From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: ‘Words matter,’ Warriors coach
_Steve_Kerr_says_in_the_wake_of_Kyrie_Irving_tweet
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 20:15:08 -0700
 by: Allen - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:15 UTC

‘Words matter,’ Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr says in the wake
of Kyrie Irving tweet
Commissioner Adam Silver blasted Irving for his "reckless decision" to
share a movie containing "deeply offensive antisemitic material."
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 8: Golden State Warriors head
coach Steve Kerr pauses as he answers questions to reporters during a
press conference after practice at Chase Center in San Francisco,
Calif., on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 3, 2022 at 1:45 p.m. | UPDATED: November 3, 2022 at
4:46 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/11/03/words-matter-steve-kerr-says-in-the-wake-of-kyrie-irving-tweet/

ORLANDO, Florida — Steve Kerr on Thursday declined to discuss Kyrie
Irving, who promoted a controversial book and movie featuring
antisemitic tropes via Twitter last week. But the Warriors coach did
have a message about the importance of being cautious and informed about
what you share on social media.

“Word matter,” Kerr said ahead of the Warriors’ game against the Orlando
Magic.

Kerr wasn’t speaking directly about the embattled Brooklyn Nets guard.
In fact, asked about Irving, Kerr said, “I’m going to sit that one out.”
But pressed further on the need for the NBA taking a stand against
antisemitism, racism and other discriminatory language, Kerr stressed
that it’s crucial to be aware of what you’re posting.

“Words really, really matter, and in modern society, with social media,
the way things can sort of just pan across the globe exponentially and
get five million hits immediately, every comment matters, everything you
say matters,” Kerr said. “We have to be more vigilant as a society, we
can’t be just accepting comments that are so destructive and insulting
to people. And it’s crucial that everybody whether you’re a professional
athlete or not, it’s crucial that everybody think before they just throw
stuff out there that can be so damaging.”

Irving came under fire last week when he posted a tweet last week
promoting the 2018 movie “Hebrews to Negroes: Wake Up Black America.”
Rolling Stone reported that the movie is “stuffed with antisemitic tropes.”

Irving received swift backlash for the post, though he told reporters he
didn’t believe he did anything wrong. He has since deleted the tweet.

Kerr’s comments come just hours after Irving said he took responsibility
for his social media posts, but he didn’t apologize for it. Asked
specifically if he had any antisemitic beliefs, Irving told reporters,
in part, “I cannot be antisemitic if I know where I come from.”

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, in a statement Thursday, blasted Irving
for his “reckless decision” to share a movie containing “deeply
offensive antisemitic material.” Silver plans to meet with Irving in
person in the next week regarding the posts.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors lose fourth-straight game after second-half collapse to Magic
Kurtenbach: Klay Thompson’s early-season struggles highlight the
Warriors’ two-timeline problem
Frustration building for 3-5 Warriors, but no panic yet
Warriors react to Jordan Poole carry violations, league crackdown
Steph Curry notches triple-double in Warriors’ third straight loss

Irving and the Nets on Wednesday pledged a combined $1 million to causes
and organizations working to eradicate hate and intolerance to Jewish
communities. They also plan to work with the Anti-Defamation League. But
Silver doesn’t believe that’s enough.

“While we appreciate the fact that he agreed to work with the Brooklyn
Nets and the Anti-Defamation League to combat antisemitism and other
forms of discrimination, I am disappointed that he has not offered an
unqualified apology and more specifically denounced the vile and harmful
content contained in the film he chose to publicize,” Silver said in a
written statement Thursday morning.

The Nets have suspended Irving for at least five games, The Athletic
reported Thursday night.