Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:57:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SFC:__(May_29th,_2016):__Warriors’_Game_7:_Pressur
e_of_a_season,_packed_into_1_contest
From: coac...@gmail.com (Donald Lee)
 by: Donald Lee - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 06:57 UTC

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Warriors-Game-7-Pressure-of-a-season-packed-7952349.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

(Chronicle referred to an article about the GSW / OKC Western Conference Game 7. Nice article about various Game 7's in Bay Area History - obviously, didn't include the eventual game 7 loss to the Cavs that year):

The Giants, especially, have produced classic Game 7 memories — from Willie McCovey’s lineout to end the 1962 World Series to Madison Bumgarner smothering the Royals in the 2014 Series.

The Warriors played a Game 7 three times in the mid-1970s, then not again until the first round against the Clippers in April 2014 (a five-point loss in Los Angeles in what ended up being Mark Jackson’s last game as the team’s coach). Now they’re back on the big stage, knowing one play could propel them back into the NBA Finals or launch a lifetime of “What if?” reflection.

“Every possession is more intense, from the tip-off to the last possession of the game,” forward Andre Iguodala said. “Everything is kind of magnified. You can tell there are nerves, because no one wants to be at fault.

“So everyone is trying to make the correct play, the correct pass, the right reads. Every little thing counts.”

Iguodala played in one Game 7 with Philadelphia, an 85-75 loss to Boston in the 2012 Eastern Conference semifinals. He scored 18 points, but he also recalled botched defensive rotations that left sharpshooters Ray Allen and Paul Pierce open for jumpers.

That’s the thing about Game 7s: The memories linger, longer and more vividly.

Drama beyond measure

Iguodala similarly bemoaned a key mistake two years ago against the Clippers, when he probably should have gone to the basket but instead tried to pass to Marreese Speights. The turnover led to a Los Angeles three-pointer and a perceptible change in momentum.

Beyond these kinds of details, Game 7 brings unique electricity in any sport. Oracle Arena will become crazy loud Monday night — it’s a haven for noise even during pedestrian regular-season games — as the Warriors attempt to return to the NBA Finals.

Giants fans probably will not enjoy the parallel, but former first baseman J.T. Snow described a similarly raucous atmosphere at Anaheim Stadium for Game 7 of the 2002 World Series. Those were the days of the Rally Monkey mascot and fans banging Thunderstix, but Snow savored the setting, even if the Giants lost 4-1.

“It was probably more electricity than any game I’ve ever played in my whole life,” he said. “You could sense it everywhere, from the clubhouse to the field during batting practice.

“The whole season compresses down to those three hours and 27 outs. I loved it. I wish we had won, but it was fun.”

Shorter series don’t compare

The Giants have reached Game 7 in the World Series three times (1962, 2002 and 2014), when the whole season really did come down to one game. The A’s won their two Game 7s in the Series (1972 and ’73) and also captured winner-take-all Game 5s in the American League Championship Series those years.

Of course, the 21st-century A’s have made a habit of dropping winner-take-all Game 5s — Oakland is 0-6 in those situations in the modern-day Division Series.

But these shorter series, while still compelling, can’t match the stretched-out suspense of a best-of-seven series going the distance. The Rick Barry-led Warriors learned firsthand in the ’70s, when they went to Game 7 in three consecutive seasons.

Most memorably, they bounced back from an 11-point halftime deficit to beat Chicago in Game 7 of the 1975 Western Conference finals. Golden State then swept Washington to win the NBA title.

More than 40 years later, Barry remembered the tension — and agonizing first half — of that Game 7 against the Bulls.

“I remember stinking up the gym and sitting on the freaking bench, praying for my teammates to do well,” he said. “They did, and held the Bulls scoreless for seven minutes. Thankfully, I came back in and made some shots. …

“I also remember losing to Phoenix the next year, which was heartbreaking. We should have won that Game 7 and didn’t. So I have great memories and awful memories.”

