From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin: Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during
Run TMC Warriors broadcast
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 13:38:14 -0800
 by: Allen - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:38 UTC

Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during Run TMC
Warriors broadcast
NBA Hall of Famer Tim Hardaway's off color joke dominates anticipated
reunion broadcast
>Former Golden State Warrior and Run TMC member Tim Hardaway reacts
during a press conference before the Warriors game against the San
Antonio Spurs at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday,
Nov. 14, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 14, 2022 at 9:06 p.m. | UPDATED: November 15, 2022
at 10:07 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/11/14/tim-hardaway-apologizes-on-air-for-insensitive-comment-during-run-tmc-warriors-broadcast/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors’ reunion of their Run TMC trio on Monday
night required an on-air apology after Tim Hardaway made an insensitive
reference to rape during the broadcast.

Hardaway, along with fellow basketball Hall of Famers Chris Mullin and
Mitch Richmond, was in the broadcast booth to call the action in the
Warriors’ 132-95 victory over the San Antonio Spurs.

Early in the third quarter, after Draymond Green had stripped the ball
from the Spurs’ Jakob Poeltl and Mullin had lauded the defensive play,
Hardaway chimed in with a remark that ignited social media.

“Y’all thought that was great D. I thought he was just raping him,”
Hardaway said. “I think he should have called the police on that.”

>Former Golden State Warriors and Run TMC members Tim Hardaway, Mitch
Richmond and Chris Mullin, from left, prepare to call the play-by-play
for the NBC Sports Bay Area broadcast during the Warriors game against
the San Antonio Spurs at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Monday, Nov. 14, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

Late in the fourth quarter, Hardaway issued an apology.

“I used a poor choice of words earlier in the broadcast,” Hardaway said.
“I want to apologize for that. Let’s get back to the game and let’s
finish the game off with a 30-point win and go home happy.”

Until Hardaway’s remark, the broadcast was fun and refreshing with the
Run TMC trio — along with sideline reporter and former teammate Tom
Tolbert — telling stories from their playing days and providing
commentary on the game.

Hardaway, 56, was celebrated for his 2022 Hall of Fame induction in a
video tribute between the first and second quarters. His election to the
Hall was widely thought to be long overdue, likely owing to a homophobic
rant during a radio appearance in 2007.

“It was so wrong of me, and people have suffered,” Hardaway told the San
Francisco Chronicle last summer. “I had to grow up and really do some
soul searching. What I said was just hurtful.”

>Former Golden State Warriors and Run TMC members Tim Hardaway, Mitch
Richmond, from right, take part in a press conference before the
Warriors game against the San Antonio Spurs at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Monday, Nov. 14, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News
Group)

>RELATED ARTICLES
James Wiseman to spend ‘extended period’ in Santa Cruz with Warriors’
G League team
Jordan Poole erupts for 36 points in Warriors’ blowout win over Spurs
Run TMC weighs in on Warriors’ 0-7 road record
Warriors pause partnership with FTX after cryptocurrency firm files
for bankruptcy
Steph Curry could ‘lose big’ from FTX collapse; Michael Lewis set to
write book

--
Shayna Rubin | General Assignment Sports Reporter
Shayna covers Bay Area sports for the Bay Area News Group. She covered

Re: Rubin: Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during Run TMC Warriors broadcast

<jtj0c2Fd6jvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4615&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4615

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: Rubin: Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment
during Run TMC Warriors broadcast
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:31:27 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 02:31 UTC

Allen wrote:
> Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during Run TMC
> Warriors broadcast
> NBA Hall of Famer Tim Hardaway's off color joke dominates anticipated
> reunion broadcast
>
> By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
> PUBLISHED: November 14, 2022 at 9:06 p.m. | UPDATED: November 15, 2022
> at 10:07 a.m.
> https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/11/14/tim-hardaway-apologizes-on-air-for-insensitive-comment-during-run-tmc-warriors-broadcast/
>

> SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors’ reunion of their Run TMC trio on Monday
> night required an on-air apology after Tim Hardaway made an insensitive
> reference to rape during the broadcast.
>
> Hardaway, along with fellow basketball Hall of Famers Chris Mullin and
> Mitch Richmond, was in the broadcast booth to call the action in the
> Warriors’ 132-95 victory over the San Antonio Spurs.
>
> Early in the third quarter, after Draymond Green had stripped the ball
> from the Spurs’ Jakob Poeltl and Mullin had lauded the defensive play,
> Hardaway chimed in with a remark that ignited social media.
>
> “Y’all thought that was great D. I thought he was just raping him,”
> Hardaway said. “I think he should have called the police on that.”

