From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Jonathan Kuminga comes up clutch in fourth to help fend off
Hornets
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 14:42:15 -0800
 by: Allen - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 22:42 UTC

Jonathan Kuminga comes up clutch in fourth to help fend off Hornets
Klay Thompson scored 29 points, Jordan Poole added 24 and Jonathan
Kuminga came in clutch in the fourth to help the Warriors win
back-to-back games for the first time since Dec. 2 and 3.
>Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson #11 shoots a 3-poiint basket in
the first quarter of their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: December 27, 2022 at 9:35 p.m. | UPDATED: December 28, 2022
at 10:10 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/12/27/warriors-avert-near-disaster-home-court-fend-off-hornets/

SAN FRANCISCO — Jonathan Kuminga has shifted his focus from packing the
box score each night to honing in on the little details.

“Just making winning plays,” he said his mindset has been.

That’s exactly what he did in a gutsy fourth quarter Tuesday night that
helped the Warriors fend off the Charlotte Hornets, 110-105.

Klay Thompson scored a team-high 29 points, Jordan Poole added 24 and
Kuminga came in clutch down the stretch to help the Warriors win
back-to-back games for the first time since Dec. 2 and 3.

Playing without two starters for the sixth straight game, the Warriors
opened the second half with a 5-0 run to go up by 18 and force the
Hornets to take a timeout and regroup. Charlotte trimmed the deficit to
seven in the third but the Warriors expanded it to 11 before heading
into the final 12 minutes.

That’s when the momentum started to shift. Charlotte went on a 20-4 run
early in the fourth, capped off by a P.J. Washington 3, to make it
96-95. Gordon Hayward hit a 3 to knot the game up at 101 with 4:19 left.

>Golden State Warriors' Jonathan Kuminga #00 shoots past Charlotte
Hornets' JT Thor #21 in the second quarter of their NBA game at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

But it was Kuminga who took matters into his own hands, stepping up in a
major way on both ends of the floor. With the game tied up, he cleanly
ripped the ball from Washington in the corner in a play that mirrored a
move by Kuminga’s mentor, Andre Iguodala.

“That was will, that was I want the ball more than you,” Draymond Green
said of Kuminga’s fourth-quarter surge. “That was our backs are against
the wall, we lost the lead, let me make the play myself. And so he took
the ball, he gets a dunk, he goes and snatches a rebound in traffic. He
made every single play down the stretch. And I think it all started with
that play with PJ Washington, just taking the ball. He man-handled him.”

Kuminga grabbed three defensive boards and scored eight of his 14 points
in the fourth. His two-handed slam put the Warriors up six with 21
seconds left and came off a feed from Poole who carved through traffic
to find the 6-foot-7 forward.

Tuesday’s two-way effort was another example of the 20-year-old’s growth
as a defensive stopper over the last month.

“I’m just that type of player who comes in and [is] trying to help this
team win,” he said. “I don’t like anybody scoring against me. Just
watching the way Draymond, Klay, Andre, the way they play defense, that
just inspires me to go out there.”

Kuminga wants to keep up the legacy established by the veterans. But
he’s also carving out his spot, alongside Poole, to be a cornerstone in
the Warriors’ next core group.

>Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green (23) and Golden State Warriors'
Jonathan Kuminga (00) doubleteam Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart (36) in
the fourth quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco,
Calif., on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

“I feel super comfortable at this point,” he said. “It’s just getting
those reps every single day. Sometimes when I play, I do [make] some
mistakes, not as much because Steve won’t let me do that. But just being
there every day, coming out here, working every single day, getting
better, being around the guys that we have, the team just kind of helps
me to be more confident on the floor.”

The Warriors overcame a shoddy shooting night, going a paltry 8-of-37
from 3, to win a game they should’ve cemented in a more commanding
fashion. And they have Thompson to thank for getting things going
offensively. He scored 14 points in the first quarter and made four 3s.
He finished the night with five triples, five rebounds and four assists.
Meanwhile, the rest of the squad went 3-for-25 from downtown.

“This was a night where we couldn’t put the ball in the basket to save
our life,” Kerr said. “We were getting some good looks, which is one of
those nights where the ball wasn’t going in.”

The Hornets didn’t shoot the 3-ball much better, finishing 10-for-38
from behind the 3-point line.

The Hornets’ scoring was more evenly distributed, with five Charlotte
players finishing in double-figure scoring. LaMelo Ball led the way with
21 points and 10 rebounds.

The Warriors shot the ball well in the first quarter, converting at a
54.2% clip from the field. But after making six of their first 10
attempts from beyond the arc, Golden State went uncharacteristically
cold from deep, missing 17 consecutive 3s from the end of the first to
late in the third. Thompson ended the drought, draining a 3 with at the
1:22 mark of the third to put Golden State up 89-75.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Rookie Patrick Baldwin Jr. details whirlwind Wednesday trip to Santa
Cruz before helping Warriors win
Warriors stay hot at home, come back to beat Jazz 112-107
Warriors need a patient, consistent Klay Thompson without Stephen Curry
Andrew Wiggins nearing return to Warriors
Three roster questions facing Warriors as they enter 2023

Thompson started the game well, finding a good rhythm early and scoring
14 first-quarter points that included four made 3s. But he joined the
rest of the team in having offensive lulls throughout the final three
quarters.

