From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/OCR:_Warriors_owner_Joe_Lacob_confirms_he’
s_considering_bid_for_Angels
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 14:41:17 -0800
 by: Allen - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:41 UTC

Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob confirms he’s considering bid for
Angels
Lacob grew up in Orange County and said there’s an ‘attraction’ to the
Angels, but he said it would be easier for him to buy one of the teams
in the Bay Area, if either were for sale
>Golden State Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob is a popular choice as a
potential new owner for the Angels. The Katella High graduate (class of
’74), rooted for the Angels after his family moved here, and he
eventually worked as an Angel Stadium peanut vendor both while in high
school and in college at UC Irvine. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg, File)
By JEFFREY FLETCHER | jlfletcher@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: January 6, 2023 at 4:20 a.m. | UPDATED: January 6, 2023 at
12:06 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/01/06/warriors-owner-joe-lacob-confirms-hes-considering-bid-for-angels/

Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob said that he is considering a bid
to buy the Angels, confirming what has been widely speculated for
months, but he said he has not yet decided to go forward.

“It’s been reported that we’re interested, which is true, but I don’t
know what we’re going to do yet,” Lacob said Thursday on a podcast
hosted by The Athletic’s Tim Kawakami.

The topic was mostly basketball, but Kawakami asked about the chances of
Lacob buying a baseball team. He said he’d be more interested in one of
the Bay Area’s two teams, neither of which are currently for sale.

Lacob said the Angels “have a little bit of an attraction for me”
because he grew up in Orange County and worked as a peanut vendor at
Angel Stadium.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors vet Andre Iguodala to make season debut Saturday: ‘It’s a go’
Draymond Green recorded, but did not publish podcast after Jordan
Poole punch
Steph Curry leads West backcourt in All-Star voting; 5 other Warriors
in close contention for spots
Draymond Green tried to de-escalate Isaiah Stewart tiff before
ejection: “I said, ‘Chill out, bro’”
Klay Thompson scores 30 but Warriors lose in final second to Pistons

“It’s an older stadium that’s been around for a long time, but I always
felt there were great possibilities,” Lacob said. “L.A. is a huge market
and it’s part of that L.A. overall market. And they have drawn over 3
million fans I think 17 out of the last 20 years. So we’re going to look
at it. It wouldn’t be the easiest thing in the world to do, because it
is not co-located like, perhaps a local baseball team might be. But it
may be doable. We’ll see.”

Angels owner Arte Moreno announced in August that he would explore a
sale of the franchise he’s owned since 2003. Last month at the Winter
Meetings, Commissioner Rob Manfred said that interested parties were
looking at the financial data. Manfred said the Angels were hopeful a
sale could be completed by Opening Day, but it remained to be seen if
the bidding process could be completed that quickly.

--
Jeffrey Fletcher | Reporter
Jeff Fletcher has covered the Angels since 2013. Before that, he spent