From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Moody_impresses_in_Warriors’_final_Calif
ornia_Classic_game
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 20:14:40 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 03:14 UTC

Moody impresses in Warriors’ final California Classic game
Warriors guard Moses Moody shows off his strength, smarts in loss to
Miami Heat
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JULY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Moses
Moody (4) walks off the court after a California Classic summer league
basketball game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday,
July 3, 2022. The Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Golden State Warriors
100-77. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JULY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Moses Moody
(4) walks off the court after a California Classic summer league
basketball game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday,
July 3, 2022. The Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Golden State Warriors
100-77. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: July 5, 2022 at 1:48 p.m. | UPDATED: July 5, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/07/05/moses-moody-impresses-in-warriors-final-california-classic-game/

SAN FRANCISCO — Moses Moody has a championship ring at the ripe age of
20, but he has plenty of room to grow as his responsibilities may expand
next season.

He’s shown a knack for playmaking and ball handling in his first two
Summer League games of this offseason, including in a strong first half
of the Warriors’ 94-70 loss to the Miami Heat to close out the
California Classic on Tuesday afternoon in an empty Chase Center. The
Warriors lost all three of their California Classic games and will now
head to Las Vegas.

Moody rocked a Band-Aid over his left eye to protect the two stitches he
received during the Warriors’ prior game Sunday. Bruised up, Moody
scored 13 points on 5-of-15 shooting with a 3-pointer on seven attempts.
His three assists don’t do justice to his ability to make plays.

He shined most in the first quarter, gliding past Miami’s defenders to
the rim. He showed his strength and length in back-to-back possessions,
first fighting through foul contact for a bucket and, minutes later,
splitting two defenders for a breezy layup.

Don’t expect Moody to have primary ball-handing skills during the
regular season, but any aptitude he shows there should expand his role.
Getting the ball in Moody’s hands was a goal during his G League stint
last year, according to Seth Cooper, the Santa Cruz Warriors and
California Classic head coach.

“It’s something he’s going to keep getting better at,” Cooper said. “He
made a lot of really good plays.”

Moody’s ability to use his size and length to get to the rim, paired
with his 3-point shooting threat, creates angles that keep defenses
honest and “opens things up a little bit easier than some smaller guards
who can’t see over the top,” he said.

Moody was disruptive on defense, too. On one play, he got his hands on a
pass to a Heat backdoor cutter and found Gui Santos in transition, who
sought out a relocating Moody in the corner for a 3-pointer. That
defense-to-offense sequence was signature Warriors basketball.

Quinndary Weatherspoon had a sloppy game statistically with six personal
fouls and five turnovers. He missed the team’s first few practices at
Summer League to tend to a personal matter at home. That has showed in
his conditioning as he was slow to warm up on Tuesday.

Cooper took some of the blame off Weatherspoon for the turnovers.

“The biggest thing talking to him is making quick decisions,” Cooper
said. “That’s something I could have done a better job coaching him on.
Instead of coaching him to be a really, really good G League player and
dominate at that level, help him prepare for what’s going to translate
to play for the Warriors.”

But Weatherspoon caught a second wind and made some impressive plays,
including a steal and and-1 in transition in the third quarter. He also
showed some chemistry with Moody, finding him cutting for a flashy dunk.

>RELATED ARTICLES
The Warriors need to fill their roster. Here are the free agents they
should target
James Wiseman makes ‘good step’ in ramp up, Warriors still targeting
his return in Las Vegas
Why this summer is critical for Warriors wing Moses Moody’s development
Watch: Steph Curry and son Canon ham it up at Warriors summer league game
Warriors free agency: Where Golden State sits after Payton, Porter
departures

Weatherspoon finished with 14 points on 4-of-10 shooting and three rebounds.

Second-round pick Gui Santos continued his strong showing with an
efficient 12 points, including going 3-for-4 from 3, and four assists.
He nutmegged a Heat defender, passing between the legs of Miami’s
Haywood Highsmith, to Weatherspoon for his flashiest assist.

After Santos’ 23-point game against the Kings in his Summer League
debut, defenses started focusing more on him over the last two games.
Cooper said he advised Santos that he’ll grow his game by making
adjustments.

“Just taking what the game gives him, and I think he did a good job of
that today,” Cooper said. “I think he’s really willing to learn and
eager and wanting to get better. As he gets development, there’s a lot
of potential for him to grow as well.”

--
Golden State Warriors
@warriors

📺 NBA TV
[video]

12:44 PM · Jul 5, 2022
1.9K Reply Share

Shayna Rubin | General Assignment Sports Reporter
Shayna covers Bay Area sports for the Bay Area News Group. She covered
the Oakland A's from 2019 to 2021 and, most recently, the Golden State
Warriors' championship run in 2022. Shayna is a San Francisco native.