Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 23:22:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SFC:_Draymond_Green’s_focus_is_on_improving_Warrio
rs,_not_on_what_the_haters_say
From: coac...@gmail.com (Donald Lee)
 by: Donald Lee - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 06:22 UTC

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/article/Draymond-Green-s-focus-is-on-improving-17529470.php

Sorry, you members of the Draymond Green Haters Club.

You might have hoped The Punch was the beginning of the end for the Golden State Warriors’ heartbeat. Surely in the wake of what Steve Kerr called the greatest crisis in his eight years as head coach, the Warriors either would dump Green to another team or minimize his role.

Or maybe he would minimize himself, by pulling away from the team, feeling alienated. Go sulk in his corner while the rest of the team ran toward another championship.

Sorry, club members. There are early signs that your hopes will not be realized. It appears that Green intends to be a fully engaged leader of this team, an integral part of its identity, at both ends of the court and in-between, and off the court.

During a stoppage in the third quarter of Sunday evening’s surprisingly hard-fought 130-125 win over the visiting Sacramento Kings, Green pulled young center James Wiseman aside and gave him a few seconds of advice or encouragement, apparently on some technical mistake Wiseman had made.

A minute later, Green engaged Kerr at the bench for several seconds, both of them animated and enthusiastic. And together.

So, reports — hopes? — of Green’s alienation from his team, or a diminished role, have been greatly exaggerated.

Green is still playing himself back into game shape after missing that week, post-punch, but he was effective and engaged Sunday: 28 minutes, seven points, four rebounds, four assists, and plus-17.

And right back in that leadership role.

“I think I’ve been that my whole career, brother,” Green said after the game. “I think I’m going to continue to be who I’ve been for this team and this organization, and for myself, continue to be that.”

As for the haters and doubters, whose legions swelled recently?

“We can’t really respond to everything people say or think,” Green said. “My job here is to come in this locker room and do what I’ve always done, that doesn’t change with anything. As long as I’m here, as long as I’m playing basketball, that’s kind of been a role of mine.”

Green has been champing at the bit to play more minutes, get back to his normal mid-30s, but the Warriors are very analytics-driven when it comes to playing time. Before the game, Kerr was asked how he balances Green’s desire to play more with team performance guru Rick Celebrini’s more cautious approach.

“I don’t balance, I listen to Rick,” Kerr said.

“As guys get a little bit older, they still believe that they can play every night. But let’s not forget, Draymond missed half the year with a back injury last year.”

Green didn’t hear Kerr’s comments, but he is sensitive to any perception that he is old. That he is beaten down by a decade of really hard NBA ball.

“I’m 32, I’m not 39,” Green said, a bit defiantly, as he sliced off his ankle tape. “Still fairly young guy.”

Still fairly important guy. This team has a lot to learn. It is not the instant-oatmeal team of 2014-15, Kerr’s first season, nor of last season.

In 2014-15, the Warriors won their first five, lost two and won the next 16.. Last season, the Warriors won their first four, lost one, won the next seven, lost one, and won the next seven.

This season, they’ve started W-L-W, and clearly have a lot of building to do, in terms of unity and cohesion. Or, as Green called it, forming an identity.

Instead of instant oatmeal, this team will be a lavish breakfast, with French sauces and Mexican spices, a tricky blend that will take time to bring to perfection, with plenty of opportunity for failure.

“There’s a lot of stuff to learn,” Green said. “Not only for our young guys, but for everyone.”

Green has no plans to dial back on his leading and mentoring.

“It’s more important, because I’m one of the elder statesmen,” he said. “There was once a time we were winning and we were the young guys. Our first championship was in my third year in the NBA. You’ve kind of seen what you normally don’t see: guys won at a young age, and are still winning eight years later.”

See? Green is providing leadership even for the fans. It’s important for them to remember how rare and special it is for the same core players to still be cranking at a high level, together, for the same team, a decade after they got together.

That might be what’s driving Green to move past The Punch and plunge full tilt into The Challenge, of helping this team form its identity. That won’t happen automatically.

The Warriors have a better chance to be that fancy breakfast with a healthy and fully engaged Chef Green. The team runs better when he’s in, it moves the ball better. It plays defense better.

His leadership is important, and it’s still there.