From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Gary_Payton_II_still_isn’t_100%_from_
offseason_core_surgery,_but_he’s_swinging_Warriors-Lake
rs_series
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 19:47:58 -0700
 by: Allen - Fri, 12 May 2023 02:47 UTC

Gary Payton II still isn’t 100% from offseason core surgery, but he’s
swinging Warriors-Lakers series
Payton started Warriors' series vs. Lakers coming off bench with minimal
minutes but has since been promoted to starter
>Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (8) takes a shot against Los
Angeles Lakers’ Anthony Davis (3) in the second half of Game 5 of the
NBA basketball Western Conference semifinal playoff series at the Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, May 10, 2023. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 11, 2023 at 2:03 p.m. | UPDATED: May 11, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/05/11/gary-payton-ii-still-isnt-100-from-offseason-core-surgery-but-hes-swinging-warriors-lakers-series/

SAN FRANCISCO — Gary Payton II went from being the last man on the
Warriors’ roster at the start of last season to being a player they
needed so badly they traded away former No. 2 overall pick James Wiseman
to bring him back.

That trade was nearly nixed due to the pain he still felt months after
offseason surgery on a core muscle. Payton confirmed this week that he’s
still not 100% now 10 months after the surgery, but the 30-year-old has
asserted himself as a key piece to the puzzle that might swing the
Western Conference semifinals in the Warriors’ favor.

After falling down 2-1 in a series against the Los Angeles Lakers last
weekend, the Warriors were in need of a change, and coach Steve Kerr had
a solution.

Kerr tapped Payton to start Game 4 at forward in place of JaMychal Green.

The Warriors still lost that game, dipping into a dreaded 3-1 hole. But
Payton stuck in the starting lineup for Game 5 Wednesday alongside
Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins and Draymond Green.

This time, the Warriors won, beating the Lakers by 15 points to force a
Game 6 in Los Angeles on Friday, with Payton playing a big role in that.

Payton’s dogged defense and ability to cut and score at the rim were on
full display in that victory. He contributed 13 points on 4-of-5
shooting and got to the free-throw line five times, making four of his
attempts from there. He also had six rebounds, an assist and a steal in
27 minutes, the most he has played since the Warriors re-acquired him.

Payton’s ability to guard multiple positions and play bigger than his
6-foot-3 frame has earned the nickname “Small 5” from Draymond Green and
Kevon Looney.

“He’s an incredible defender, just his force on the ball, his dives to
the rim has been absolutely incredible,” Green said. “He’s been
incredible finishing around the rim… He was super aggressive on both
sides of the ball. It’s opened the floor up some and just made us a lot
better.”

Payton’s return at the trade deadline made the Warriors a more
formidable championship threat than before the move. He brought energy,
athleticism and a skill set that Golden State desperately needed — all
of which have been on display in the playoffs.

“Gary’s a game changer and we knew that last year. We don’t win the
championship without Gary,” Kerr said. “So to get him back has
completely changed our defense… Gary gives us someone who can get
underneath their ball handlers and at least make them have to work. And
then offensively, he’s so unique with his speed and his ability to
finish around the rim. So it’s just, we’re a different team now that
he’s back with us.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors: Wiggins questionable for Game 6 with rib cartilage fracture
Column: Lakers’ Anthony Davis deserves more respect
Jack Nicholson’s Warriors appearance marks rare return to public life
Kurtenbach: After the Warriors' Game 5 win, all the pressure is on
the Lakers
Photos: Matthew McConaughey and more stars come out for
Warriors-Lakers Game 5

Payton missed several weeks after the trade went through to address an
abdominal injury. While it’s gotten better, Payton said he’s still not
entirely pain-free.

“We knew things weren’t going to be 100%, just try to get it to where
it’s manageable and where I can go,” Payton said, describing the ongoing
injury as “just maintenance”.

“I’m getting old, so I gotta take care of my body more than usual,” he
continued. “Come in, get treatment, stretch and do all that old man
stuff to get my body moving but it’s go-time. So I’m good until June.”

If the Warriors hope to make it to next month’s NBA Finals and test
Payton’s assessment, they’ll need him to continue his two-way
contributions and earn two more wins against the Lakers this weekend.

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter
Madeline Kenney is the Bay Area News Group's Golden State Warriors beat

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / Kenney: Gary Payton II still isn’t 100% from offseason core surgery, but he’s swinging Warriors-Lakers series