From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA (Poole): Kerr passionately defends Steph after no-call in
Warriors-Bucks game
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 21:00:39 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.14
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 02:00 UTC

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/steph-currys-outcry-after-no-call-warriors-bucks-defended-steve-kerr

Kerr passionately defends Steph after no-call in Warriors-Bucks game

10H ago
by Monte Poole

The list of wishes submitted by Dub Nation in recent years is long and
in some instances wholly unrealistic. One that has simmered for years
was addressed Tuesday night.

Steve Kerr was visibly irritated with the way Stephen Curry was
officiated in a 128-111 loss to the Bucks at Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee.

One call, in particular, came late in the first quarter, when Bucks
guard Wesley Matthews, coming from the rear and then the side, whacked
Curry in the head with his left arm in the process of shooting a
3-pointer. Curry drained the shot, but the lack of a whistle had both
Curry and his coach bristling, with both being assessed technical fouls.

And neither was in the mood for excuses after the game.

“Anytime the defender is asking you ‘Are you are alright?’ and the ref
is like, ‘I didn’t see anything,’ that’s kind of a funny situation to be
in,” Curry told reporters in Milwaukee. “I thought it was clear that I
got hit in the face. I was actually surprised it went in. I was more
worried about where the foul call was.

“That was a heat-of-the-moment thing. You let your emotions out.”

Running back on defense, Curry protested vociferously until he was
whistled by umpire Ray Acosta. When Kerr let loose with his indignation
seconds later, he received the tech treatment from referee Ben Taylor.

None of the three referees was in a perfect position to see the contact,
after which Curry landed on his butt.

“I was already mad at several non-calls in the paint,” said Kerr, who
earned every note his tech. “There should have been a block on (Khris)
Middleton on Jordan Poole’s drive, and the officials admitted they
missed that. Then I thought Jordan got fouled on reverse layup. And then
there was a continuation that was given to Giannis (Antetokounmpo) that
I didn’t feel like was continuation. It just felt like we were on the
bad end of things.”

As Kerr spoke at the postgame podium, his fury became increasingly
transparent. There was a lot about which to be exasperated – curious
officiating, sloppy performance, being outmuscled – but the non-call on
Matthews’ contact Curry took the coach over the top.

“And then Steph Curry gets hit in the head on a 3-point shot,” he
continued. “That needs to be called! That’s what he does. It’s Steph
Curry. You can’t miss that. I was frustrated because if Steph gets a
technical, then he definitely got fouled.”

NBA traditionally have a subjective whistle relative to the players
involved. They relentlessly promote the league’s best players, whose
presence is good for business.

Revenue always is the priority, so superstars generally are treated with
a certain reverence. See: Jordan, Michael. Bird, Larry. Malone, Karl.
Nowitzki, Dirk. James, LeBron. Harden, James (Rockets version). Doncic,
Luka. Check their free throw totals.

Rarely, though, is Curry – a two-time MVP whose physique is considerably
smaller than the aforementioned seven – afforded such recognition by
officials.

Despite frequently attacking the rim, Curry averages a mere 4.3 free
throws per game over a career now in Year 14. His per-game average of
6.3 free throws in 2020-21 was a career-high. He’s averaging 5.0 this
season, tied for 36th. Kristaps Porzingis shoots more free throws.
Rookies Paolo Banchero and Bennedict Mathurin shoot more free throws.

Curry may never get the whistle most players of his stature expect.

Kerr’s response Tuesday night to that particular non-call was his most
passionate defense of his franchise player. The coach jumped off the
bench in real-time, and then literally pounded the table in his postgame
news conference.

“That’s what an engaged coach should do,” Curry said. “I told him I
appreciate the energy.”

That appreciation is matched, if not exceeded, by Curry’s most devoted
hoop congregants. Kerr’s rant might not make an iota of difference, and
probably won’t, but the spice displayed answered the wishes of many.