From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: 2022 NBA free agency tracker: Ex-Warriors guard Damion Lee
reportedly heading to Phoenix
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 14:22:28 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 21:22 UTC

2022 NBA free agency tracker: Ex-Warriors guard Damion Lee reportedly
heading to Phoenix
Here's the latest on what you need to know about the Warriors' free
agency moves.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – July 1: Golden State Warriors Damion Lee
gestures to the crowd after throwing out the ceremonial first pitch
before the start of their MLB game at Oracle Park in San Francisco,
Calif., on Friday, July 1, 2022. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – July 1: Golden State Warriors Damion Lee
gestures to the crowd after throwing out the ceremonial first pitch
before the start of their MLB game at Oracle Park in San Francisco,
Calif., on Friday, July 1, 2022. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 30, 2022 at 9:13 p.m. | UPDATED: July 1, 2022 at 8:48 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/30/2022-nba-free-agency-tracker-latest-warriors-news-updates/

The NBA’s free agent frenzy is only just beginning, but during an
action-packed 24 hours, the Warriors agreed to re-sign center Kevon
Looney to a three-year, $25.5 million deal but lost four other players
including two prominent playoff contributors to other teams.

Looney is back with the Warriors after playing every game for Golden
State and providing a vital presence during the team’s championship run,
but top defensive weapon Gary Payton II and Otto Porter Jr. are on their
way out, league sources confirmed Friday.

Payton agreed to a three-year deal with the Portland Trailblazers, while
Otto Porter Jr. is expected to sign a two-year contract with the Toronto
Raptors.

Also gone are Oakland native and fan favorite Juan Toscano-Anderson, who
will sign a minimum deal with the Lakers Thursday, the LA Times
reported, and forward Nemanja Bjelica, who is heading to Europe to play
Fenerbahçe, of Turkey, which is consistently one of the top teams in
Europe, Sportando reported.

And much more has happened since.

Here’s the latest Warriors news in free agency:

- July 1, 8:25 p.m.: Damion Lee reportedly heading to Phoenix

About an hour after Damion Lee threw out the first pitch at the
Giants-White Sox game at Oracle Park, news broke that the Warriors
reserve would be heading to the Phoenix this fall.

Lee agreed to a one-year deal to join the Suns, according to ESPN’s
Adrian Wojnarowski.

This will be Lee’s third NBA team. He spent the last four seasons with
the Warriors, initially joining the team on a two-way contract before
earning a full-time deal to play alongside his brother-in-law Stephen Curry.

Lee averaged 7.4 points and 3.2 rebounds in 19.9 minutes in 63 games
(five starts) last season, though he had a tough showing in the
playoffs. He averaged two points while shooting 38.2% from the field and
25% from 3-point range in 16 postseason games.

--
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn · Follow

- July 1, 4:26 p.m.: Warriors replace Gary Payton II by agreeing to
terms with Donte DiVincenzo

It didn’t take the Warriors long to find a potential replacement for
Gary Payton II.

With the defensive ace out the door after reportedly agreeing to a
three-year, $28 million deal, Golden State found a less expensive
alternative in free agency, agreeing to terms with guard Donte DiVincenzo.

DiVincenzo is expected to ink a two-year, $9.3 million deal with the
Warriors once contracts can officially be signed Wednesday, sources
confirmed Friday afternoon. The second year of the deal is a player
option. The Athletic’s Shams Charania was first to report the agreement.

- July 1, 12:08 p.m.: Nemanja Bjelica returning to Europe, signs with
top Turkish team

While the Warriors were able to retain Kevon Looney, another free agent
is departing from their title team — and this time, he’s leaving the NBA
entirely.

Sportando reports that Nemanja Bjelica is signing a two-year deal with
Fenerbahçe of Turkey, consistently one of the top teams in Europe.
Fener’s women’s team also added one-time WNBA MVP and two-time WNBA
champion Breanna Stewart on Friday, completing a big day for the Turkish
club.

Bjelica played 71 regular season games and 17 playoff games for the
Warriors in 2021-22, providing some solid depth in the post and shooting
36.2% from 3-point range to help with Golden State’s spacing. The
Serbian didn’t come to the NBA until he was 27 and played seven years in
the league before returning back to Europe.

--
Sportando
@Sportando · Follow

- July 1, 11:59 a.m.: Kevon Looney staying with Warriors, signing
three-year, $25.5 million deal

Three-time NBA champion Kevon Looney is reportedly returning to the
Warriors for an eighth season and beyond.

Looney has agreed to a three-year, $25.5 million deal to return to the
Warriors, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Friday afternoon.

Hampered by injuries in past years, Looney played all 82 regular-season
games for the Warriors for the first time in his career, averaging six
points, 7.3 rebounds and two assists. He was essential in the Warriors
pursuit for their fourth title in eight years.

--
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn · Follow

- July 1, 8:25 a.m.: Otto Porter Jr. won’t return, signing two-year deal
with Raptors
The Warriors are letting another player walk from their championship team.

Otto Porter Jr., a reliable two-way wing who was essential on last
season’s title-winning squad, reached an agreement with the Toronto
Raptors on a two-year deal with a player option, Yahoo Sports reported
Friday morning.

Porter joined the Warriors on a veteran minimum last offseason, despite
a track record with injuries limiting him. The former max player turned
out to be a perfect fit for the Warriors, providing a boost off the
bench with his timely shooting, rebounding and ability to defend
multiple positions.

Porter, a career 39.8% 3-point shooter, helped space the floor. In the
playoffs, Porter hit 19 of his 38 made field goals from beyond the arc.
He also was a solid defender for the Warriors, who had the second-best
regular-season defensive rating in the NBA behind the Celtics.

While injuries hampered him both in the regular season and playoffs,
Porter played in his most games since the 2017-18 campaign.

--
Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes · Follow

- June 30, 10:35 p.m.: Gary Payton II heading to Portland, will join
Trail Blazers

The Warriors viewed Payton as a top target for free agency, but were
reportedly unwilling to match the lucrative three-year, $28 million
offer the Trail Blazers put together. And this payday for Payton is well
deserved.

After being cut during training camp, the Warriors decided to bring him
back in October to fill the 15th spot on their roster.

Since then, Payton blossomed into one of Golden State’s biggest
contributors off the bench and will be a key piece for the Trail Blazers
moving forward. He led the Warriors in deflections (180) and steals (96)
this season while playing an average of 17.6 minutes per game. In 71
games, he averaged 7.1 points on 61.6% shooting and 3.5 rebounds.

--
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania · Follow

- June 30, 8:45 p.m.: Warriors still in talks with top two free agent
targets but could be outbid for one

--
Jake Fischer
@JakeLFischer · Follow