[Babe] Ruth made a big mistake when he gave up pitching. -- Tris Speaker, 1921

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

SubjectAuthor
* A pick and why this is like missionary work.....michael anderson
+* Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....GrtArtiste
|`- Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....michael anderson
+- Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....Johnny RSFCootball
+* Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....Eric Ramon
+* Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....mlmcm...@gmail.com
|`- Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....Johnny RSFCootball
`- Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....Michael Falkner

1
A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<e1600540-d215-47dc-931a-566c2462826en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56977&group=rec.sport.football.college#56977

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:59:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:59 UTC

Promising to get this one in early....because I want to make sure everyone sees it in plenty of time.

I realize there is a good chance that no rsfckers will play this pick tonight. And that's ok. What's important to me is that at least I present the information and encourage others to go with it.

I look at my picks sort of like missionary work. When we tell the unsaved about the redeeming power of Christ and how only through him we can achieve salvation and everlasting life, we are putting the information out there for them.....the rewards for following Jesus are so great that the missionary doesn't get credit for saving people. That goes to the son of God. But as difficult as it is to believe, not everyone who is told about JC comes to know him, especially on any given night. But I think it's our responsibility as Christians to give people that information....so when judgement day comes they have been given that knowledge and can make the choice for themselves whether they want to surrender to Jesus and have everlasting life.

Tonight's pick is in similar vein. Just like I present information about Jesus to the unsaved, I present information to others about football games. Tonight we have UCF and Louisville.

Look, by all accounts this is a *bad* Louisville team. So this pick is much more *against* Louisville than for UCF. The number is 7. Thats right, UCF is only a 7 point favorite against a *bad* Cardinal team.

Pick: Give those points all day long and take UCF -7. Risking 6 units.

Knives out

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<si2mol$8kv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56978&group=rec.sport.football.college#56978

From: nineo...@yahoo.com (GrtArtiste)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:28:39 -0400
 by: GrtArtiste - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:28 UTC

On 9/17/2021 12:59 PM, michael anderson wrote:
> Promising to get this one in early....because I want to make sure everyone sees it in plenty of time.
>
> I realize there is a good chance that no rsfckers will play this pick tonight. And that's ok. What's important to me is that at least I present the information and encourage others to go with it.
>
> I look at my picks sort of like missionary work. When we tell the unsaved about the redeeming power of Christ and how only through him we can achieve salvation and everlasting life, we are putting the information out there for them.....the rewards for following Jesus are so great that the missionary doesn't get credit for saving people. That goes to the son of God. But as difficult as it is to believe, not everyone who is told about JC comes to know him, especially on any given night. But I think it's our responsibility as Christians to give people that information....so when judgement day comes they have been given that knowledge and can make the choice for themselves whether they want to surrender to Jesus and have everlasting life.
>
> Tonight's pick is in similar vein. Just like I present information about Jesus to the unsaved, I present information to others about football games. Tonight we have UCF and Louisville.
>
> Look, by all accounts this is a *bad* Louisville team. So this pick is much more *against* Louisville than for UCF. The number is 7. Thats right, UCF is only a 7 point favorite against a *bad* Cardinal team.
>
> Pick: Give those points all day long and take UCF -7. Risking 6 units.
>
> Knives out

I have never known a missionary who compared his work in any way to
gambling. And trying to compare gambling to the redeeming power of
Christ is pretty much what the Catholic teachers of my youth would
call...sacrilegious. If you want to make picks, go ahead. But if you
think others are going to lend credence to your words when you invoke
the *Deity tm* you are just adding to the wagonload of shit that we
already know you are peddling.

GrtArtiste

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<308f4912-186a-4bee-a9d2-9f85de82fad7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56981&group=rec.sport.football.college#56981

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:09 UTC

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 1:28:40 PM UTC-5, GrtArtiste wrote:
> On 9/17/2021 12:59 PM, michael anderson wrote:
> > Promising to get this one in early....because I want to make sure everyone sees it in plenty of time.
> >
> > I realize there is a good chance that no rsfckers will play this pick tonight. And that's ok. What's important to me is that at least I present the information and encourage others to go with it.
> >
> > I look at my picks sort of like missionary work. When we tell the unsaved about the redeeming power of Christ and how only through him we can achieve salvation and everlasting life, we are putting the information out there for them.....the rewards for following Jesus are so great that the missionary doesn't get credit for saving people. That goes to the son of God. But as difficult as it is to believe, not everyone who is told about JC comes to know him, especially on any given night. But I think it's our responsibility as Christians to give people that information....so when judgement day comes they have been given that knowledge and can make the choice for themselves whether they want to surrender to Jesus and have everlasting life.
> >
> > Tonight's pick is in similar vein. Just like I present information about Jesus to the unsaved, I present information to others about football games. Tonight we have UCF and Louisville.
> >
> > Look, by all accounts this is a *bad* Louisville team. So this pick is much more *against* Louisville than for UCF. The number is 7. Thats right, UCF is only a 7 point favorite against a *bad* Cardinal team.
> >
> > Pick: Give those points all day long and take UCF -7. Risking 6 units.
> >
> > Knives out
> >
> I have never known a missionary who compared his work in any way to
> gambling. And trying to compare gambling to the redeeming power of
> Christ is pretty much what the Catholic teachers of my youth would
> call...sacrilegious.

