From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Another game, another close loss
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 22:27:15 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.17.1
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 03:27 UTC

Another game, another close loss. All the usual elements were present:
lack of execution in the fourth quarter, abysmal cornerback play, soft
zones or off coverage on short-yardage downs, penalties at critical
times, a pass by our 6 foot six quarterback batted down by a defensive
lineman, a running game that rarely threatens. This week add killer
drops by Allen and Parham (although they later redeemed themselves),
terrible muffs by Quentin Johnston, who did not redeem himself and looks
like the worst Chargers draft pick in some time, and a fumble by the
normally-reliable Ekeler at the Packers' two that took away a chance at
a touchdown.

I will wake up in the morning hoping to read that Staley has been let
go, but I know that the Chargers haven't fired a head coach mid-season
for a very long time. And I also know that the Chargers need better
players, and how do they do that when they're currently $27 million over
next year's cap, according to OverTheCap--including nearly $21 million
in dead money for JC Jackson.

BTW, Popper really goes after Staley in his post-game article on The
Athletic:

> Yes, it was all there: boneheaded third-down penalty, missed tackles, explosive passes, miscommunications.
>
> The only consistent elements for the Chargers defense over the past three seasons.
>
> “You can’t foul on third-and-20, you can’t cut people loose, you can’t miss tackles,” Staley said. “We got to play cleaner football.”
>
> Staley was defiant after the game. No, he’s not giving up play calling. He asked media members to “stop asking that question.”
>
> “I have full confidence in our way of playing,” he said, “Full confidence in myself as the play caller and the way that we teach and the way that we scheme.”
>
> You do not have to be a football genius to notice the disconnect here.
>
> Love just had the first 300-yard passing game in his career. The Packers scored more than two offensive touchdowns for the first time since Week 3.
>
> Are you losing hope in your potential franchise quarterback? Try Brandon Staley’s defense!
>
> You all see it. Staley, though, had nothing for Chargers fans.
>
> “I’m not here to talk to the fan base,” Staley said when asked about fans noticing the Grand Canyon-sized gap between his confidence and the product on the field.
>
> “There were a lot of other things that caused us to lose today,” Staley added. “It certainly wasn’t our defense. It was the way we played as a team.”

Re: Another game, another close loss

<234f293f-c818-4033-805a-ecaa74e24527n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=5093&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#5093

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 19:50:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Another game, another close loss
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 03:50 UTC

On Sunday, November 19, 2023 at 7:27:19 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> Another game, another close loss. All the usual elements were present:
> lack of execution in the fourth quarter, abysmal cornerback play, soft
> zones or off coverage on short-yardage downs, penalties at critical
> times, a pass by our 6 foot six quarterback batted down by a defensive
> lineman, a running game that rarely threatens. This week add killer
> drops by Allen and Parham (although they later redeemed themselves),
> terrible muffs by Quentin Johnston, who did not redeem himself and looks
> like the worst Chargers draft pick in some time, and a fumble by the
> normally-reliable Ekeler at the Packers' two that took away a chance at
> a touchdown.
>
> I will wake up in the morning hoping to read that Staley has been let
> go, but I know that the Chargers haven't fired a head coach mid-season
> for a very long time. And I also know that the Chargers need better
> players, and how do they do that when they're currently $27 million over
> next year's cap, according to OverTheCap--including nearly $21 million
> in dead money for JC Jackson.
>
> BTW, Popper really goes after Staley in his post-game article on The
> Athletic:
>

> > Yes, it was all there: boneheaded third-down penalty, missed tackles, explosive passes, miscommunications.
> >
> > The only consistent elements for the Chargers defense over the past three seasons.
> >
> > “You can’t foul on third-and-20, you can’t cut people loose, you can’t miss tackles,” Staley said. “We got to play cleaner football.”
> >
> > Staley was defiant after the game. No, he’s not giving up play calling. He asked media members to “stop asking that question.”
> >
> > “I have full confidence in our way of playing,” he said, “Full confidence in myself as the play caller and the way that we teach and the way that we scheme.”
> >
> > You do not have to be a football genius to notice the disconnect here.
> >
> > Love just had the first 300-yard passing game in his career. The Packers scored more than two offensive touchdowns for the first time since Week 3..
> >
> > Are you losing hope in your potential franchise quarterback? Try Brandon Staley’s defense!
> >
> > You all see it. Staley, though, had nothing for Chargers fans.
> >
> > “I’m not here to talk to the fan base,” Staley said when asked about fans noticing the Grand Canyon-sized gap between his confidence and the product on the field.
> >
> > “There were a lot of other things that caused us to lose today,” Staley added. “It certainly wasn’t our defense. It was the way we played as a team.”

Stats of the day:
* The Packers' Jordan Love had a career high 322 yards passing (his first 300 yard game)
* The Chargers have lost 5 games this season by 3 points or less. No other NFL team has lost more than 2 such games this season.

Michael

Re: Another game, another close loss

<dc78567f-4c96-40a2-9fcc-df17959c976dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=5094&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#5094

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 20:48:47 -0800 (PST)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 04:48 UTC

On Sunday, November 19, 2023 at 7:50:24 PM UTC-8, phlash74 wrote:

> Stats of the day:
> * The Packers' Jordan Love had a career high 322 yards passing (his first 300 yard game)
> * The Chargers have lost 5 games this season by 3 points or less. No other NFL team has lost more than 2 such games this season.
>
> Michael

And with the Broncos' come-from-behind victory against the Vikings on Sunday Night Football, the Chargers are officially in last place in the AFC West..

Michael

Re: Another game, another close loss

<ks0bvbFs9pfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=5095&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#5095

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 01:17:14 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 06:17 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 19, 2023 at 7:50:24 PM UTC-8, phlash74 wrote:
>
>> Stats of the day:
>> * The Packers' Jordan Love had a career high 322 yards passing (his first 300 yard game)
>> * The Chargers have lost 5 games this season by 3 points or less. No other NFL team has lost more than 2 such games this season.
>>
>> Michael
>
> And with the Broncos' come-from-behind victory against the Vikings on Sunday Night Football, the Chargers are officially in last place in the AFC West.
>
> Michael

We're number four!

:-)

--Robin