From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Draymond heaps praise on Looney for impact vs. Kings
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:45:19 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 01:45 UTC

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/draymond-green-heaps-praise-kevon-looney-impact-vs-kings

Draymond heaps praise on Looney for impact vs. Kings

1H ago
by Jarrod Castillo

Kevon Looney arguably is one of the Warriors' unheralded heroes in their
first-round NBA playoff series against the Sacramento Kings and Draymond
Green understands that.

That is why the 33-year-old praised Golden State's starting center after
the Warriors' 123-116 Game 5 win at Golden 1 Center, likening the
27-year-old center's relaxed demeanor to Andre Iguodala and Shaun
Livingston.

"When we were a lot younger in this run, we had those guys -- Shaun,
Andre, that list goes on -- but those two guys in particular, no matter
what was going on ... they would come in and calm us down," Green told
reporters after the victory. "And Kevon is that for this team.

"He's that stabilizing force that allows everyone else to focus on what
they need to focus on."

Green continued to say that Looney's rebounding against Domantas Sabonis
-- the NBA's leader in rebounds during the 2022-23 NBA season -- and the
Kings has been "incredible" and applauds the steps his frontcourt mate
has taken in terms of playmaking.

In five games, Looney has outrebounded Sabonis, 72-58. What's more, the
Warriors' lumbering center actually has dished out more assists than the
Kings' All-Star, 25-22, showing his improved game in the playoffs.

It is Looney's transformation as a player that allows Green and the rest
of the Warriors to have confidence in him on both sides of the ball.

"So he's a guy we have the ultimate trust in and also on the defensive
end," the Warriors' defensive ace added. "You know if you get beat, he's
going to be there. I know for me, when I'm on the floor with him, I'm so
much more comfortable on the defensive end just because he doesn't miss
any assignment.

"He's been that guy for us all year, last couple years, and he's
continuing to get better."

As the Warriors prepare to take on the Kings in Game 6 on Friday at
Chase Center, they understand that Looney's presence has been essential
on their road to repeating as NBA champions.

And no one is more appreciative than Green, and if Looney continues on
his pace, he could be well on his way to becoming a Warriors great.