From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Warriors_vs._Kings:_Andrew_Wiggins_“
feels_fresh”_in_time_for_first_round
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:37:26 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 03:37 UTC

Warriors vs. Kings: Andrew Wiggins “feels fresh” in time for first round
Golden State Warriors' Andrew Wiggins isn't worried about his
conditioning heading into Game 1

>Golden State Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22) smiles while listening to a
question from the media during a press conference before their game
against the Oklahoma City Thunder at the Chase Center in San Francisco,
Calif., on Tuesday, April 4, 2023. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 14, 2023 at 3:52 p.m. | UPDATED: April 14, 2023 at 3:52
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/04/14/warriors-vs-kings-andrew-wiggins-feels-fresh-in-time-for-first-round/

SAN FRANCISCO — Andrew Wiggins hasn’t played an NBA game since Feb. 13.
It’s unideal that his anticipated return requires him to dive back in
for a playoff game.

There’s reason to question if Wiggins’ conditioning will be up to par
given how much time he spent out of NBA action — in the more than 50
days he was absent, Wiggins wasn’t doing much basketball activity, but a
few workouts and getting shots up. But Wiggins said it only took two
days for him to start feeling like himself. And now he feels like his
tank is full.

“I feel normal, I feel refreshed, there’s nothing I don’t think my
body’s going to hurt if I do that or anything, I feel fresh,” Wiggins
said on Friday, minutes before the team left on the bus for Sacramento.

Head coach Steve Kerr wouldn’t reveal how many minutes Wiggins is
expected to play or if he’ll come off the bench in Game 1 of the
Warriors’ first round series against the Sacramento Kings on Saturday
afternoon. Reports have said the team is leaning toward starting Wiggins
off the bench for the first time in his career.

“It’d be different,” Wiggins said. “Haven’t done that since being in the
NBA, but I’m down for whatever helps the team and whatever we need.”

Steph Curry’s experience coming off the bench during the first round
series against the Denver Nuggets last playoffs gives the Warriors some
experience of using an unfamiliar rotation, getting a player who has
been out a significant portion of the year re-integrated. The Warriors
are familiar with the process.

“It feels very similar,” Kerr said. “The difference was last year we got
off to a great start with the season and had some cushion for our
struggles later on in the regular season so we were in a better position
seeding wise, but kind of the end of the season, there was a similar vibe.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors youngster Jonathan Kuminga is poised to soar in the 2023 NBA
Playoffs
How the Warriors can shed road woes with easier travel to Sacramento
Warriors bringing Wiggins off bench would mimic 2022 Curry plan
How Moses Moody has stayed game-ready after fall from Warriors’ rotation
The Kings used the Warriors' blueprint to break their curse

“Heading into the playoffs last year we felt like we were rounding into
form and that’s exactly how it feels this year so we’ve been through
this before.”

The Warriors will, at least, need Wiggins’ defense and length to help
contain a fast-paced Kings team. They’ll need his rebounding alongside
Kevon Looney against Domantas Sabonis.

“Defense is all about effort and wanting to do it, that’s what it comes
down to,” Wiggins said. “Offensively, you can’t sometimes help if you
can’t help if you miss shots, you can’t help the game go certain ways
but you can determine your effort on defense and your hard work on defense.”

At best, the Warriors can hope Wiggins’ return revives their most potent
lineup. With Wiggins, Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Kevon
Looney, the Warriors have a plus-22 net rating (a 128.5 offensive rating
and 106.4 defensive rating) in 27 games played together.

After a troubling regular season, the Warriors find solace in being
nearly all healthy again at the most important time of year.

“Perfect timing,” Wiggins said. “I’m feeling good. I feel like they
trust me and I trust them.”

--
Shayna Rubin | General Assignment Sports Reporter
Shayna Rubin is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter for The Mercury