From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Warriors_vs._Kings_Game_1:_Andrew_Wiggins
’_shot_is_off,_but_decision-making_there_in_first_game_
back
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 14:11:58 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 21:11 UTC

Warriors vs. Kings Game 1: Andrew Wiggins’ shot is off, but
decision-making there in first game back
Golden State Warriors' Andrew Wiggins has rough shooting night, but
strong return
>Golden State Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins dribbles against Sacramento
Kings’ De’Aaron Fox during Game 1 of the Western Conference First Round
playoffs, Saturday, April 15, 2023, at Golden One Arena in Sacramento,
Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 15, 2023 at 5:20 p.m. | UPDATED: April 16, 2023 at
10:57 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/04/15/warriors-vs-kings-game-1-andrew-wiggins-to-come-off-bench-for-first-time-in-career/

SACRAMENTO — The Warriors had an opportunity to take the lead, down two
with 10 seconds remaining. Andrew Wiggins found the ball in his hands,
standing wide open from the left corner 3. His sweet spot.

The ball caromed off the back of the rim. The Warriors lost to the
Sacramento Kings, 126-123, their fourth Game 1 loss dating back to 2015.
In defeat’s wake, though, the Warriors still felt good. They enjoy the
playoff chess match.

Wiggins was relaxed as he answered questions about a tough loss in which
he went 1-for-8 from 3 — including the big one. He jumped right into an
intense playoff game without much of a hitch. Even though he missed, he
liked how his shot felt.

“That shot felt amazing,” Wiggins said. “I missed that shot tonight but
I know the next one is going on.”

Wiggins played 28 minutes and finished with 17 points, four blocks,
three rebounds and one assists.

His rust was most apparent from 3, but this series could come down to
his ability to hit open shots. The series might also come down to his
defensive presence. Though no Warrior could stop Kings’ All-Star
De’Aaron Fox’s second-half flurry, Wiggins is among the handful of
players who can limit the speedy guard.

Kings coach Mike Brown knows. He was with the Warriors until this season,

“He helped us win a championship last year with his ability to offensive
rebound and defend different players night in and night out,” Brown said
of Wiggins.

Wiggins came off the bench Saturday night for the first time in his
career after a 22-game absence due to undisclosed family reasons. He
entered the game with 6:21 remaining in the first quarter and was
promptly blocked by Kevin Huerter on a 3-point attempt.

He got his first offensive rebound soon thereafter and, following a
timeout, hit his first jumper. Rhythm. He finished the first quarter
with six points — with his teammates actively looking to get him engaged
— a rebound and a block.

Wiggins checked back in with seven minutes remaining in the second
quarter locked in on defense, coming up with a handful of stops. He
added six points, finding his rhythm on a couple more jumpers and
second-chance points. He finished the half with 14 minutes at a
plus-four and three blocks and three rebounds.

“I thought I played pretty good. I was making my shots, creating for
others,” Wiggins said. “Every game is an adjustment, every playoff game
is different from the other.

But then the long layoff caught up with him. While Wiggins played strong
defense down the stretch, he lost steam late, head coach Steve Kerr
said. The missed go-ahead 3 was one of four 3-pointers he missed in the
fourth quarter, a late-game funk in keeping with the 16-for-50 shooting
night from the rest of his team.

He will need to shoot better and rebound more; the Warriors were
outrebounded 50-41, including 17-9 on the offensive glass. Wiggins was a
key difference-maker on the offensive boards during last year’s playoff
run. He didn’t find that intensity on the glass in his first game back.

“He looked good out there, real springy,” Steph Curry said. “Everything
besides his 3-point shot was solid. I like the way he looked and I know
he’s going to continue to get better.”

Whether Wiggins starts Game 2, or comes off the bench again, is yet to
be determined.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The Warriors went soft in the second half of Game 1 and
handed the Kings a series lead
Videos show E-40 being removed from Warriors-Kings playoff game
Game 1 loss to Kings a ‘feeling out process’ for Warriors
Kurtenbach: Sacramento brought cowbells, light beams, and an NBA
Finals-like atmosphere to Warriors-Kings Game 1
NBA playoffs live updates: Warriors blow double-digit lead, drop Game
1 to Kings

--
Shayna Rubin | General Assignment Sports Reporter
Shayna Rubin is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter for The Mercury