I like your game but we have to change the rules.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / GPII to sign with Portland

SubjectAuthor
* GPII to sign with PortlandRobin Miller
+* Re: GPII to sign with PortlandRobin Miller
|`- Re: GPII to sign with PortlandRobin Miller
+* Re: GPII to sign with PortlandNFN Smith
|`- Re: GPII to sign with PortlandRobin Miller
+- Re: GPII to sign with PortlandDavid Farber
`* Re: GPII to sign with PortlandAllen
 `- Re: GPII to sign with PortlandRobin Miller

1
GPII to sign with Portland

<ji8i1nFru3dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4257&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4257

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: GPII to sign with Portland
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 11:26:40 -0400
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 15:26 UTC

Anthony Slater @anthonyVslater

Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and resulting
tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their defensive ace off
the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals per 36 minutes last
season.

1:37 AM · Jul 1, 2022

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1542744154538594304

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Free agent Gary Payton II is finalizing a three-year, $28 million deal
with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium

--Robin

Re: GPII to sign with Portland

<ji8i9pFru3dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4258&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4258

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: GPII to sign with Portland
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 11:30:58 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 15:30 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:

> Anthony Slater  @anthonyVslater
>
> Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and resulting
> tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their defensive ace off
> the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals per 36 minutes last
> season.
>
> 1:37 AM · Jul 1, 2022
>
> https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1542744154538594304
>

> Shams Charania  @ShamsCharania
>
> Free agent Gary Payton II is finalizing a three-year, $28 million deal
> with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources tell @TheAthletic  @Stadium
>

> --Robin

Marcus Thompson II @ThompsonScribe

GP2 is a singular talent. What he does is special. He deserved to get paid.

But Moses Moody is up now. Young fella has real potential

2:28 AM · Jul 1, 2022

https://twitter.com/ThompsonScribe/status/1542757126686134272

Marcus Thompson II @ThompsonScribe

Not sure you can just put him on Ja and that ilk, yet. So that may not
fill the hole they will have this year. But he can grow into something
effective.

Marcus Thompson II @ThompsonScribe

The risk of losing Looney and GP2 is not being able to replace them.
Maybe they can find a starting C (to hold them over until Wiseman’s
ready) with the TPMLE. Maybe. But can Warriors again find someone to
defend elite PGs for the minimum?

Remember, title defenses are harder.

--Robin

Re: GPII to sign with Portland

<ji8ik3Fs0bdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4259&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4259

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 11:36:28 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 15:36 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> Robin Miller wrote:
>>

>> Anthony Slater  @anthonyVslater
>>
>> Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and
>> resulting tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their
>> defensive ace off the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals
>> per 36 minutes last season.
>>
>> 1:37 AM · Jul 1, 2022
>>
>> https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1542744154538594304
>>

>> Shams Charania  @ShamsCharania
>>
>> Free agent Gary Payton II is finalizing a three-year, $28 million deal
>> with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources tell @TheAthletic  @Stadium
>>

>> --Robin
>

> Marcus Thompson II  @ThompsonScribe
>
> GP2 is a singular talent. What he does is special. He deserved to get paid.
>
> But Moses Moody is up now. Young fella has real potential
>
> 2:28 AM · Jul 1, 2022
>
> https://twitter.com/ThompsonScribe/status/1542757126686134272
>

> Marcus Thompson II  @ThompsonScribe
>
> Not sure you can just put him on Ja and that ilk, yet. So that may not
> fill the hole they will have this year. But he can grow into something
> effective.
>

> Marcus Thompson II  @ThompsonScribe
>
> The risk of losing Looney and GP2 is not being able to replace them.
> Maybe they can find a starting C (to hold them over until Wiseman’s
> ready) with the TPMLE. Maybe. But can Warriors again find someone to
> defend elite PGs for the minimum?
>
> Remember, title defenses are harder.
>

> --Robin

Tim Kawakami @timkawakami

Nice money for GP2, who absolutely deserves it.

My guess from the outset was that the Warriors had a fairly set number
for the combination of Looney and GP2. And GP2 was the wild card. So
it's Looney now.

GSWs have to land him or the offseason is on semi tilt.

GP2 is unique. But at some point they have to believe that Moody can
take some of those minutes, as he did when Payton was out during the
Dallas series.

Moody might not fill all of that, obviously. It's a loss.

I agree with everything JD says here >>

John Dickinson @JDJohnDickinson

My guess is the Warriors had GPII penciled in for midlevel exception
type money ($6.479M x 3 years) but beyond that it would be tough
especially w/lux tax multiplying that in actual cash.

Blazers offered enough of an uncomfortable price point and got their man.