Christ was not(that we know of) against sports gambling or even gambling in general(by the way I dont play poker or stuff like that)

JC does talk about money some, and if we are stretching the most relevant scripture to this is probably the parts that talk about "you cannot serve both god and money" and "money is the root of all evil". But if we extend the latter to far it contradicts some of his other
teachings and the bottom line is that nowhere does the bible reference gambling and really nowhere does JC say anything even close to the issue.

What you have is anti-lottery religous figures and pols who want to frame jesus as being against gambling because they didn't or don't want the lottery coming to their state. By the way I don't believe the state should be involved in the lottery business and in fact those crooks shouldn't be allowed to do them(or state sponsored sports betting). The state sets it up so it's a rip off,. But getting back to
JC, he was not(to the best of what we know) anti-gambling. If he felt so strongly about games of chance or whatever you want to call them he would have brought it up at one point....

Hell when Christ does come back I'd bet anything he is the type to jump on live moneyline dogs :)

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<0c376de5-7ae1-4a08-af28-f08a687cf0f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56983&group=rec.sport.football.college#56983

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: jaymille...@gmail.com (Johnny RSFCootball)
 by: Johnny RSFCootball - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 03:02 UTC

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 11:59:16 AM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> Promising to get this one in early....because I want to make sure everyone sees it in plenty of time.
>
> I realize there is a good chance that no rsfckers will play this pick tonight. And that's ok. What's important to me is that at least I present the information and encourage others to go with it.
>
> I look at my picks sort of like missionary work. When we tell the unsaved about the redeeming power of Christ and how only through him we can achieve salvation and everlasting life, we are putting the information out there for them.....the rewards for following Jesus are so great that the missionary doesn't get credit for saving people. That goes to the son of God. But as difficult as it is to believe, not everyone who is told about JC comes to know him, especially on any given night. But I think it's our responsibility as Christians to give people that information....so when judgement day comes they have been given that knowledge and can make the choice for themselves whether they want to surrender to Jesus and have everlasting life.
>
> Tonight's pick is in similar vein. Just like I present information about Jesus to the unsaved, I present information to others about football games. Tonight we have UCF and Louisville.
>
> Look, by all accounts this is a *bad* Louisville team. So this pick is much more *against* Louisville than for UCF. The number is 7. Thats right, UCF is only a 7 point favorite against a *bad* Cardinal team.
>
> Pick: Give those points all day long and take UCF -7. Risking 6 units.
>
> Knives out

What kind of Ferrari do you think your bookie is going to buy? One of the more expensive ones would be my guess.

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<52d12557-9b73-4a4b-8d24-385b459575f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56985&group=rec.sport.football.college#56985

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:41:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramon.e...@gmail.com (Eric Ramon)
 by: Eric Ramon - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 03:41 UTC

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 9:59:16 AM UTC-7, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> Promising to get this one in early....because I want to make sure everyone sees it in plenty of time.
>
> I realize there is a good chance that no rsfckers will play this pick tonight. And that's ok. What's important to me is that at least I present the information and encourage others to go with it.
>
> I look at my picks sort of like missionary work. When we tell the unsaved about the redeeming power of Christ and how only through him we can achieve salvation and everlasting life, we are putting the information out there for them.....the rewards for following Jesus are so great that the missionary doesn't get credit for saving people. That goes to the son of God. But as difficult as it is to believe, not everyone who is told about JC comes to know him, especially on any given night. But I think it's our responsibility as Christians to give people that information....so when judgement day comes they have been given that knowledge and can make the choice for themselves whether they want to surrender to Jesus and have everlasting life.
>
> Tonight's pick is in similar vein. Just like I present information about Jesus to the unsaved, I present information to others about football games. Tonight we have UCF and Louisville.
>
> Look, by all accounts this is a *bad* Louisville team. So this pick is much more *against* Louisville than for UCF. The number is 7. Thats right, UCF is only a 7 point favorite against a *bad* Cardinal team.
>
> Pick: Give those points all day long and take UCF -7. Risking 6 units.
>
> Knives out

Final score: Louisville 42, UCF 35.

