From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Faraudo: Bill Russell and Oakland: The importance of roots
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 20:18:07 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 03:18 UTC

Bill Russell and Oakland: The importance of roots
The Boston Celtics icon who died Sunday moved to Oakland at age 8 and
attended McClymonds High School
>Hall of Fame basketball player Bill Russell, right, speaks to
McClymonds High School freshman Fanae Clark while visiting his alma
mater, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, in Oakland, Calif. Russell, who won 11
NBA championships with the Boston Celtics, said he rode the bench while
playing for Mack.
>Hall of Fame basketball player Bill Russell, right, speaks to
McClymonds High School freshman Fanae Clark while visiting his alma
mater, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, in Oakland, Calif. Russell, who won 11
NBA championships with the Boston Celtics, said he rode the bench while
playing for Mack.
By JEFF FARAUDO | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: July 31, 2022 at 4:59 p.m. | UPDATED: July 31, 2022 at 5:37 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/07/31/bill-russell-and-oakland-the-importance-of-roots/

Bill Russell, who died Sunday at 88, said it was his days in Oakland
that prepared him for all that came his way en route to becoming the
greatest winner in American sports.

The people he encountered while a student at McClymonds High School in
West Oakland in the early 1950s put him on a path to success.

“We inspired each other,” he said in a 2007 interview with this news
organization. “Truthfully, I feel like if I didn’t go to McClymonds, I
wouldn’t be (who I am) today.”

Starting with his career at the University of San Francisco, Russell
changed basketball with his ferocious defensive play. Quick and smart at
6-foot-9, he elevated shot blocking to an art, prompting college
officials to institute goal-tending rules after his junior season

John Wooden, the late UCLA coaching legend, called Russell “the greatest
defensive man I’ve ever seen.”

Said Red Auerbach, his coach with the Celtics, “Russell single-handedly
revolutionized this game simply because he made defense so important.”

Even Wilt Chamberlain, who died at the age of 63 in 1999, credited
Russell for improving his game, although he rarely came out on top when
their teams met in the NBA playoffs.

“Bill Russell helped make my dream a better dream because when you play
with the best, you know you have to play your best,” Chamberlain said.

For nearly two decades, almost no one got the better of Russell on the
court.

>BILL RUSSELL’S BAY AREA TIES
Commentary: The greatest college basketball team ever in the Bay
Area, or anywhere
Commentary: Bill Russell, part of McClymond’s legacy, awarded
Presidential Medal of Freedom
Commentary: The all-time Bay Area college basketball team

He captured two NCAA championships and won 60 consecutive games at the
USF. He was the leading scorer on the 1956 Olympic team that took home a
gold medal from Melbourne after winning every game by at least 30 points.

And he powered the Celtics to 11 championships in a span of 13 seasons,
the final two as player-coach, when in 1966 he became the first Black
coach in American professional sports.

Former Cal coach Pete Newell, who led the 1960 Olympic team and later
served as general manager for the Los Angeles Lakers, said Russell
stands alone at the top of the NBA pyramid.

“Bill Russell probably had the greatest impact on the game of anyone
that ever played, and I include Michael (Jordan) in that,” Newell said
in a 1999 interview. “The impact he had on winning and losing was
greater than anyone in the game.”

Russell was a 12-time All-Star and won five MVP awards in the NBA,
including in 1962 when Chamberlain averaged 50.4 points and scored 100
in a single game.

“Wilt and I were not rivals. We were competitors,” Russell once said.
“In a rivalry, there’s a victor and a vanquished. He was never vanquished.”

A proud and complicated man, Russell saw social injustice as a young
child in his hometown of Monroe, Louisiana. And he experienced it in
Boston, where he was the city’s first black sports star.

His home in the Boston suburbs was vandalized, with a racial epithet
spray-painted on the walls. Recalling verbal abuse and threatening
letters, Russell in his 1979 book, “Second Wind: The Memoirs of an
Opinionated Man,” called Boston “a flea market of racism.”

His former teammate Tom Heinsohn, who is white, acknowledged the
animosity Russell felt toward Boston. “And they were well-founded
animosities,” he said.

Russell was more than a spectator in the civil rights movement,
participating in the March on Washington in 1963, attending King’s “I
Have a Dream” speech at the National Mall, and defending Muhammad Ali’s
stand against the Vietnam War.

“To be a true influence of positive change in the world often means that
you have to stand up against injustice and fight through adversity,” he
said after sharing Sports Illustrated’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award with
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Jim Brown.

Russell remained a voice fighting social injustice to the end.

In August 2020, after NBA players sat out playoff games in response to a
Kenosha, Wisconsin, policeman shooting Jacob Blake, a Black man, seven
times in the back, Russell spoke out on Twitter.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The Bay’s greatest champion, Bill Russell leaves an
indelible legacy
Photos: NBA legend Bill Russell through the years
Bill Russell: What you need to know about the NBA, Celtics and USF
Dons legend
NBA great Bill Russell, Celtics legend, University of San Francisco
star and Oakland’s own, dies at 88
Boston Celtics legend Bill Russell dies: Celtics fans, players and
others react to his death

“In ’61 I walked out (of) an exhibition game much like the @nba players
did yesterday,” he wrote. “I am one of the few people that knows what it
felt like to make such an important decision. I am so proud of these
young guys.”

Years earlier, after his family moved to Oakland when Russell was 8
years old, there was little indication he would blossom into an American
icon. He wasn’t even a full-time starter at McClymonds, but Hal DeJulio,
an unpaid assistant coach at Oakland High, saw something promising.

“I saw Russell’s head rise above the multitudes … I couldn’t believe
it,” DeJulio recalled during a 2006 interview about the first day he saw
Russell play.

DeJulio convinced USF coach Phil Woolpert to take a chance on Russell.

“I knew once he got him in there and saw him run and jump, he’d see he
had a man from Mars — something he’d never seen,” DeJulio said of his
selling job to Woolpert.

In his first USF varsity game as a sophomore on December 3, 1953 in
front of a capacity crowd at San Francisco’s Kezar Pavilion, Russell
faced 10th-ranked Cal and its All-Coast center Bob McKeen.

When it was over, Russell had 23 points and 13 blocked shots — many of
them against McKeen — and USF had a 51-33 victory.

K.C. Jones, Russell’s teammate at USF and with the Celtics, suggested
McKeen was “shellshocked” by the performance. He wasn’t the only one.

“People had never seen anything like his shot-blocking before.”