Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 10:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SFC:__Warriors’_road_skid_reaches_4_as_Orlando_get
s_2nd_win_of_the_season
From: coac...@gmail.com (Donald Lee)
 by: Donald Lee - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:40 UTC

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Warriors-road-skid-reaches-4-as-Orlando-wins-17557428.php

ORLANDO — The Golden State Warriors remained winless on the road Thursday, falling 130-129 to the struggling Orlando Magic and dropping to 0-4 on their East Coast trip.

The Warriors, who haven’t won in Orlando since Dec. 1, 2017, fell to 3-6 overall and 0-5 on the road.

“We have to save us, because nobody else is coming,” head coach Steve Kerr said.

Stephen Curry followed up his 10th career triple double against the Heat on Tuesday with a game-high 39 points, three rebounds and nine assists, but two late turnovers proved costly.

Klay Thompson added 27 points on 10-for-24 shooting and knocked down a season-high seven 3-pointers, but missed a potential game-winning jumper at the buzzer.

Thompson had been struggling in the first quarters this season, going 2-of-13 from distance in his first seven games. He made all three of his first-quarter 3-point tri es against the Magic, helping to spark a 65-point first half. The Warriors shot 50% from the field and 40% from deep — and had only six turnovers — in the first two quarters.

More on the Warriors
Warriors’ Steve Kerr on Kyrie Irving flap: ‘Words really, really matter’

Warriors’ Jordan Poole singled out in NBA’s new enforcement of carrying violations

“He knocked down shots early, you can see he’s starting to feel more comfortable,” Kerr said of Thompson.

After leading by as many as 16 early in the third quarter, the Warriors’ defense buckled and Orlando scored 43 points to make it a 98-96 game entering the fourth.

“We have to correct our defense,” Draymond Green said. “Klay Thompson and Steph Curry shot 15-for-30 from 3. That right there alone is good enough for us to win a game. Once a team gets comfortable, you have to deal with that problem.”

After failing to close out the Heat on Tuesday, Golden State couldn’t get it done at Amway Center, either. A dunk by No. 1 overall pick Paolo Banchero gave the Magic a 115-108 lead with 5:35 left.

Curry, who scored 11 points in the fourth quarter, and second-year Orlando guard Jalen Suggs traded 3-pointers with under two minutes to play to put the Magic up 122-120.

Curry was then fouled on a 3-point attempt with 1:35 left and knocked down all three free-throw tries, but Orlando’s Franz Wagner responded with an easy layup at the other end to put the Magic back up by one. Curry committed a turnover on the Warriors’ ensuing possession, which resulted in Green fouling out and Suggs marching back to the free-throw line.

A wild Thompson 3-pointer out of the timeout cut the Warriors’ deficit to one with 29 seconds left. Orlando has a turnover on its next possession and Golden State had a chance at the game-winning bucket.

The Warriors wanted to get the ball to Curry on the last possession, but Orlando swarmed him and he was forced to find Thompson.

Thompson’s shot at the buzzer fell short.

“The play was designed to try and create a simple look, not try to have too much traffic,” Curry said. “I think I caught it and turned, made a jab-step and then I saw two Magic jerseys. Then you make a decision whether you want to force something up, which I didn’t think I could.

“I made a weak pass to Klay, put him in a tough position and he tried to make the best of it. They made the right read to trap at the right time when we didn’t have good enough spacing, so another learning lesson.”

Hands off: Just like in Tuesday’s loss to Miami, the Warriors and Magic played each other pretty evenly in every statistical category that mattered. But on Thursday, Golden State’s foul trouble continued, as it allowed Orlando to attempt 46 free throws.

The Magic went 33-of-46 from the line — the Warriors attempted just 15 and made 10.

“I think I’m pretty good defensively off the ball. I think Kevon Looney is pretty good defensively off the ball. And I think (Andrew) Wiggins is very good on the ball,” Green said. “So we have to be better at the point of attack, that falls on Wiggins, and we have to be better with our rotations, that falls on me and Looney.”

Golden State is averaging 24 fouls per game, which ranks last in the league.. Curry isn’t sure about what’s causing the foul issues, but knows part of it likely stems from a lack of communication on defense, moreso from the team’s younger players.

“We have two guys that talk a lot, Draymond and Loon,” he said. “They’ve been around, they know, they have confidence in what they’re saying, they’re loud with it. Our biggest thing, pointing out our youth, is being demonstrative on the court. When it gets quiet out there, it’s tough to have confidence that you’re doing the right thing, that you’re in the right spot and then you’re one step behind, you’re rotating late and then you’re fouling. Collectively, if we talk more, we’ll be in much better position to defend.”

Six Warriors had at least three fouls. Green fouled out, Looney and JaMychal Green had five each, and all 10 Warriors who played had at least one.

“If you’re not defending and you’re fouling, you’re putting yourself in a dangerous spot,” Kerr said.

Looney stands tall: Given that the Magic’s starting lineup featured four players 6-foot-10 or taller, the Warriors needed someone to play big inside.

Looney delivered with his best first half of the season: 10 points, five rebounds, two assists and a steal over his first 13:42 on the court. It was the most points Looney had scored in a half since Feb. 1 at San Antonio (12), and just the ninth time in his career he has scored in double figures in a half.

“Loon was great. We know what we have in Loon,” Kerr said. “He’s there for us every night.”

Looney finished with a career-high 17 points and seven rebounds and three assists.

Bench woes: Guard Ty Jerome (plus-3) was the only Golden State reserve to finish positive in plus/minus. Jordan Poole (11 points) was the only reserve to finish in double-figures, but he shot just 4-of-12 from the field.

Orlando’s bench outscored Golden State’s 45-23 and had a 19-13 rebounding advantage.

“Obviously our starting group looks good,” Kerr said. “They’ve got one of the best NET ratings in the league, if not the best. We’ve got to find combinations that work off the bench and we’ll be making some changes.”