I really enjoyed the broadcast, or what I watched of it. I wasn't
watching when he said this, but I did see his apology. This is the kind
of thing that's going to happen when untrained people are put behind the
mike.

--Robin

Re: Rubin: Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during Run TMC Warriors broadcast

<tl6i18$2oc2s$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4624&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4624

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
during Run TMC Warriors broadcast
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 16:01:44 -0800
 by: Allen - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 00:01 UTC

On 11/15/2022 6:31 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>> Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during Run TMC
>> Warriors broadcast
>> NBA Hall of Famer Tim Hardaway's off color joke dominates anticipated
>> reunion broadcast
>>
>> By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
>> PUBLISHED: November 14, 2022 at 9:06 p.m. | UPDATED: November 15, 2022
>> at 10:07 a.m.
>> https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/11/14/tim-hardaway-apologizes-on-air-for-insensitive-comment-during-run-tmc-warriors-broadcast/
>>

>> SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors’ reunion of their Run TMC trio on Monday
>> night required an on-air apology after Tim Hardaway made an
>> insensitive reference to rape during the broadcast.
>>
>> Hardaway, along with fellow basketball Hall of Famers Chris Mullin and
>> Mitch Richmond, was in the broadcast booth to call the action in the
>> Warriors’ 132-95 victory over the San Antonio Spurs.
>>
>> Early in the third quarter, after Draymond Green had stripped the ball
>> from the Spurs’ Jakob Poeltl and Mullin had lauded the defensive play,
>> Hardaway chimed in with a remark that ignited social media.
>>
>> “Y’all thought that was great D. I thought he was just raping him,”
>> Hardaway said. “I think he should have called the police on that.”
>>

> I really enjoyed the broadcast, or what I watched of it. I wasn't
> watching when he said this, but I did see his apology. This is the kind
> of thing that's going to happen when untrained people are put behind the
> mike.
>
> --Robin

And Tim Hardaway is particularly "untrained". He said something a while
ago (a year? I don't remember) that was insensitive (I don't remember
towards who - trans people? LGBTQ?) & he got in trouble for that.

Re: Rubin: Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during Run TMC Warriors broadcast

<jtoafqF7kmsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4625&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#4625

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
during Run TMC Warriors broadcast
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 21:54:44 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 02:54 UTC

Allen wrote:
> On 11/15/2022 6:31 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>> Allen wrote:
>>> Tim Hardaway apologizes on air for insensitive comment during Run TMC
>>> Warriors broadcast
>>> NBA Hall of Famer Tim Hardaway's off color joke dominates anticipated
>>> reunion broadcast
>>>
>>> By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
>>> PUBLISHED: November 14, 2022 at 9:06 p.m. | UPDATED: November 15,
>>> 2022 at 10:07 a.m.
>>> https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/11/14/tim-hardaway-apologizes-on-air-for-insensitive-comment-during-run-tmc-warriors-broadcast/
>>>

>>> SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors’ reunion of their Run TMC trio on Monday
>>> night required an on-air apology after Tim Hardaway made an
>>> insensitive reference to rape during the broadcast.
>>>
>>> Hardaway, along with fellow basketball Hall of Famers Chris Mullin
>>> and Mitch Richmond, was in the broadcast booth to call the action in
>>> the Warriors’ 132-95 victory over the San Antonio Spurs.
>>>
>>> Early in the third quarter, after Draymond Green had stripped the
>>> ball from the Spurs’ Jakob Poeltl and Mullin had lauded the defensive
>>> play, Hardaway chimed in with a remark that ignited social media.
>>>
>>> “Y’all thought that was great D. I thought he was just raping him,”
>>> Hardaway said. “I think he should have called the police on that.”
>>>

>> I really enjoyed the broadcast, or what I watched of it. I wasn't
>> watching when he said this, but I did see his apology. This is the
>> kind of thing that's going to happen when untrained people are put
>> behind the mike.
>>
>> --Robin
>

> And Tim Hardaway is particularly "untrained". He said something a while
> ago (a year? I don't remember) that was insensitive (I don't remember
> towards who - trans people? LGBTQ?) & he got in trouble for that.

He made antigay comments quite a while ago (as in many years). There is
speculation that that is why it took him so long to make the Hall of Fame.

From 2007:

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2766213

Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people'
Feb 14, 2007

Former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday
afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I
don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am
homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the
United States."

That's pretty hard core.

--Robin