We
had some amazing times. To see them finish it and continue it, yeah, you
have a sense of pride to be a part of that.

“But then, when you listen to the broadcast and it’s just like, ‘Well,
KD should be feeling this way,’ and it’s like, ‘Oh, here we go.’ They
can’t let me just enjoy what they’re doing instead of trying to pit me
against them, because I’m always going to take my side.”

Durant said he felt like he was a positive contributor “every single
second” he was a part of the Warriors — every practice, shootaround and
game. He continued to strongly push back at the notion that he was
jealous of his Warrior teammates like Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and
Draymond Green back when he played with them.

“Steph and Klay broke the 3-point record while I was with the team. How
am I jealous when I’m sitting in the corner, passing. I’m used to
getting 20 shots, averaging 30 points per game,” Durant said. “I was
about the group always. Never jealous of no teammate ever.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
How Patrick Baldwin Jr. and Ryan Rollins fit into the Warriors’
future core
From agony to celebration: Baldwin’s long draft wait lands him with
Warriors
Kevin Durant coming back to the Warriors? It's not a pipe dream
How do draft moves around the NBA night impact the Warriors?
The Warriors are the Bay's top organization — their NBA Draft showed why

Durant then criticized members of the Bay Area media — including some
directly by name — for “lying and attacking” him, calling him jealous
and saying he alienated teammates. Even though he operated on one-year
deals in his entire time in Golden State, he felt like the local media
created “unnecessary drama” between him and his team.

“My presence probably was just doing it. ‘Oh, you came back on a
one-year deal.’ It’s like, why is that such a problem?’” Durant asked
rhetorically. “Why is that making you feel a way? That I didn’t sign a
three-year deal to stay here? Why is that a problem? That has nothing to
do with how I’m operating in the locker room.”

While it may not have affected how Durant operated in the locker room,
it seems clear that it affected everyone else around him. It’s
noteworthy that Warriors coach Steve Kerr once said he enjoyed coaching
Golden State’s 2019-20 season — when they were an NBA-worst 15-50 — more
than Durant’s final year with the Warriors.

Durant said he did everything because he was trying to win, and there’s
no question that he and the Warriors accomplished that. But he admitted
that the narratives he felt forming around and about him — that he was
selfish, that he had ulterior motives — ”hurt more than anything.”

RELATED ARTICLES
Kevin Durant coming back to the Warriors? It's not a pipe dream
Not everything Durant said seemed to be defensive of himself. He had
praise for Finals MVP Steph Curry, saying his Game 4 performance was
“iconic” and realized Curry was fully locked in to the game not through
his 43 points, but his 10 rebounds.

“That game there was just, like, one of the greatest we’ve ever seen,”
Durant said. “And in that environment and the shots he was making. And
the rebounds, it was the rebounds for me. Playing with Steph, that’s how
I know he’s super, super engaged — when he’s on the boards heavy.”

Durant also discussed the NBA Draft, his Brooklyn teammate Kyrie
Irving’s situation, Charles Barkley’s “ride the bus” comments and his
new KD 15 shoes that are dropping soon.

But his comments on his three years in Warriors blue and gold were, by
far, the most interesting.