From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin: Why Andrew Wiggins took a pay cut to stay with Golden State
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:33:21 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 03:33 UTC

Why Andrew Wiggins took a pay cut to stay with Golden State
Golden State Warriors sign Andrew Wiggins to team-friendly contract
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 20: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew
Wiggins (22) holds up a Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy a he greets
fans during the Championship Parade on Market Street in San Francisco,
Calif., on Monday, June 20, 2022. The Warriors won their fourth NBA
Championship in eight seasons after defeating the Boston Celtics in the
Game 6. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 20: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew
Wiggins (22) holds up a Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy a he greets
fans during the Championship Parade on Market Street in San Francisco,
Calif., on Monday, June 20, 2022. The Warriors won their fourth NBA
Championship in eight seasons after defeating the Boston Celtics in the
Game 6. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 16, 2022 at 5:16 p.m. | UPDATED: October 16, 2022 at
6:50 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/10/16/why-andrew-wiggins-took-a-pay-cut-to-stay-with-golden-state/

SAN FRANCISCO — Andrew Wiggins came to Golden State labeled a bust. A
first overall pick once dubbed the Canadian Michael Jordan as a teen
couldn’t live up to his lucrative contract as a lead playmaker in Minnesota.

A refined role in a new home with the Warriors landed the 27-year-old a
four-year, $109 million contract extension officially signed hours after
Jordan Poole inked his rookie contract extension on Saturday.

“Love the city, love the fans. I’m excited,” Wiggins said.

Despite his pending free agency, this extension for Wiggins came as
somewhat of a surprise. Unlike Poole, who had an Oct. 17 deadline to
sign, the Warriors and Wiggins could have let this season play out and
decide on terms this summer.

Not only did Wiggins sign the extension earlier than expected, but he
took a pay cut to stay. He will make $33 million this year, but will
earn an estimated $24 million in 2023. That’s nearly $15 million less
than a max offer he might field in free agency.

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 14: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew
Wiggins (22) goes up for a basket against the Denver Nuggets during the
first quarter of their preseason NBA game at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Friday, Oct. 14, 2022. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay
Area News Group)

But it’s not clear what team would offer top dollar for Wiggins, who
showed to be most valuable in Golden State’s unique playing style. He’ll
take that pay cut for the job stability he may not find on any other
team in the NBA.

“You never know what the future holds. I’m happy here,” Wiggins said.
“We have a chance to do something special. I believe in the guys, the
organization. So we have a deal done and I’m happy about it.”

For the Warriors, Wiggins accepting a pay cut could pay dividends down
the line when piecing together next year’s roster. The team is on the
hook for a payroll that, with taxes, could ring up to more than $480
million in 2023 with Draymond Green and Klay Thompson in line for
extensions.

Another strong Finals run might determine Green and Thompson’s future
with the team; will the Warriors continue to commit to record-breaking
payrolls to keep this contention window open? Or will the team slip up
and challenge owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber to pull the plug? The
long term commitments will be determined on a game-by-game basis, Myers
said.

“I’m well aware of what the numbers are, but what I would say to
everyone is that’s next season and this is this season,” Myers said. “If
you told me a year ago we’d be paying Poole and Wiggins this I probably
wouldn’t have believed you.”

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 11: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole, left, Golden State Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins talk each other on
the bench in the second quarter of their NBA preseason game against the
Portland Trailblazers at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

But Wiggins’ growth last year changed his value. That Wiggins shares
agent Drew Morrison out of CAA with Poole expedited the process this
month, Myers said. Both wanted to stay in the Bay Area, and their agents
were already at the table.

It took Wiggins a year-plus to adjust to Golden State’s style around
Steph Curry, but last season he mastered a role that took the ball out
of his hands.

“What I see with Wiggs is just a comfort level with his daily routine
and our style,” coach Steve Kerr said. “The way we play is very
different from the way he played his first years. So he looks relaxed
and ahead of the game compared to the first years where ehe had to
figure out how we played, he’s comfortable in it because he’s got a
couple of years of work within the style.”

He transformed into an ideal wing next to Curry, a primary defender
against opposing teams’ best offensive player able to hit 3-pointers at
a clip that earned him his first All-Star nod in 2021. In the playoffs,
Wiggins ramped up his aggression on the boards and flashed scoring chops
that earned him those Jordan comparisons as a teenager.

“There are a handful of guys like Steph or LeBron (James), Giannis
(Antetokounmpo) who are going to be great no matter where they are,”
Kerr said. “But most of the league, you have to find a good spot. And
Wiggs found a good spot.”

Concerns around Wiggins before the extension revolved around his
intensity — at various points, Wiggins would space out defensively and
on the boards. Not until the playoffs did Wiggins turn up his energy to
turbo mode and keep the pedal to the metal for their entire title run.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Jordan Poole talks punch and contract extension from Warriors
Kurtenbach: The Warriors have taken ‘Strength in Numbers’ to a new
level. It should bring back-to-back championships
Kurtenbach: Andrew Wiggins’ eight-figure sacrifice speaks volumes
about him, the Warriors’ culture
Andrew Wiggins, Jordan Poole agree to contract extensions with Warriors
Kurtenbach: Jordan Poole has a new Warriors contract. That means
someone else has to go

The 6-foot-7 forward is often the most athletic player on the court;
he’ll succeed when he uses it.

“I just want to keep up with the rebounding,” Wiggins said. “I feel like
I took a step with the playoffs and I can keep doing it. That’s the most
important thing. And defense, keep at it.”

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 9: Los Angeles Lakers’ Anthony
Davis (3) blocks a shot by Golden State Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22)
during the first quarter of their preseason NBA game at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2022. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

--
Shayna Rubin | General Assignment Sports Reporter
Shayna covers Bay Area sports for the Bay Area News Group. She covered