From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Finally a big win for the Chargers
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:31:15 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.17.1
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:31 UTC

But over a team with another rookie QB.

Herbert finally started to look like himself. And I think QJ caught five
of six targets. Palmer came back into the game but didn't do much after
he hurt his knee again.

What's the matter with Slater? He's not dominating like seasons past. Is
it the new LG and now a backup center?

The Chargers' running game was disappointingly nonexistent.

Samuel can't tackle.

Gillman is better than I thought.

The whole OL has not been the solid unit I thought they finally had.
Losing Linsley is a big part of that, but also I don't think any of the
other four starters are playing to the level I thought/hoped they would.

I barely noticed Davis. Were they just going after Samuel that much?

--Robin

Re: Finally a big win for the Chargers

<69a63379-9ea4-4800-a790-b59b1fa7dfb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=5036&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#5036

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:34:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Finally a big win for the Chargers
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 00:34 UTC

On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 9:31:21 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> But over a team with another rookie QB.
>
> Herbert finally started to look like himself. And I think QJ caught five
> of six targets. Palmer came back into the game but didn't do much after
> he hurt his knee again.
>
> What's the matter with Slater? He's not dominating like seasons past. Is
> it the new LG and now a backup center?
>
> The Chargers' running game was disappointingly nonexistent.
>
> Samuel can't tackle.
>
> Gillman is better than I thought.
>
> The whole OL has not been the solid unit I thought they finally had.
> Losing Linsley is a big part of that, but also I don't think any of the
> other four starters are playing to the level I thought/hoped they would.
>
> I barely noticed Davis. Were they just going after Samuel that much?
>
> --Robin

The second half offense is very concerning. Last 4 games, they've scored a total of 16 second half points and the lone touchdown was set up by a fluke punt muff against Dallas where the Chargers got the ball on the Cowboys' 20, got a DPI to take the ball to the 5, then needed 4 downs to score from there. It's like they come out with a good offensive gameplan, but never adjust once the defense changes to address what they are having the early success with.

MIchael

Re: Finally a big win for the Chargers

<kqdmccFildlU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=5039&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#5039

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 21:02:00 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 01:02 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 9:31:21 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
>> But over a team with another rookie QB.
>>
>> Herbert finally started to look like himself. And I think QJ caught five
>> of six targets. Palmer came back into the game but didn't do much after
>> he hurt his knee again.
>>
>> What's the matter with Slater? He's not dominating like seasons past. Is
>> it the new LG and now a backup center?
>>
>> The Chargers' running game was disappointingly nonexistent.
>>
>> Samuel can't tackle.
>>
>> Gillman is better than I thought.
>>
>> The whole OL has not been the solid unit I thought they finally had.
>> Losing Linsley is a big part of that, but also I don't think any of the
>> other four starters are playing to the level I thought/hoped they would.
>>
>> I barely noticed Davis. Were they just going after Samuel that much?
>>
>> --Robin
>

> The second half offense is very concerning. Last 4 games, they've scored a total of 16 second half points and the lone touchdown was set up by a fluke punt muff against Dallas where the Chargers got the ball on the Cowboys' 20, got a DPI to take the ball to the 5, then needed 4 downs to score from there. It's like they come out with a good offensive gameplan, but never adjust once the defense changes to address what they are having the early success with.
>
> MIchael

And Popper's article in The Athletic today is how Moore wanted to
improve the Chargers' run game, and it has actually regressed--although
I think that's mostly because of Ekeler's absence and the OL not being
as strong as we thought it would be.

Maybe Moore isn't the answer?

--Robin

Re: Finally a big win for the Chargers

<ui9krh$11dsl$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=5045&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#5045

From: klp...@someoem.com (klp)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 03:00:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: klp - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 03:00 UTC

On 30 Oct 2023, phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> posted some

> On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 9:31:21 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
>> But over a team with another rookie QB.
>>
>> Herbert finally started to look like himself. And I think QJ caught
>> five
>
>> of six targets. Palmer came back into the game but didn't do much
>> after
>
>> he hurt his knee again.
>>
>> What's the matter with Slater? He's not dominating like seasons past.
>> Is
>
>> it the new LG and now a backup center?
>>
>> The Chargers' running game was disappointingly nonexistent.
>>
>> Samuel can't tackle.
>>
>> Gillman is better than I thought.
>>
>> The whole OL has not been the solid unit I thought they finally had.
>> Losing Linsley is a big part of that, but also I don't think any of
>> the
>
>> other four starters are playing to the level I thought/hoped they
>> would.
>

>> I barely noticed Davis. Were they just going after Samuel that much?
>>
>> --Robin
>

> The second half offense is very concerning. Last 4 games, they've
> scored a total of 16 second half points and the lone touchdown was set
> up by a fluke punt muff against Dallas where the Chargers got the ball
> on the Cowboys' 20, got a DPI to take the ball to the 5, then needed 4
> downs to score from there. It's like they come out with a good
> offensive gameplan, but never adjust once the defense changes to
> address what they are having the early success with.
>
> MIchael

They easily rank in the upper half of many offensive categories but there
are gaps. Rushing for one, OL line looks like a screen door on a
submarine sometimes.

