From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin: Andrew Wiggins returns: When will he suit up again?
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:53:38 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 02:53 UTC

Andrew Wiggins returns: When will he suit up again?
Golden State Warriors' Andrew Wiggins wants to keep reason for absence
private

>Golden State Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22) listens to a question from
the media during a press conference next to general manager Bob Myers
before their game against the Oklahoma City Thunder at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, April 4, 2023. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay
Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 4, 2023 at 6:37 p.m. | UPDATED: April 4, 2023 at 7:17 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/04/04/andrew-wiggins-returns-when-will-he-suit-up-again/

SAN FRANCISCO — Andrew Wiggins returned to Chase Center for the first
time in more than 40 days. He gave a a vague answer about his
whereabouts during an undisclosed absence that saw him miss 22 regular
season games.

Among the rumors that have swirled around the NBA world is that during
his time away Wiggins was with his ill father, former NBA player
Mitchell Wiggins. Wiggins chose not to clarify the reason for his
absence in a media session before the Warriors’ game against Oklahoma
City Thunder on Tuesday night, saying only that he was dealing with a
family matter.

“I’d rather keep it private,” he said, while seated next to president of
basketball operations Bob Myers. “It’s for me and my family and people
close to family.”

The Warriors weren’t sure if Wiggins would return at all this season.
And Wiggins shared that for periods of time he wasn’t sure if he could
return, either. But his family needs took priority over basketball.

“When you’re in a certain situation and your family needs you and
requires your attention and love, that’s my first priority,” Wiggins
said. “My career, everything. Family is always first for me. When I felt
like I was in a safe space to come back, we got everything settled, not
totally settled, but in a safe place where I can come back.”

Myers added that he was “really excited he’s back. But I was sad he had
to be gone. So I don’t want to sit here and forget about that part.”

Wiggins re-enters the fold with Warriors in a Western Conference
squeeze. They have three games to solidify a playoff spot and, they
hope, escape the play-in tournament as a sixth seed or better. Golden
State could use Wiggins’ wing defense and size in their crucial final
three regular season games. After Tuesday’s game, the Warriors take on
the Sacramento Kings on Friday and Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday.

Head coach Steve Kerr, though, said there is “no way” Wiggins is playing
in the next few days.

Wiggins was doing basic conditioning and “getting plenty of shots up”
during his time away, he said. But head athletic trainer Rick Celebrini
and the training staff will need time to determine when Wiggins will be
game ready.

Wiggins was not working with Warriors coaches during his time away. But
he got back on the court on Tuesday with assistant coach Jama Mahlalela
and Celebrini.

“I think once we have an assessment over the next couple of days, we’ll
have a better idea of when he might be able to play,” Kerr said.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors star Steph Curry to star in NBC mockumentary series: report
Andrew Wiggins’ return to Warriors is imminent — but is it too late?
Andrew Wiggins back with Warriors, but can he fix them for NBA playoffs?
Andrew Wiggins expected to return to Warriors this week, per sources
A look at the wild Western Conference after Warriors’ loss to Nuggets

Added Wiggins: “I felt really good before I left that last game. I felt
like I was in rhythm … Hopefully I’ll be right back where I left off.”

Notes: Klay Thompson was a late scratch Tuesday with lower back
soreness. Jordan Poole started in his place and Anthony Lamb got the
start at forward over Donte DiVincenzo.

This is a developing story

--
Shayna Rubin | General Assignment Sports Reporter
Shayna Rubin is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter for The Mercury