--Robin

Re: GPII to sign with Portland

<t9n76f$1u41$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4260&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4260

From: worldoff...@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:25:51 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:25 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and resulting
> tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their defensive ace off
> the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals per 36 minutes last
> season.

I'm really sorry to see him go, but I agree that he deserves to get paid.

Unfortunately, for most of the Warriors' free agents, except maybe
Looney, I think they're pretty much telling everybody "we'd really love
to have you back, but if you want more money or more minutes (or both),
you'll have to go somewhere else". I remember noting this about JaVale
McGee when he left.

And for the guys at the back of the roster, especially JTA, Lee and
Bjelica, there may be even less minutes for them, with the development
of Kuminga and Moody, and especially if the Warriors end up carrying
Baldwin and Rollins on the 15 man roster (even if both see a lot of time
in Santa Cruz).

Going into free agency, my sense of the priority for re-signings has
been Looney, GP II, Porter, and then whatever they can fill in on
Veteran's Minimum contracts. Maybe GP II or Porter on the Mid-level
exception.

If both Porter and GP II are gone, then it seems pretty likely that
Looney stays. And for good measure, I think that means that the MLE is
still available to give to somebody. And as with the last off-season,
the Warriors may be trolling the streets for a couple of guys that are
willing to take minimum one-year deals to be a part of a team that
should be contending for another trophy.

Speaking of JaVale, I think I saw that he's signing a 3-year deal with
Dallas. Somewhere along, I saw a suggestion on one of the blogs that he
might be a way of adding some extra size in the pivot. I don't know if
his salary would fit, but somebody that signs a 3-year deal on the first
day of free agency is definitely not going to fit.

Thus, for filling the remaining holes on the roster, other than
resigning Looney, I think it likely that we don't hear much activity
from the Warriors until after the summer leagues are done.

One other wildcard would be Iguodala -- is he finished, or not? My
sense is that because of all the time he missed with injuries, it's
doubtful to expect another season would be any different, with another
year of accumulated age. But I'll bet that the Warriors let him make
the decision, and if he wants one more year, he'll get it, assuming that
the contract works. Personally, I'd love to see him move to the
coaching staff, given his coaching-type presence this year. I don't
know if he wants to do that, though.

Smith

Re: GPII to sign with Portland

<ji8rshFta70U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4262&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4262

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 14:14:32 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 18:14 UTC

NFN Smith wrote:
> Robin Miller wrote:
>> Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and
>> resulting tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their
>> defensive ace off the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals
>> per 36 minutes last season.
>

> I'm really sorry to see him go, but I agree that he deserves to get paid.
>
> Unfortunately, for most of the Warriors' free agents, except maybe
> Looney, I think they're pretty much telling everybody "we'd really love
> to have you back, but if you want more money or more minutes (or both),
> you'll have to go somewhere else".  I remember noting this about JaVale
> McGee when he left.
>
> And for the guys at the back of the roster, especially JTA, Lee and
> Bjelica, there may be even less minutes for them, with the development
> of Kuminga and Moody, and especially if the Warriors end up carrying
> Baldwin and Rollins on the 15 man roster (even if both see a lot of time
> in Santa Cruz).
>
> Going into free agency, my sense of the priority for re-signings has
> been Looney, GP II, Porter, and then whatever they can fill in on
> Veteran's Minimum contracts.  Maybe GP II or Porter on the Mid-level
> exception.
>
> If both Porter and GP II are gone, then it seems pretty likely that
> Looney stays.  And for good measure, I think that means that the MLE is
> still available to give to somebody.  And as with the last off-season,
> the Warriors may be trolling the streets for a couple of guys that are
> willing to take minimum one-year deals to be a part of a team that
> should be contending for another trophy.
>
> Speaking of JaVale, I think I saw that he's signing a 3-year deal with
> Dallas.  Somewhere along, I saw a suggestion on one of the blogs that he
> might be a way of adding some extra size in the pivot.  I don't know if
> his salary would fit, but somebody that signs a 3-year deal on the first
> day of free agency is definitely not going to fit.
>
> Thus, for filling the remaining holes on the roster, other than
> resigning Looney, I think it likely that we don't hear much activity
> from the Warriors until after the summer leagues are done.
>
> One other wildcard would be Iguodala -- is he finished, or not?  My
> sense is that because of all the time he missed with injuries, it's
> doubtful to expect another season would be any different, with another
> year of accumulated age.  But I'll bet that the Warriors let him make
> the decision, and if he wants one more year, he'll get it, assuming that
> the contract works.  Personally, I'd love to see him move to the
> coaching staff, given his coaching-type presence this year.  I don't
> know if he wants to do that, though.
>
> Smith

I generally agree with this. I think the Warriors will re-sign Bjelica
again on a veteran's minimum contract. Beyond that, I am curious which
other veterans they end up signing. I'd really like to get rid of Lee,
but he may stay if only because the Warriors are losing so many players.

