From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Nowels:_Warriors_unveil_unique_new_uniforms_with_yellow
_rose_celebrating_women’s_suffrage
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 19:26:44 -0800
 by: Allen - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 03:26 UTC

Warriors unveil unique new uniforms with yellow rose celebrating women’s
suffrage
Oakland artist Allison Hueman designed the jerseys centered around the
yellow rose
>The Warriors’ 2022-23 city edition uniforms. (Courtesy: Golden State
Warriors)
By MICHAEL NOWELS | mnowels@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 10, 2022 at 11:55 a.m. | UPDATED: November 10, 2022
at 2:55 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/11/10/warriors-unveil-unique-new-uniforms-with-yellow-rose-celebrating-womens-suffrage/

The Warriors are pushing the art form of basketball jerseys with their
new women’s suffrage-themed city edition uniform unveiled Thursday and
set to be worn in Friday’s home game against the Cavaliers.

Oakland artist Allison Hueman designed the 2022-23 city edition jerseys,
which earned the approval of Warriors superstar Steph Curry during the
process.

“It’s dope,” said Curry, who’s worked with Hueman on several project,
including designing a community center in Oakland four years ago. “To be
able to design our jerseys and obviously in terms of women’s empowerment
and the story behind the details of the jersey, it’s loud but it’s
pretty dope.”

The center of the jersey features Art Deco lettering in a nod to Bay
Area landmarks, as well as a line-drawn yellow rose. But the
eye-catching portion of the design is lower: A photorealistic yellow
rose at the base of the jersey, slightly fading as it moves up the abdomen.

The yellow rose is a symbol of the American women’s suffrage movement
that culminated just over a century ago in finally allowing women the
right to vote. With the directive to create a jersey focused on women’s
empowerment, Hueman latched onto the rose, which happened to feature one
of the Warriors’ team colors.

“I am so proud that we will use our uniform, one of the most visible
assets of this franchise, to empower girls and women around the world,”
Warriors chief marketing officer Jen Millet said in a team release.

As for the black base of the jersey, Hueman wanted to create contrast
with a color she says is associated with masculinity.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors: Steph Curry’s torrid start fueled by ‘championship confidence’
Why the Warriors turned to two-way players Ty Jerome, Anthony Lamb
over lottery picks
Warriors notebook: Donte DiVincenzo likely to return Friday. Plus,
what happened to the bench celebrations?
Run TMC trio will broadcast Warriors’ game Monday vs. Spurs
Warriors rookie Ryan Rollins misses second half of G League game
after tweaking foot

“I try to find opposing elements to balance each other out,” she told
ESPN. “I also didn’t want to make something ‘soft’ because not all women
are ‘soft.’”

Social media response Thursday has been tepid at best, but new jerseys
that aren’t tied to throwback themes often draw ire, and, as Millet
pointed out to ESPN, the city edition jerseys only stick around for a
single year. Even jerseys with familiar concepts can fall flat: The
carefully plotted 2020-21 city editions that read “Oakland” were panned
by fans who thought the team was pandering after abandoning the East Bay
for San Francisco’s Chase Center.

This season’s rose-focused uniforms are part of the Warriors’ Empowered
campaign, which is “a celebration of women at the intersection of court,
community and culture in the Bay Area,” according to the team release.
The Warriors and jersey sponsor Rakuten have pledged to donate over
$25,000 to the Women’s Sports Foundation as part of the campaign.

To see more of Hueman’s work, check out her Instagram account.

--
Golden State Warriors
@warriors ·Follow

Official
You saw it here first 🤫

@Rakuten || #Empowered
[pic]

9:05 AM · Nov 10, 2022
5.4K Reply Share
--

Staff reporter Madeline Kenney contributed to this report.

--
Michael Nowels | Digital Sports Strategist
Mike covers sports.