From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Kerr_‘extremely_surprised’_by_D
raymond_Green’s_suspension_for_Game_3_vs._Kings
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:10:25 -0700
 by: Allen - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 00:10 UTC

Kerr ‘extremely surprised’ by Draymond Green’s suspension for Game 3 vs.
Kings
Draymond Green was suspended for Warriors-Kings Game 3 on Thursday for
stomping on Domantas Sabonis and subsequently engaging with fans
>SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 17: Draymond Green (right) #23 of the
Golden State Warriors reacts after he got tangled with Domantas Sabonis
#10 of the Sacramento Kings in the second half during Game Two of the
Western Conference First Round Playoffs at Golden 1 Center on April 17,
2023 in Sacramento, California. Green was issued a flagrant foul 2 on
the play, and ejected from the game. NOTE TO USER: User expressly
acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this
photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty
Images License Agreement. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2023 at 2:07 p.m. | UPDATED: April 20, 2023 at 4:43
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/04/19/warriors-respond-to-draymond-greens-suspension-for-game-3-vs-kings/

SAN FRANCISCO — Coach Steve Kerr said on Wednesday he was “extremely
surprised” that the NBA handed Draymond Green a one-game suspension for
his reputation and Game 2 antics earlier in the week.

Many others within the Warriors were stunned, too.

But president of basketball operations and general manager Bob Myers
stressed the team couldn’t dwell on the league’s decision to shelve
Green for Game 3 on Thursday at Chase Center.

“Everybody understands that we have a game tomorrow night and we’re in
the middle of a series, a difficult one, and that’s the focus,” Myers
said Wednesday after practice.

The NBA released a statement Tuesday at 11:42 p.m. Eastern Time,
announcing its decision to suspend Green for Game 3 for stomping on
Kings center Domantas Sabonis and subsequently egging on the crowd as
the officials reviewed the play. The league said Green’s “history of
unsportsmanlike acts” was a factor in its verdict.

NBA executive vice president Joe Dumars doubled down on the league’s
decision Wednesday, despite a storm of criticism from other players and
broadcast analysts. Dumars told ESPN that Green’s “excessive and
over-the-top actions” as well as being a “repeat offender” played a role
in his suspension.

Asked for his thoughts on Green’s punishment, Myers said, “It doesn’t
matter.

“As far as how we felt, we’ve been here before and we got to play the
game tomorrow night,” Myers said. “Once these decisions are made,
there’s no appellate court, it’s over. So you can react however you want
to react but doesn’t change the fact he’s not playing.”

Green received a Flagrant 2 foul and was ejected near the seven-minute
mark of the fourth quarter in Monday night’s loss after he forcefully
stepped on Sebonis’ chest. Green defended his actions after the game,
saying he was trying to break free from Sabonis, who was assessed a
technical foul for pulling on Green’s leg.

But the league found Green’s actions warranted further punishment.

The Warriors often feed off Green’s ferocity as he teeters the thin line
between fair and not with his chirping and physical play. He has crossed
it before and it has burned the Warriors — from creating the “biggest
crisis” Kerr had seen as coach by punching Jordan Poole in the preseason
to getting suspended in the 2016 NBA Finals for hitting LeBron James in
the groin.

“Winning is messy if you want to be honest about it,” Myers said.
“There’s an edginess to it, there is tension. Certainly, he’s crossed
that line but he has been punished for it. So the people that wanted to
see a punishment, he got one.”

Myers spoke to Green Tuesday’s night and told he needed to keep the
focus on the team, not about his personal situation. Green addressed the
team before going through practice Wednesday, Kerr said.

Per league rules, Green will be barred from attending Thursday’s game.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors need more from Jordan Poole, but will his ankle allow for that?
NBA sends whistle-happy officiating crew to Warriors-Kings Game 3
How Mike Brown’s tactics have given Kings 2-0 lead and created
challenges for Steve Kerr, Warriors
Save us, Steph — Curry will need to put the Warriors on his back in
Game 3
E-40, Kings say rapper’s Game 1 ejection was ‘unfortunate
misunderstanding’

Green’s absence Thursday could prove to be catastrophic to the Warriors,
who are facing a 2-0 deficit in the series. Green’s playmaking on
offense and his strong defensive presence are vital to Golden State’s
success. The defending champs will need Kevon Looney to step up while
also leaning more on Anthony Lamb and JaMychal Green. Lamb has yet to
see the floor this postseason, while JaMychal Green has seen only a
minute of action this series.

Even without Draymond Green, Myers and Kerr believe the Warriors have
enough to win. Kerr also noted they’ll benefit from feeding off the home
crowd.

“I have no doubt that we can get this done,” Kerr said. “We’ve been in
some difficult situations before, I guess not 2-0 but we’ve been down
3-1 which sounds worse, we’ve seen it all.”

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter
Madeline Kenney is the Bay Area News Group's Golden State Warriors beat

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / Kenney: Kerr ‘extremely surprised’ by Draymond Green’s suspension for Game 3 vs. Kings