I hope Iguodala retires. At this point, he's a waste of a roster spot.

I think the Warriors only have 11 players under contract (not including
two-ways) for next season (assuming Iguodala signed a one-year contract
last season and is a free agent):

PG: Curry, Poole

SG: Thompson, Moody, Rollins

SF: Wiggins, Lee [Iguodala?]

PF: Green, Kuminga, Baldwin [Bjelica?]

C: Wiseman [Looney?]

Two-way contracts: Quinndary Weatherspoon, Lester Quiñones

Stashed somewhere: Gui Santos

If they re-sign the three ?s, that would give them 14 and probably fill
out the team for now.

--Robin

Re: GPII to sign with Portland

<t9pmiu$2l34q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4272&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4272

From: farberbe...@aol.com (David Farber)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 08:00:51 -0700
 by: David Farber - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 15:00 UTC

On 7/1/2022 8:26 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Anthony Slater  @anthonyVslater
>
> Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and resulting
> tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their defensive ace off
> the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals per 36 minutes last
> season.
>
> 1:37 AM · Jul 1, 2022
>
> https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1542744154538594304
>

> Shams Charania  @ShamsCharania
>
> Free agent Gary Payton II is finalizing a three-year, $28 million deal
> with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources tell @TheAthletic  @Stadium
>

> --Robin
I wonder; how do Steph, Klay, Draymond, and Coach Kerr feel about this?
If I remember correctly, the aforementioned main cast implored
management to sign GPII for that 15th spot. I think not signing him was
a horrible BLUNDER. GPII is more than the sum of his stat lines and his
price tag was cheap at any cost.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Re: GPII to sign with Portland

<t9qc8b$2nahc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4273&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4273

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 14:10:35 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 21:10 UTC

On 7/1/2022 8:26 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Anthony Slater  @anthonyVslater
>
> Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and resulting
> tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their defensive ace off
> the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals per 36 minutes last
> season.
>
> 1:37 AM · Jul 1, 2022
>
> https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1542744154538594304
>

> Shams Charania  @ShamsCharania
>
> Free agent Gary Payton II is finalizing a three-year, $28 million deal
> with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources tell @TheAthletic  @Stadium
>

> --Robin

Good for GPII. He's worked hard and now has his big payday at last. I
think he got too much for the Warriors to match. With DiVincenzo instead
of GPII I think the Warriors will be not quite as good defensively (but
DiVincenzo is supposed to be a good defender) but better offensively on
the 2nd team.

I think with Porter and Bjelica's loss the Warriors now need to sign
another big. Porter was pretty good at just about everything. Kuminga
will probably get most of his minutes, and if Baldwin comes through
Porter's loss won't hurt so much. But I still think the Warriors need
another veteran big.

Re: GPII to sign with Portland

<jic2t1FcslaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4282&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4282

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 19:32:40 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 23:32 UTC

Allen wrote:
> On 7/1/2022 8:26 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>

>> Anthony Slater  @anthonyVslater
>>
>> Warriors were unwilling to meet that high of a price tag (and
>> resulting tax spike) for Gary Payton II and have now lost their
>> defensive ace off the bench to the Blazers. He led the NBA in steals
>> per 36 minutes last season.
>>
>> 1:37 AM · Jul 1, 2022
>>
>> https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1542744154538594304
>>

>> Shams Charania  @ShamsCharania
>>
>> Free agent Gary Payton II is finalizing a three-year, $28 million deal
>> with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources tell @TheAthletic  @Stadium
>>

>> --Robin
>

> Good for GPII. He's worked hard and now has his big payday at last. I
> think he got too much for the Warriors to match. With DiVincenzo instead
> of GPII I think the Warriors will be not quite as good defensively (but
> DiVincenzo is supposed to be a good defender) but better offensively on
> the 2nd team.
>
> I think with Porter and Bjelica's loss the Warriors now need to sign
> another big. Porter was pretty good at just about everything. Kuminga
> will probably get most of his minutes, and if Baldwin comes through
> Porter's loss won't hurt so much. But I still think the Warriors need
> another veteran big.

Definitely agree, and also another wing. They have 12 players under
contract so they can sign two or three more, depending in part on
whether Iguodala comes back. Right now Wiggins is the only true small
forward on the team, although of course some of the SGs could move up to SF.

--Robin