From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Warriors_beat_Knicks_after_having_team_meeting_
to_address_‘elephants_in_the_room’
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:28:54 -0800
 by: Allen - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 03:28 UTC

Warriors beat Knicks after having team meeting to address ‘elephants in
the room’
The Warriors improved to 7-9 on the season, including 7-1 at Chase Center.
>Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) reacts after a 3-point
basket by guard Klay Thompson (11) during the first half of an NBA
basketball game against the New York Knicks in San Francisco, Friday,
Nov. 18, 2022. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 18, 2022 at 9:10 p.m. | UPDATED: November 19, 2022
at 1:03 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/11/18/warriors-show-signs-of-improvement-in-win-over-knicks/

SAN FRANCISCO — After another road loss in Phoenix, a frustrated coach
Steve Kerr called out the team’s lack of commitment to each other and
indicated they weren’t playing for one common goal.

The Warriors changed their ways — at least for one night — Friday in
their 111-101 win over the New York Knicks.

Earlier in the day, the team gathered for a meeting, where Draymond
Green commanded the room and addressed what JaMychal Green called the
“elephants in the room.”

The group discussed the need to play as a unit on offense and move the
ball more, prioritizing easy shots rather than quick, forced attempts.
There was also an emphasis on defense, something that had been the
Warriors’ bread and butter for years but has been slipping this season.

“We addressed a lot of things that needed to be addressed,” JaMychal
Green said after the win. “… We had that hard conversation that a lot of
people don’t want to have. We had that conversation, it was much needed.
I think it got people more focused and locked in into what we have to do
as a team.”

Draymond Green also told Klay Thompson, who had been trying to shoot his
way out of an early-season slump, to be patient and trust the team.

And that’s exactly what Thompson did Friday night against the Knicks.

Thompson got off to a hot start, scoring 11 points in the opening
quarter. In one particular sequence, Thompson came off a screen and went
up for a contested shot. But instead of launching it, Thompson passed it
mid-air to a rolling Kevon Looney, who was fouled and then made his two
free throws.

Thompson came in clutch down the stretch. With the Knicks battling back
from a double-figure deficit in the fourth, Thompson put the nail in the
coffin with a 3-pointer that killed the visiting team’s hopes for good.

“That felt awesome, especially when you swish the ball,” Thompson said.
“That’s the best feeling as a shooter is tickling the twine like that.”

Thompson finished with 20 points and shot 50% from the field for the
first time this season.

“It just felt incredible to have an efficient night from the field,” he
said. “It’s definitely gonna be something for me to build on.”

The Warriors did a good job from the jump with ball movement and playing
with energy — two main things discussed in the morning meeting. Stephen
Curry was a big part of that, recording five assists in the opening
quarter. Two of those dimes fed Thompson for back-to-back 3-pointers.

Curry still finished with a game-high 24 points. He also contributed six
rebounds, 10 assists and two steals for his third double-double this
season. Andrew Wiggins added 20 points and seven rebounds.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Patience pays off for Klay Thompson in Warriors’ win over Knicks
Steve Kerr weighs in on why Warriors have struggled on road
Steve Kerr says he’s ‘failed’ to bring Warriors together as reigning
champs remain winless on road
Kurtenbach: The Warriors are failing Steph Curry
Steph Curry’s 50-point performance not enough as Warriors fall to Suns

Jordan Poole and JaMychal Green combined for 25 points off the bench.

Fouling was an issue for the Warriors, especially in the fourth. The
Knicks, who trailed by 13 points heading into the final quarter, came
within eight with less than six minutes left. The Warriors quickly
extinguished any momentum New York might’ve garnered on their push,
going on an 8-0 run led by Curry and Thompson which put the game away
for good.

The Warriors sent the Knicks to the free throw line 34 times, and they
made all but two. Meanwhile, Golden State had an uncharacteristic off
night from the charity stripe, where they shot 11 of 20.

Overall, Friday was a step in the right direction for the Warriors, who
remain winless on the road.

“Much better approach, much better energy and spirit,” Kerr said. “Just
the group was connected, they stuck together when the Knicks made a big
run and it was a really good effort. Now we just have to do that
consistently and I have no doubt that we will.”

Added Thompson, “The common goal is defending our title. So one foot in
front of the other.”

The Warriors improved to 7-9 on the season, including 7-1 at Chase
Center. They remain winless on the road, but their next opportunity to
get their first win away from the Bay Area will come Sunday when they
play in Houston against the Rockets, one of only three Western
Conference teams who have a worse record.