From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Why_this_summer_is_critical_for_Warriors_wing_M
oses_Moody’s_development
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 20:00:14 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 03:00 UTC

Why this summer is critical for Warriors wing Moses Moody’s development
That's why this summer will be vital for the 20-year-old in terms of his
development.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 7: Golden State Warriors’ Moses Moody
(4) dunks the ball against the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 3 of a
second-round NBA basketball playoff series at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, May 7, 2022. The Golden State Warriors
defeated the Memphis Grizzlies 142-112. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area
News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 7: Golden State Warriors’ Moses Moody
(4) dunks the ball against the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 3 of a
second-round NBA basketball playoff series at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, May 7, 2022. The Golden State Warriors
defeated the Memphis Grizzlies 142-112. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area
News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: July 3, 2022 at 5:16 p.m. | UPDATED: July 5, 2022 at 4:34 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/07/03/why-this-summer-is-critical-for-warriors-wing-moses-moodys-development/

SAN FRANCISCO – Moses Moody couldn’t help but smile when asked about
some of his former teammates, like Gary Payton II and Otto Porter Jr.,
reportedly securing the bag elsewhere in free agency.

“When I see those guys getting paid, I’m happy to see it,” he said. “We
went through it together and to see those guys get paid and do good in
their careers is really inspirational.”

But the Little Rock, Arkansas, product also acknowledged how those free
agency moves will impact his role next season.

The imminent signing of Donte DiVincenzo takes some pressure off Moody
to bridge the gap left by Payton. Still, Moody, one of the Warriors’ two
2021 lottery picks, is among the pool of young, future foundational
pieces who’ll be pushing for more playing time next season. That’s why
this summer will be critical for the 20-year-old’s development.

Two weeks after being showered in love while parading down Market Street
with his teammates, Moody is already back at Chase Center, burnishing
his skills during the California Classic Sunday alongside a roster of
unproven talent eager to make a lasting impression on the Warriors’
front office and coaching staff.

With Jonathan Kuminga still back home in the Congo – he’s expected to
join the team later this month in Las Vegas – and James Wiseman working
his way back from a knee injury that caused him to miss all of last
season, Moody is by far the most experience player for the Warriors at
the California Classic this weekend. He’s ready for the added
responsibility of being a leader of the summer squad.

“When I’m on the floor, we’re trying to win,” Moody said. “So if I need
to tell somebody where they need to be, and that’s gonna be the best
chance of winning, I’m going to do that. I’m gonna try to help guys out,
I know the system, I know how we play and they might not. So I’m
obviously going to talk to them.”

Moody was praised by the coaching staff last season for his poise and
maturity, despite being the ripe age of 19 up until the NBA Finals.
While his playing time was spotty at times, Moody showed flashes of his
potential. A highlight of his rookie campaign was his 30-point
performance that included five 3-pointers in a loss to the Denver
Nuggets March 7.

Moody averaged 4.4 points on 43.7% shooting in 52 games heading into the
playoffs. His role lessened in the postseason as coach Steve Kerr shrank
his rotation and put more veterans on the floor. Still, Moody managed to
get some experience playing meaningful postseason minutes, which
included being a big part in the Warriors’ near 29-point comeback in
Game 4 of the Western Conference finals against the Dallas Mavericks.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Moody impresses in Warriors’ final California Classic game
The Warriors need to fill their roster. Here are the free agents they
should target
James Wiseman makes ‘good step’ in ramp up, Warriors still targeting
his return in Las Vegas
Watch: Steph Curry and son Canon ham it up at Warriors summer league game
Warriors free agency: Where Golden State sits after Payton, Porter
departures

Though he played only 10 minutes in the NBA Finals, the opportunity to
be part of a championship-winning team and learn from veterans like
Stephen Curry, Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala will pay dividends for
his future.

Moody, the No. 14 pick in last year’s draft, said he’s working on every
aspect of his game this summer. That includes his spot-up shooting,
scoring off the catch and dribble and his on-and-off the ball defense.
He also wants to push the ball in transition better and improve his
quick decision-making.

“I obviously want to put focus on getting better and getting prepared
for next year,” he said, “and what better way is there to get better
than to be in live games with real reps and real fans.

“Given the opportunity and all that, I’m gonna keep my head down and
work on my craft, do what I do. And the results and accolades and
accomplishments, all that will probably come along with as long as I got
my head down, doing what I need to do.”