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<7d2b22e8-20c6-4ee3-a6ae-542efd42f174n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56986&group=rec.sport.football.college#56986

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:01:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: mlmcmah...@gmail.com (mlmcm...@gmail.com)
 by: mlmcm...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:01 UTC

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 11:59:16 AM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> Promising to get this one in early....because I want to make sure everyone sees it in plenty of time.
>
> I realize there is a good chance that no rsfckers will play this pick tonight. And that's ok. What's important to me is that at least I present the information and encourage others to go with it.
>
> I look at my picks sort of like missionary work. When we tell the unsaved about the redeeming power of Christ and how only through him we can achieve salvation and everlasting life, we are putting the information out there for them.....the rewards for following Jesus are so great that the missionary doesn't get credit for saving people. That goes to the son of God. But as difficult as it is to believe, not everyone who is told about JC comes to know him, especially on any given night. But I think it's our responsibility as Christians to give people that information....so when judgement day comes they have been given that knowledge and can make the choice for themselves whether they want to surrender to Jesus and have everlasting life.
>
> Tonight's pick is in similar vein. Just like I present information about Jesus to the unsaved, I present information to others about football games. Tonight we have UCF and Louisville.
>
> Look, by all accounts this is a *bad* Louisville team. So this pick is much more *against* Louisville than for UCF. The number is 7. Thats right, UCF is only a 7 point favorite against a *bad* Cardinal team.
>
> Pick: Give those points all day long and take UCF -7. Risking 6 units.
>
> Knives out

I'm honestly not sure I could pick this badly if I were doing it on purpose.. It's just amazing.

I do know if I were a gambler, I'd have made a lot of money just picking the other way over the years.

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<f824554a-2b47-42f7-aeb3-7c964fe9ddd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56987&group=rec.sport.football.college#56987

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:02:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramon.e...@gmail.com (Eric Ramon)
 by: Eric Ramon - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:02 UTC

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:41:39 PM UTC-7, Eric Ramon wrote:

> Final score: Louisville 42, UCF 35.

by my count I've got mia down 14 units. 6 from last night, 6 from tonight. 2 previously.

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<52dd2568-b582-4b87-b53c-9aa2c2097df8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56988&group=rec.sport.football.college#56988

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:54 UTC

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

*breathes*

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Mike

Re: A pick and why this is like missionary work.....

<e1b3e00f-328f-471c-89e7-15f444756a53n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=56996&group=rec.sport.football.college#56996

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 06:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: jaymille...@gmail.com (Johnny RSFCootball)
 by: Johnny RSFCootball - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 13:29 UTC

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 11:01:52 PM UTC-5, mlmcm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 11:59:16 AM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Promising to get this one in early....because I want to make sure everyone sees it in plenty of time.
> >
> > I realize there is a good chance that no rsfckers will play this pick tonight. And that's ok. What's important to me is that at least I present the information and encourage others to go with it.
> >
> > I look at my picks sort of like missionary work. When we tell the unsaved about the redeeming power of Christ and how only through him we can achieve salvation and everlasting life, we are putting the information out there for them.....the rewards for following Jesus are so great that the missionary doesn't get credit for saving people. That goes to the son of God. But as difficult as it is to believe, not everyone who is told about JC comes to know him, especially on any given night. But I think it's our responsibility as Christians to give people that information....so when judgement day comes they have been given that knowledge and can make the choice for themselves whether they want to surrender to Jesus and have everlasting life.
> >
> > Tonight's pick is in similar vein. Just like I present information about Jesus to the unsaved, I present information to others about football games. Tonight we have UCF and Louisville.
> >
> > Look, by all accounts this is a *bad* Louisville team. So this pick is much more *against* Louisville than for UCF. The number is 7. Thats right, UCF is only a 7 point favorite against a *bad* Cardinal team.
> >
> > Pick: Give those points all day long and take UCF -7. Risking 6 units.
> >
> > Knives out
> I'm honestly not sure I could pick this badly if I were doing it on purpose. It's just amazing.
>
> I do know if I were a gambler, I'd have made a lot of money just picking the other way over the years.

An eight year old who picks winners based on which mascot could beat up the other mascot would be more successful than mia.