From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Warriors thrilled to welcome back invaluable Andre Iguodala
for final season
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 20:11:08 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 03:11 UTC

Warriors thrilled to welcome back invaluable Andre Iguodala for final season
Andre Iguodala announced Friday that he'll return to the Warriors for
one last season.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 2: Golden State Warriors’ Andre
Iguodala (9) reacts after a referee’s call against the Golden State
Warriors in the third quarter of Game 1 of their NBA Finals against the
Boston Celtics at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Thursday, June 2, 2022.(Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 2: Golden State Warriors’ Andre
Iguodala (9) reacts after a referee’s call against the Golden State
Warriors in the third quarter of Game 1 of their NBA Finals against the
Boston Celtics at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Thursday, June 2, 2022.(Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: September 26, 2022 at 8:21 a.m. | UPDATED: September 26, 2022
at 8:55 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/09/26/warriors-thrilled-to-welcome-back-invaluable-andre-iguodala-for-final-season/

SAN FRANCISCO — When Andre Iguodala returned to the Warriors on a
one-year deal ahead of the 2021-22 campaign, there was a belief that
season would be his last.

Still, the Warriors held out hope throughout the summer that Iguodala,
38, would return for one last run, especially after getting the sweet
taste of another NBA Finals victory. No one knew for certain what he was
going to do until Friday when Golden State’s elder statesman announced
on his Point Forward podcast that he would be coming back.

The news brought a sense of ease and excitement to the team.

“Really good to have him,” Jordan Poole said Sunday at Warriors’ media
day. He’s “extremely knowledgeable. He’s willing to help us and teach us
and give us all the information and knowledge that he’s gained over the
years. Been extremely beneficial to our team, and being able to have him
back is really special.”

Iguodala, who missed the first two days of camp because of a prior
scheduled engagement, is one of the most trusted voices within the
organization. He has the ear of not only the front office and coaching
staff but he’s also a confidant to players such as Stephen Curry,
Draymond Green and Klay Thompson. And he’s not afraid to hold players
accountable regardless of status on the team.

Curry and Green played a key part in convincing Iguodala to come back.
But Jonathan Kuminga said he also was begging his locker-room neighbor
to return.

“I was trying to like call him, text him,” said Kuminga, who said
Iguodala wouldn’t tip his hand this summer on what he might do. “I was
trying to make him go, ‘We need you back, come back.’”

Iguodala’s response to Kuminga’s pleas?

“He was like, ‘I got things I got to do,’” Kuminga recalled.

Kuminga is one of the young players who could benefit most from
Iguodala’s return. Iguodala has 18 NBA seasons worth of wisdom to impart
on the youngsters and can help them navigate their lives on and off the
basketball court.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Andre Iguodala explains why he chose to come back to Warriors for one
more year
Kurtenbach: The Warriors silenced their critics by winning another
title. But there’s ‘no shortage of chips’ on their shoulders for 2022-23
Klay Thompson says Warriors will ‘seize’ opportunity at fifth title
Draymond Green doubts he’ll sign extension before Warriors’ season
Jordan Poole speaks about potential extension with Warriors

While Iguodala’s value to Golden State extends beyond the basketball
court, Curry was quick to point out that Iguodala wouldn’t have come
back for one last hurrah if he didn’t think he’d be able to play.

“He’s not coming back if he doesn’t think he can play and contribute,
whether it’s 10 minutes, 20 minutes… big game creeping up, maybe even
more. Playing consistently maybe in the second half of the season,”
Curry said. “He’s not here to be a coach first, player second. So
excited about what he can prove on that front, but obviously the
mentorship is a big part of the presence that he brings in the locker
room, on the court, front office, management. He’s a sound box for
everybody and a voice of reason for everybody.

“It’s built on 19 years of him being who he is.”

Iguodala missed most of the second half of the season as he dealt with
various injuries. He had been at Chase Center in recent weeks working
out and discussing his future with the training staff to determine
whether his body could handle the wear of another 82-game slate.

Iguodala received the green light and felt confident in proceeding. But
after this season, he’s calling it quits.

“I’m letting you know now, Steph, this is the last one,” Iguodala said
on his podcast.

“He’s planting his flag now, which I think, for him, is a healthy way
for him to approach this year, knowing he’s giving everything he’s got,”
Curry said.