“I definitely want to finish better than 5-for-12 but I’ll take the W,”
he said.

Thompson praised the team on another “great team effort.

“A lot of fun to build a win streak here at home after a nasty road
trip, so it’s definitely something to build on,” he continued. “But it’s
a quick turnaround, we play [Wednesday], and I think we’ll shoot much
better. But just a gutsy win, performance all around.”

Though Stephen Curry remains out indefinitely with a shoulder injury,
Andrew Wiggins’ return is on the horizon. He’s been cleared to come
back, but is out sick and expected to miss Wednesday’s game against the
Jazz, too. Thompson’s status for the backend of the back-to-back is also
up in the air, though he said he’s hopeful to play.

“It would be fun,” Thompson said.

>[Lots of pics:]
Golden State Warriors' Jordan Poole #3 drives past Charlotte Hornets'
Terry Rozier #3 and Mason Plumlee #24 in the first quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole #3 drives past Charlotte Hornets’
Terry Rozier #3 and Mason Plumlee #24 in the first quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Kevon Looney #5 defends as Charlotte Hornets'
LaMelo Ball #1 goes to the basket in the first quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Kevon Looney #5 defends as Charlotte Hornets’
LaMelo Ball #1 goes to the basket in the first quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry reacts as Golden State Warriors'
Klay Thompson #11 makes a 3-point basket in the first quarter of their
NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News
Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry reacts as Golden State Warriors’
Klay Thompson #11 makes a 3-point basket in the first quarter of their
NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News
Group)
Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green #23 drives to the basket past
Charlotte Hornets' Gordon Hayward #20 in the first quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green #23 drives to the basket past
Charlotte Hornets’ Gordon Hayward #20 in the first quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Charlotte Hornets' Mason Plumlee #24 dribbles past Golden State
Warriors' Jonathan Kuminga #00 in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Charlotte Hornets’ Mason Plumlee #24 dribbles past Golden State
Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga #00 in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Anthony Lamb #40 tries to block a shot by
Charlotte Hornets' JT Thor #21 in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Anthony Lamb #40 tries to block a shot by
Charlotte Hornets’ JT Thor #21 in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Moses Moody #4 and Draymond Green #23 double team
Charlotte Hornets' LaMelo Ball #1 in the second quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Moses Moody #4 and Draymond Green #23 double team
Charlotte Hornets’ LaMelo Ball #1 in the second quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Moses Moody #4 drives past Charlotte Hornets'
P.J. Washington #25 for a layup in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Moses Moody #4 drives past Charlotte Hornets’
P.J. Washington #25 for a layup in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr, center and assistant
coaches watch the action in the second quarter of their NBA game against
the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr, center and assistant
coaches watch the action in the second quarter of their NBA game against
the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Jordan Poole #3 and Charlotte Hornets' Theo
Maledon #9 battle for the ball in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole #3 and Charlotte Hornets’ Theo
Maledon #9 battle for the ball in the second quarter of their NBA game
at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green #23 brings the ball down court in
the second quarter of their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at
the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green #23 brings the ball down court in
the second quarter of their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at
the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022.
(Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Jordan Poole #3 reacts in the second quarter of
their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News
Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole #3 reacts in the second quarter of
their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News
Group)
Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green #23 tries to block a pass by
Charlotte Hornets' Mason Plumlee #24 in the third quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green #23 tries to block a pass by
Charlotte Hornets’ Mason Plumlee #24 in the third quarter of their NBA
game at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27,
2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' James Wiseman #33 reacts after a basket in the
third quarter of their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ James Wiseman #33 reacts after a basket in the
third quarter of their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Charlotte Hornets' Mark Williams #5 shoots over Golden State Warriors'
James Wiseman #33 in the third quarter of their NBA game at the Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Charlotte Hornets’ Mark Williams #5 shoots over Golden State Warriors’
James Wiseman #33 in the third quarter of their NBA game at the Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green #23 laughs in the second quarter
of their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area
News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green #23 laughs in the second quarter
of their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area
News Group)
Golden State Warriors' James Wiseman #33 shoots past Charlotte Hornets'
Jalen McDaniels #6 in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at the Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ James Wiseman #33 shoots past Charlotte Hornets’
Jalen McDaniels #6 in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at the Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane
Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Fans cheer after Golden State Warriors' Jordan Poole #3 makes a basket
and falls on the court in the fourth quarter of their NBA game against
the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Fans cheer after Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole #3 makes a basket
and falls on the court in the fourth quarter of their NBA game against
the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors' Ty Jerome #10 brings the ball down court as he's
guarded by Charlotte Hornets' LaMelo Ball #1 in the second quarter of
their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News
Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Ty Jerome #10 brings the ball down court as he’s
guarded by Charlotte Hornets’ LaMelo Ball #1 in the second quarter of
their NBA game against the Charlotte Hornets at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News
Group)
Golden State Warriors' Jordan Poole #3 is congratulated by Charlotte
Hornets' Terry Rozier #3 after their 110-105 NBA win at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay
Area News Group)
Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole #3 is congratulated by Charlotte
Hornets’ Terry Rozier #3 after their 110-105 NBA win at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. (Jane Tyska/Bay
Area News Group)

Click here to read the complete article