From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: SDUT: Nick Canepa's grades for the Miami game
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 22:21:32 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.17
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 02:21 UTC

RM: Some of these are way to harsh, but not the coaching grade.
Although even there he could have mentioned Kellen Moore, who called a
very good game.

The O Line grade is silly; they were excellent. And Herbert should have
been a C.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sports-columnists/story/2023-09-10/nick-canepas-report-card-chargers-o-line-coaches-fail-season-opening-test-against-dolphins

Nick Canepa’s report card: Chargers’ O-line, coaches fail season-opening
test against Dolphins

By Nick Canepa
Columnist

The Union-Tribune’s Nick Canepa grades the Chargers following Sunday’s
36-34 loss to the Dolphins at SoFi Stadium:

Quarterbacks: D

It didn’t take Justin Herbert long to find Keenan Allen with a nice
36-yarder that soon led to an Austin Ekeler rushing touchdown. But this
shouldn’t have been his game to win, not they ran it (234 yards). Hard
to lose at home with that number and no turnovers. But he did not play
up to his standards when it mattered.

Running backs: A

Ekeler as usual was Austin Ekeler, running smart, finding holes,
catching it — and most important, the end zone. His 55-yarder through a
hole the entire Spanos family could get through set up a one-yard pass
to Donald Parham Jr., the Wilt Chamberlain of tight ends.

Receivers: C

Had trouble separating at first, but it didn’t take long for Allen to
get deep (rarely seen last year). Mike Williams took a second-quarter
hat to the hat and went into concussion — and returned after the break
and caught a huge 22-yarder

Offensive line: F

It was an “A” before the last series, when Herbert was sacked twice
(which hadn’t occurred all day). The line blocked for the run better
than any of their O lines in memory. But teacher remembers the end.
That’s why we have finals.

Defensive line: D-

To say Brandon “Genius” Staley’s defense, so good vs. Miami last year,
stunk would be calling it Chanel No. 5. Pathetic. Allowed 536 total
yards. The highlight easily was Nick Williams’ fumble recovery when it
appeared a Fish TD was in order. There was no disruption and zero pass
rush, allowing fragile Tua to find a barrel, and shooting fish in it.

Linebackers: F

Joey Bosa began his new career jumping offside on the first play and
then had a lovely facemask penalty. Did nothing. Tiffany Tua was given
far too much time to throw.

Secondary: LIS (Lost In Space)

Beaten like an old Persian rug by receiver speed, got lucky when
Dolphins fumbled it away at the 6. Tyreek Hill couldn’t be covered by
satellite. Fortunately safety Derwin James was back being himself, but
he couldn’t do enough. Michael Davis made plays, as in more than one.
J.C. Jackson was guilty of an all-time bonehead PI on a halftime Hail
Mary that eventually produced a field goal that became the difference in
the game.

Special teams: Incomplete

Other team only punted once. Cameron Dicker The Kicker nailed a
career-long 50-yard field goal to tie it 17-17 at the break, and a
shorter one, and kicked off deep.

Coaching: F-

Staley’s defensive plan: “Don’t stop anybody. Don’t get after Tua. Don’t
double-cover Hill so we can lose a winnable home game.” Absolutely
amateurish. If there were adjustments, they stunk.He had a bad
challenge. Great defensive coaches find a way to at least do something.
He found nothing. Miami will not do this again.

Next opportunity — at Tennessee _ A.

The Titans are not going to score enough points to beat this team —
unless Staley turns Ryan Tannahill into Tua.

Re: SDUT: Nick Canepa's grades for the Miami game

<61b04d2c-0bf2-480f-a7d7-9db87a0f233cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4835&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4835

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 08:07:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SDUT: Nick Canepa's grades for the Miami game
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:07 UTC

On Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 7:21:37 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> Mary that eventually produced a field goal that became the difference in
> the game.
>

> Special teams: Incomplete
>
> Other team only punted once. Cameron Dicker The Kicker nailed a
> career-long 50-yard field goal to tie it 17-17 at the break, and a
> shorter one, and kicked off deep.
>

> Coaching: F-
>
> Staley’s defensive plan: “Don’t stop anybody. Don’t get after Tua. Don’t
> double-cover Hill so we can lose a winnable home game.” Absolutely
> amateurish. If there were adjustments, they stunk.He had a bad
> challenge. Great defensive coaches find a way to at least do something.
> He found nothing. Miami will not do this again.
>

> Next opportunity — at Tennessee _ A.
>
> The Titans are not going to score enough points to beat this team —
> unless Staley turns Ryan Tannahill into Tua.

Giving Herbert a D is pretty harsh. I'd put him in B-/C+ territory myself. Also giving the offensive line an F is extremely harsh, at minimum they should get a C (Canepa was wrong that the two sacks at the end were the first of the game, Herbert got sacked at the one inch line after Jackson's boneheaded decision to run the INT out of the endzone). The defense was a joke and 95+% of the reason they lost.

Michael