From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: ‘What’s best for Donte’: DiV
incenzo_details_why_he_signed_with_Warriors
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 20:46:36 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 03:46 UTC

‘What’s best for Donte’: DiVincenzo details why he signed with Warriors
Donte DiVincenzo detailed the struggle he endured as he entered a
chaotic free agency period while coming off one of his worst seasons
>Sacramento Kings guard Donte DiVincenzo (0) looks to pass the ball as
he gets caught between Magic center Mo Bamba (5) and forward Franz
Wagner (right) during the first half of Saturday night’s game at Amway
Center. For the result of the late game, please go to
OrlandoSentinel.com/sports. (John Raoux, AP)
>Sacramento Kings guard Donte DiVincenzo (0) looks to pass the ball as
he gets caught between Magic center Mo Bamba (5) and forward Franz
Wagner (right) during the first half of Saturday night’s game at Amway
Center. For the result of the late game, please go to
OrlandoSentinel.com/sports. (John Raoux, AP)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: July 9, 2022 at 3:44 p.m. | UPDATED: July 9, 2022 at 4:20 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/07/09/whats-best-for-donte-divincenzo-details-why-he-signed-with-warriors/

LAS VEGAS — Donte DiVincenzo knows there’s no sugarcoating his stats
from last season as he struggled to come back from an ankle injury.

But coming off one of his worst seasons in the NBA, DiVincenzo entered
the chaotic free agency period with one thing on his mind.

“What’s best for Donte,” he said Saturday.

The answer turned out to be just a short drive from where he ended last
season.

DiVincenzo officially signed a two-year, $9.3 million deal with the
Warriors, the team announced Friday.

The proven role player bolsters Golden State’s wing corps depth and his
addition fills a key void left by the departures of Gary Payton II and
Otto Porter Jr. who signed elsewhere this month.

Speaking to the media for the first time since his signing, DiVincenzo
detailed what it was like to be a free agent for the first time since he
was drafted No. 17 overall in 2018.

“It was stressful, I’m not going to lie,’ he said. “I’m calling my
agent, ‘What’s going on? What are we doing?’”

DiVincenzo said the process slowed down for him once he talked to
Stephen Curry and Draymond Green. He said they were “two different types
of conversations” — Green “shot it straight to me, and Steph is like the
nicest person in the world so everything was good.” They talked about
the Warriors’ highly team-first culture, which eased his mind.

“I got away from the numbers, the dollar signs and everything and I was
more so kind of focused on what is best for Donte and what is best for
me going forward,” DiVincenzo said. “I go back to the culture and the
environment, and I think it’s something I want to be a part of and it’s
who I am. I don’t have to change to fit in.”

DiVincenzo, 25, had a breakout third season with the Bucks, posting 10.4
points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.1 steals per game as a starter
before he tore a ligament in his left ankle in the first-round of the
2021 playoffs.

After an agonizing seven months, DiVincenzo made his season debut on
Christmas Day but was slow to getting back to his previous form. He
averaged 7.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 17 games while
shooting 33.1% from the field and 28.4% from 3-point range. The Bucks
ultimately traded him to the Kings as part of a four-team deal that
moved Marvin Bagley III out of Sacramento.

DiVincenzo turned his season around with the Kings, putting up numbers
that more aligned with his 2020-21 campaign.

“In a weird way, I just feel like I ran out of time,” he said. “We
weren’t making the playoffs in Sacramento and when the season ended it
was just kind of like ‘Alright, you only played two months and you’re
done.’”

DiVincenzo said he feels great now, adding that, “It doesn’t even feel
like I had surgery on my ankle.” That said, the Warriors’ proven history
of helping players work their way back from injuries, with Curry and
Klay Thompson being prime examples, with another selling point for
DiVincenzo, who’s looking forward to having a full offseason to recuperate.

“I go back to what’s best for Donte,” he said. “Being in an organization
that takes care of my body first and you can’t do anything on the court
unless you’re healthy and so that’s a huge focus for me. I’ve already
been out there with the staff and trying to get acclimated with them and
just take my body, take everything to the next level.”

DiVincenzo said the Warriors were a “perfect fit” for him, and the
saying goes both ways. Though his defense wasn’t nearly as good as it
was pre-injury, Golden State is anticipating he’ll be healthy and be a
key contributor mostly off the bench. DiVincenzo believes his proven
ability to play alongside stars like Giannis Antetokounmpo will help him
with the Warriors’ read-and-react offense.

Coach Steve Kerr called DiVincenzo after he inked the deal and told him
he only wants the best for the former Villanova star.

“Everything that he asked me I’m willing to do,” DiVincenzo said, “and I
just want to win games.”