Not a good thing when your QB is the top scoring rusher either.

Rushing Touchdowns
17t J. Herbert LAC 7 29

Drops
Not sure if this is positive or negative. Positive meaning receivers are
not dropping passes, negative not throwing enough for them to drop any.

32 Los Angeles Chargers 4

Watching the receivers frustrates me. A Charger receiver will catch a
pass, be one yard away from a 1st down, then juke and dodge backwards
losing a couple yards avoiding contact instead of putting their head down
fighting for the 1st down. Gutless.

The Chargers owe their defensive ranking to one player, K. Mack.
Sacks
7 K. Mack LAC 7 25
Sack Yards
6 K. Mack LAC 7 2
Defensive Tackles
Not ranked
Interceptions
10t A. Samuel Jr. LAC 7 34
Forced Fumbles
8t K. Mack LAC 7 25
Passes Defensed
Not ranked

The defense could use some work. A lot of it. Bosa needs to hit the
road.

Three close losses, not blowouts. The Chargers need to accept that they
can win and just do it.

Re: Finally a big win for the Chargers

<kqsp4oFmgkuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=5046&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#5046

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 13:21:09 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:21 UTC

klp wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2023, phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> posted some
>
>> On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 9:31:21 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
>>> But over a team with another rookie QB.
>>>
>>> Herbert finally started to look like himself. And I think QJ caught
>>> five
>>
>>> of six targets. Palmer came back into the game but didn't do much
>>> after
>>
>>> he hurt his knee again.
>>>
>>> What's the matter with Slater? He's not dominating like seasons past.
>>> Is
>>
>>> it the new LG and now a backup center?
>>>
>>> The Chargers' running game was disappointingly nonexistent.
>>>
>>> Samuel can't tackle.
>>>
>>> Gillman is better than I thought.
>>>
>>> The whole OL has not been the solid unit I thought they finally had.
>>> Losing Linsley is a big part of that, but also I don't think any of
>>> the
>>
>>> other four starters are playing to the level I thought/hoped they
>>> would.
>>

>>> I barely noticed Davis. Were they just going after Samuel that much?
>>>
>>> --Robin
>>

>> The second half offense is very concerning. Last 4 games, they've
>> scored a total of 16 second half points and the lone touchdown was set
>> up by a fluke punt muff against Dallas where the Chargers got the ball
>> on the Cowboys' 20, got a DPI to take the ball to the 5, then needed 4
>> downs to score from there. It's like they come out with a good
>> offensive gameplan, but never adjust once the defense changes to
>> address what they are having the early success with.
>>
>> MIchael
>
> They easily rank in the upper half of many offensive categories but there
> are gaps. Rushing for one, OL line looks like a screen door on a
> submarine sometimes.
>
> Not a good thing when your QB is the top scoring rusher either.
>
> Rushing Touchdowns
> 17t J. Herbert LAC 7 29
>
> Drops
> Not sure if this is positive or negative. Positive meaning receivers are
> not dropping passes, negative not throwing enough for them to drop any.
>
> 32 Los Angeles Chargers 4
>
> Watching the receivers frustrates me. A Charger receiver will catch a
> pass, be one yard away from a 1st down, then juke and dodge backwards
> losing a couple yards avoiding contact instead of putting their head down
> fighting for the 1st down. Gutless.

They do seem to do that a lot, don't they? It's one of my frustrations
with the team.

> The Chargers owe their defensive ranking to one player, K. Mack.
> Sacks
> 7 K. Mack LAC 7 25
> Sack Yards
> 6 K. Mack LAC 7 2
> Defensive Tackles
> Not ranked
> Interceptions
> 10t A. Samuel Jr. LAC 7 34
> Forced Fumbles
> 8t K. Mack LAC 7 25
> Passes Defensed
> Not ranked
>
> The defense could use some work. A lot of it. Bosa needs to hit the
> road.
>
> Three close losses, not blowouts. The Chargers need to accept that they
> can win and just do it.

Yes, so many close losses that could have, maybe should have, gone the
other way. Sigh. But that's the Chargers' way...

--Robin