From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_What_stood_out_about_Jonathan_Kuminga’s_
preseason_performance
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 18:54:27 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 01:54 UTC

What stood out about Jonathan Kuminga’s preseason performance
Golden State Warriors' Jonathan Kuminga scored 17 points in loss to
Denver Nuggets
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 14: Golden State Warriors’
Jonathan Kuminga (00) dunks the ball against the Denver Nuggets during
the second quarter of their preseason NBA game at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Friday, Oct. 14, 2022. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 14: Golden State Warriors’
Jonathan Kuminga (00) dunks the ball against the Denver Nuggets during
the second quarter of their preseason NBA game at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Friday, Oct. 14, 2022. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 14, 2022 at 11:33 p.m. | UPDATED: October 14, 2022 at
11:33 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/10/14/what-stood-out-about-jonathan-kumingas-preseason-performance/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors have too many players and not enough
minutes to go around. But opportunities arise when guys come down with
injuries.

With Moses Moody and JaMychal Green out of Friday’s 119-112 preseason
loss to the Denver Nuggets with minor injuries, Jonathan Kuminga got
plenty of run with the starters and second unit. Kuminga’s chemistry
with the starters could be worth more run in the regular season.

Kuminga finished with a team-high 17 points, tied with Klay Thompson,
and played most of the second quarter in two different lineups featuring
variations of the Warriors “Core 6.” He showed off his abilities as a
slasher, dunker and strong one-on-one defender with Draymond Green back
in action and facilitating at center along with, Thompson, Steph Curry
and Jordan Poole — and then in a lineup with Andrew Wiggins swapped in
for Poole and Kevon Looney for Green.

“That was really fun watching him,” coach Steve Kerr said. “He ran the
floor hard. He got a couple of offensive rebounds. Just played with
energy. When you’re with guys that skilled, that’s really all you have
to do and you’re going to fall into some points and rebounds if you are
that big and athletic. I think he’s starting to see where he can make an
impact and how he can sort of form his role and his game as well.”

Kuminga can play a role similar to Gary Payton II’s last season. He can
benefit from the spacing Curry, Poole and Thompson create while using
his athleticism to put away some dunks or pick up a few offensive rebounds.

--
Warriors on NBCS
@NBCSWarriors ·Follow

8:10 PM · Oct 14, 2022
440 Reply Share
--

The 20-year-old has improved as a slasher, too. He moved well off ball
to create more scoring opportunities in open space.

--
Warriors on NBCS
@NBCSWarriors ·Follow

8:16 PM · Oct 14, 2022
711 Reply Share
--

“The game has really slowed down for him a lot,” Wiggins said. “And he’s
making all the right decisions. He’s making a lot of great passes,

Kuminga’s playmaking came to light a couple times with the starting
unit. He found Kevon Looney under the basket for a quick assist and bucket.

--
Warriors on NBCS
@NBCSWarriors ·Follow

8:02 PM · Oct 14, 2022
818 Reply Share
--

He and James Wiseman made some flashy plays in their minutes together.
He had a drive-and-pass to Wiseman, who went up for a dunk.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: Andrew Wiggins’ eight-figure sacrifice speaks volumes
about him, the Warriors’ culture
Andrew Wiggins, Jordan Poole agree to contract extensions with Warriors
Kurtenbach: Jordan Poole has a new Warriors contract. That means
someone else has to go
Warriors, Jordan Poole agree to 4-year contract extension: sources
Warriors roster moves: Golden State give two-way deals to Ty Jerome,
Anthony Lamb

“I just think the growth for both of them is apparent in a lot of
different ways,” Kerr said. “They both had excellent camps. I was happy
for JK tonight to have that stretch because he hadn’t been great in the
exhibition games, but he’d been really good in practices, so it’s good
for him to show it, under the lights.”

--
Warriors on NBCS
@NBCSWarriors ·Follow

7:32 PM · Oct 14, 2022
1.2K Reply Share

--
Shayna Rubin | General Assignment Sports Reporter
Shayna covers Bay Area sports for the Bay Area News Group. She covered