Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:13:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Consensus Preseason Top 25
From: james.m....@gmail.com (JGibson)
 by: JGibson - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:13 UTC

Re: Consensus Preseason Top 25

<90dc6abe-8e7d-4203-8a80-257258843ef9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56038&group=rec.sport.football.college#56038

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 10:49:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Consensus Preseason Top 25
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 17:49 UTC

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:13:09 AM UTC-5, JGibson wrote:
> 1 Alabama
> 2 Oklahoma
> 3 Clemson
> 4 Ohio State
> 5 Georgia
> 6 Texas A&M
> 7 Iowa State
> 8 Cincinnati
> 9 Notre Dame
> 10 Wisconsin

Ohio State above georgia seems a bit weird, as looking at those two rosters now it seems obvious Georgia has the better roster. I suspect a lot of that is due to what people perceive as Ohio States schedule,
whereas people look at Georgia and figure they have a 50/50 game against clemson and then likely another matchup with Bama in sec title game. Whereas Ohio States schedule is much easier, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Just based on talent, I would probably have georgia #2 above Oklahoma. I think a lot of Oklahoma being #2 is due to schedule again and how people think they can fare against a very easy schedule. Because if you look at the end of last year, there is nothing they really did to show anyone they are very good. I mean the big12 title game was a close 27-21 victory against Iowa State, hardly a good team or program. And then they didn't get a chance to play a real opponent in their bowl game; not their fault, but then again it didn't help their case.

I just don't like Oklahoma at #2 because it's based on a mindset of "they are an ok team with a qb who will throw for a ton of yards, and we think they will have a great record because of their schedule". If they were to open up with a neutral site game against Clemson or Alabama or some team like that nobody would have them at #2 because the anticipation would be that they lose that game.

Additionally note the big drop off after 5...teams like Texas A&M, ISU(?!?), Cincinatti.....is that for real? I guess it is because someone has to fill out the bottom of the top 10, but just pointing out that there tends to be a big difference between the top half of the top 10 and the bottom half. Although like I said I'm not sure Ohio State is really a great fit for the top half, but the schedule is certainly favorable and they will be very good
at wide reciever....

Unless Oklahoma suddenly learns how to get a whole new group of defensive lineman, linebackers, and especially corners and safeties by playoff time, however, I just don't see how they can be expected to win a playoff game against a Georgia or Alabama. Which of course is why they have never won a playoff game. Their being in the playoffs on several occasions is just purely a function of their schedule....the fact that they have never won a playoff game(and only been competitive in 1) is evidence of how good they actually were over that time....