From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Simon/Kenney: Warriors decline to give Juan Toscano-Anderson
qualifying offer, making him free agent
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 15:50:48 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 22:50 UTC

Not a surprise. -AL

Warriors decline to give Juan Toscano-Anderson qualifying offer, making
him free agent
The Warriors will let Juan Toscano-Anderson enter unrestricted free
agency after the Oakland native finished his third season with the team.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 20: Golden State Warriors’ Juan
Toscano-Anderson (95) interacts with fans during the Championship Parade
on Market Street in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, June 20, 2022. The
Warriors won their fourth NBA Championship in eight seasons after
defeating the Boston Celtics in the Game 6. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 20: Golden State Warriors’ Juan
Toscano-Anderson (95) interacts with fans during the Championship Parade
on Market Street in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, June 20, 2022. The
Warriors won their fourth NBA Championship in eight seasons after
defeating the Boston Celtics in the Game 6. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By ALEX SIMON | asimon@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 29, 2022 at 3:33 p.m. | UPDATED: June 29, 2022 at 3:34 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/29/warriors-decline-to-make-juan-toscano-anderson-qualifying-offer/

The Warriors have been chock-full of feel-good stories over the past
several years. One of the best ones, though, may be reaching its
conclusion with the team.

Oakland native Juan Toscano-Anderson was not offered a qualifying offer,
sources confirm to Bay Area News Group. The Warriors also did not give
guard Chris Chiozza a qualifying offer, making both him and
Toscano-Anderson unrestricted free agents.

Had the Warriors given Toscano-Anderson a qualifying offer, it would
have been for $2.1 million, slightly above the approximately $1.8
million he would receive if he signed for the minimum salary.

Toscano-Anderson grew up a Warriors fan and went to games at Oracle
Arena. After years of working his way through international leagues,
including stops in Mexico and Venezueals and the G-League,
Toscano-Anderson joined hen he joined the Warriors roster in February
2020 and wore No. 95 in honor of his childhood Oakland upbringing, which
included living on 95th Street.

As a two-way player for most of the 2020-21 season, Toscano-Anderson
emerged as an effective role player, averaging 20.9 minutes per game
across 53 games played and 16 starts. The Warriors converted his two-way
deal into a full-time contract on May 13, 2021, with a 2021-22 roster
spot guaranteed — a moment that sparked an emotional phone call with his
mother.

In the 2021-22 title-winning season, Toscano-Anderson’s role decreased
as the season went along, from being an active member of the rotation
early to only playing in end-of-quarter defensive possessions or in
garbage time by the playoffs.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ James Wiseman won’t play in California Classic, eyes chance
to return in Las Vegas
Stephen Curry tabbed as host of 2022 ESPYS
Warriors 2022 draft pick to miss Summer League with foot injury
Warriors set Summer League roster, highlighted by James Wiseman
NBA free agency: Evaluating all the Warriors’ contract situations

The decision to not give Toscano-Anderson a qualifying offer doesn’t
necessarily mean the Warriors are not bringing him back, but it is an
indication that they are prioritizing their younger wing players —
particularly Jonathan Kuminga, Moses Moody and potentially Patrick
Baldwin Jr. — over Toscano-Anderson.

By declining to make him a qualifying offer, the Warriors also allow
Toscano-Anderson to seek out a new NBA team that could offer him a
larger role and more playing time than he may get in Golden State next year.

And under Bob Myers and Steve Kerr, the Warriors have brought back
players for a second stint with the team before — think Andrew Bogut,
Kent Bazemore and Andre Iguodala. So even if Toscano-Anderson is playing
for another team next season, he could always return again.

But no matter what, Toscano-Anderson will forever have been a part of a
championship with his childhood team. If that’s the final chapter of his
time with the Warriors, then what a finish it was.

--
Madeline Kenney contributed to this report.

--
Alex Simon | Sports Digital Strategist/Editor
Alex is a sports digital strategist and editor for Bay Area News Group.

Re: Simon/Kenney: Warriors decline to give Juan Toscano-Anderson qualifying offer, making him free agent

<ji4d8mF7l3mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4246&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4246

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
qualifying offer, making him free agent
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 21:40:25 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 01:40 UTC

Allen wrote:
> Not a surprise.  -AL

No, but too bad his Warriors story may be ending on a downslope.

--Robin