The whole of life is futile unless you consider it as a sporting proposition.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Don't even know what to say anymore

SubjectAuthor
* Don't even know what to say anymorephlash74
+- Re: Don't even know what to say anymoreReneG
`* Re: Don't even know what to say anymoreRobin Miller
 `* Re: Don't even know what to say anymoreEddie Grove
  `- Re: Don't even know what to say anymoreRobin Miller

1
Don't even know what to say anymore

<6ddd85b4-8d6a-44b1-8d99-4c98469b7a83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4987&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4987

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:41:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Don't even know what to say anymore
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:41 UTC

The defense finally plays a decent game (although not without a couple of killer penalties and blown coverages) and the offense pretty much no-shows, scoring just 10 points in the last 50 minutes. They didn't score at all except on the three drives that started in Dallas territory thanks to Davis' punt returns and the fluke play on the muffed punt.

I'll watch the Bears game in two weeks because it happens to be on Peacock but after that I don't think I'll even bother looking for the games on the less than legal streams I use. It's so much better for my mental health to not pay attention to this team when I already know how the story goes.

Michael

Re: Don't even know what to say anymore

<f4a76e2f-557d-48f2-bf77-4c1c629b4a71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4988&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4988

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Don't even know what to say anymore
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:11 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:41:39 AM UTC-7, phlash74 wrote:
> The defense finally plays a decent game (although not without a couple of killer penalties and blown coverages) and the offense pretty much no-shows, scoring just 10 points in the last 50 minutes. They didn't score at all except on the three drives that started in Dallas territory thanks to Davis' punt returns and the fluke play on the muffed punt.
>
> I'll watch the Bears game in two weeks because it happens to be on Peacock but after that I don't think I'll even bother looking for the games on the less than legal streams I use. It's so much better for my mental health to not pay attention to this team when I already know how the story goes.
>
> Michael

Other than Asante, everyone else in the secondary is playing below average. James seems to get a personal foul for head hunting at least once a game and yesterday was two.

Re: Don't even know what to say anymore

<kp8b4eFbtq6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4989&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4989

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:03:07 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:03 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> The defense finally plays a decent game (although not without a couple of killer penalties and blown coverages) and the offense pretty much no-shows, scoring just 10 points in the last 50 minutes. They didn't score at all except on the three drives that started in Dallas territory thanks to Davis' punt returns and the fluke play on the muffed punt.
>
> I'll watch the Bears game in two weeks because it happens to be on Peacock but after that I don't think I'll even bother looking for the games on the less than legal streams I use. It's so much better for my mental health to not pay attention to this team when I already know how the story goes.
>
> Michael

The title of your post is pretty much my reaction. The Chargers are
committing the cardinal sin of being both bad and boring. It's just so
frustrating. They have all these players who are supposed to be good,
yet the totality is so much less than expected.

I think the bottom line (well, one of them) is that Chargers have no
true impact players--players who can singlehandedly affect the course of
the game. They have several "good" players--Hebert, Allen, Ekeler and
Slater on offense, Bosa, Mack and James on defense. But none of them
make enough of a difference. And that's even true of Herbert right now.
Yesterday was his worst game I can remember.

Davis (who shows real ability at times) is just getting toasted in the
secondary, and they have no one to replace him. Leonard is their fourth
cornerback, and he's both injured and untested in any event. I don't
really know anything about him.

--Robin

Re: Don't even know what to say anymore

<8734y7y6uk.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4991&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4991

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:10:43 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 21:10 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> phlash74 wrote:
>> The defense finally plays a decent game (although not without a
>> couple of killer penalties and blown coverages) and the offense
>> pretty much no-shows, scoring just 10 points in the last 50
>> minutes. They didn't score at all except on the three drives that
>> started in Dallas territory thanks to Davis' punt returns and the
>> fluke play on the muffed punt.
>>
>> I'll watch the Bears game in two weeks because it happens to be on
>> Peacock but after that I don't think I'll even bother looking for
>> the games on the less than legal streams I use. It's so much better
>> for my mental health to not pay attention to this team when I
>> already know how the story goes.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> The title of your post is pretty much my reaction. The Chargers are
> committing the cardinal sin of being both bad and boring. It's just so
> frustrating. They have all these players who are supposed to be good,
> yet the totality is so much less than expected.
>
> I think the bottom line (well, one of them) is that Chargers have no
> true impact players--players who can singlehandedly affect the course
> of the game. They have several "good" players--Hebert, Allen, Ekeler
> and Slater on offense, Bosa, Mack and James on defense. But none of
> them make enough of a difference. And that's even true of Herbert
> right now. Yesterday was his worst game I can remember.
>
> Davis (who shows real ability at times) is just getting toasted in the
> secondary, and they have no one to replace him. Leonard is their
> fourth cornerback, and he's both injured and untested in any event. I
> don't really know anything about him.
>
> --Robin

Finally a game where I don't think Staley was the primary reason for the
loss. Wasn't the difference in this game Herbert not having enough
time? I think the real blame goes to the loss of Corey Linsley. I
can't even blame the training staff for Linsley being out. That's just
bad luck. I assume it's hard to predict a heart problem.

Of course, Linsley isn't coming back, so it's depressing. However, IMO
this is run of the mill life in the NFL, not the Chargers chargering.

Re: Don't even know what to say anymore

<kpbgk5F7hpiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=4992&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4992

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 21:55:13 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 01:55 UTC

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> phlash74 wrote:
>>> The defense finally plays a decent game (although not without a
>>> couple of killer penalties and blown coverages) and the offense
>>> pretty much no-shows, scoring just 10 points in the last 50
>>> minutes. They didn't score at all except on the three drives that
>>> started in Dallas territory thanks to Davis' punt returns and the
>>> fluke play on the muffed punt.
>>>
>>> I'll watch the Bears game in two weeks because it happens to be on
>>> Peacock but after that I don't think I'll even bother looking for
>>> the games on the less than legal streams I use. It's so much better
>>> for my mental health to not pay attention to this team when I
>>> already know how the story goes.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> The title of your post is pretty much my reaction. The Chargers are
>> committing the cardinal sin of being both bad and boring. It's just so
>> frustrating. They have all these players who are supposed to be good,
>> yet the totality is so much less than expected.
>>
>> I think the bottom line (well, one of them) is that Chargers have no
>> true impact players--players who can singlehandedly affect the course
>> of the game. They have several "good" players--Hebert, Allen, Ekeler
>> and Slater on offense, Bosa, Mack and James on defense. But none of
>> them make enough of a difference. And that's even true of Herbert
>> right now. Yesterday was his worst game I can remember.
>>
>> Davis (who shows real ability at times) is just getting toasted in the
>> secondary, and they have no one to replace him. Leonard is their
>> fourth cornerback, and he's both injured and untested in any event. I
>> don't really know anything about him.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Finally a game where I don't think Staley was the primary reason for the
> loss. Wasn't the difference in this game Herbert not having enough
> time? I think the real blame goes to the loss of Corey Linsley. I
> can't even blame the training staff for Linsley being out. That's just
> bad luck. I assume it's hard to predict a heart problem.
>
> Of course, Linsley isn't coming back, so it's depressing. However, IMO
> this is run of the mill life in the NFL, not the Chargers chargering.

Yes, losing Linsley has really disrupted the cohesion of the OL. Slater
has given up an unusual number of pressures the last two weeks.

--Robin