From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Why Draymond 'lost a lot of respect' for Sabonis after Game 7
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 16:44:22 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 2 May 2023 20:44 UTC

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/draymond-green-calls-domantas-sabonis-wack-not-shaking-warriors-hands

Why Draymond 'lost a lot of respect' for Sabonis after Game 7

May 1, 2023
by Angelina Martin

Draymond Green and Domantas Sabonis had their fair share of interactions
during the Warriors' first-round NBA playoff series against the
Sacramento Kings.

But after Golden State eliminated its Northern California counterparts
with a 120-100 victory Sunday at Golden 1 Center, Green took exception
to something Sabonis did -- or didn't do, rather -- after the pivotal
Game 7.

"Lost a lot of respect for Sabonis," Green said on "The Draymond Green
Show" after the win. "You don't shake guys' hands after you lose? I
don't respect that. I once left the court when we lost in Game 7 [of the
2016 NBA Finals] to the Cleveland Cavaliers. I went to my locker and sat
down, and I said, 'This don't feel right.' And I walked back out on the
court and I showed everybody love.

"You lost. Deal with it. Pay your respect. That was wack to me. That's
wack. I wouldn't even necessarily say lost respect, but I don't respect
that, and that's wack."

Green and Sabonis were at the center of postseason controversy in Game 2
of the series, when the Warriors veteran stomped on the Kings center's
chest after Sabonis latched onto Green's leg from the floor. Green was
suspended for Game 3 of the series, but Golden State pulled out a
commanding victory over Sacramento without him.

It's no shock that Sabonis was disappointed after the Kings lost in the
opening round of their first playoff appearance in 17 years. While he
and his teammates had visions of bringing glory to Sacramento and
eliminating the defending NBA champions, the Warriors' postseason
experience was too much for the Kings to overcome.

And it's not a surprise, either, that Green, never one to duck any
smoke, decided to call out Sabonis' apparent lack of sportsmanship on
his podcast.

Sabonis ended Game 7 with 22 points, eight rebounds and seven assists
after putting up 16 points in the first half alone. After finishing
seventh in 2023 NBA MVP voting, Sabonis found a formidable opponent in
Warriors center Kevon Looney during the series and failed to make much
of an impact during the second half of Sacramento's must-win Game 7.

With the Kings on the rise and the Warriors proving their championship
DNA hasn't gone anywhere, however, this series likely wasn't Sabonis and
Green's last chance to shake hands.