The Warriors had a chance to return to the NBA Finals in ’76, again at home, and lost 94-86 to the Suns in Game 7 of the Western Conference finals. Golden State also lost to the Lakers in Game 7 of the West semifinals in ’77.

Barry, who follows these Warriors closely, found an encouraging omen in the way his ’75 team conquered the Bulls. Namely, the crowd in Oakland gave the Warriors a much-needed boost.

“The fans had a big part of us coming back against Chicago in ’75, when I was playing poorly,” Barry said. “The fans did a great job of bringing the adrenaline and energy. That’s a fantastic advantage.”

Winning on a rival’s field

The Giants did not enjoy such an advantage in the decisive game of the World Series in October 2014. They had to play Game 7 at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, where a boisterous crowd of 40,535 roared for their Royals.

As it turned out, the game matched the stakes: a taut affair flowing with tension from the start. Reliever Jeremy Affeldt learned quickly, because he replaced starter Tim Hudson in the second inning, with the game tied 2-2 and two Kansas City runners on base.

Affeldt slithered out of the jam, then pitched two more scoreless innings (with terrific defensive help from Joe Panik and Brandon Crawford) before handing the ball to Bumgarner. Affeldt savored the setting.

“Pitchers are probably going to have more adrenaline and velocity and focus,” he said. “You have intense focus. You don’t feel tired, you don’t feel pain, you don’t feel anything. You just feel competitive.”

Affeldt competed, Bumgarner competed some more and eventually third baseman Pablo Sandoval clutched the final out. That sparked a wild Giants celebration, no doubt magnified by the dramatic way they won the title.

Across the field, the Royals sagged. That’s how Game 7s work — exultation on one side, heartbreak on the other.

“I think it hurts even worse when you lose it at home,” said then-Royals designated hitter Billy Butler, now with the A’s. “To see another team celebrating on your own field, or floor, is one of those things you never want to see. It’s definitely a weird feeling.”

The Warriors hope to avoid that feeling Monday night.

Chronicle staff writer John Shea contributed to this report.

Ron Kroichick is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: rkroichick@sfchronicle.com Twitter: ronkroichick

Warriors in Game 7

Monday night’s game against Oklahoma City will be the sixth Game 7 in Warriors history (since the franchise moved to the Bay Area). Here’s the rundown:

May 3, 2014

First round: Lost to the Clippers in Los Angeles, 126-121

May 4, 1977

West semifinals: Lost to the Lakers in Los Angeles, 97-84

May 16, 1976

West finals: Lost to the Suns in Oakland, 94-86

May 14, 1975

West finals: Beat the Bulls in Oakland, 83-79

April 16, 1964

West finals: Beat the St. Louis Hawks in San Francisco, 105-95

Bay Area Game 7s

Beyond the Warriors, there have been 17 other Game 7s in the long Bay Area history of the Giants, A’s, and Sharks. Here’s the rundown:

2016: Sharks win West semifinals vs. Predators, 5-0

2014: Giants win World Series vs. Royals, 3-2

2014: Sharks lose in first round vs. Kings, 5-1

2013: Sharks lose West semifinals vs. Kings, 2-1

2012: Giants win NLCS vs. Cardinals, 9-0

2011: Sharks win West semifinals vs. Red Wings, 3-2

2008: Sharks win first round vs. Flames, 5-3

2002: Giants lose World Series vs. Angels, 4-1

2002: Sharks lose West semifinals vs. Avalanche, 1-0

2000: Sharks win in first round vs. Blues, 3-1

1995: Sharks win in first round vs. Flames, 5-4

1994: Sharks win in first round vs. Red Wings, 3-2

1994: Sharks lose West semifinals vs. Maple Leafs, 4-2

1987: Giants lose NLCS vs. Cardinals, 6-0

1973: A’s win World Series vs. Mets, 5-2

1972: A’s win World Series vs. Reds, 3-2

1962: Giants lose World Series vs. Yankees, 1-0

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / SFC: (May 29th, 2016): Warriors’ Game 7: Pressure of a season, packed into 1 contest