When in doubt, lead trump.

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition

SubjectAuthor
* The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail editionxyzzy
`* Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail editionCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
 `* Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail editionxyzzy
  +* Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail editionxyzzy
  |`- Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail editionCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
  `- Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail editionCon Reeder, unhyphenated American

1
The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition

<0655e8b7-2710-4827-bfd3-aec5792ddaccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59186&group=rec.sport.football.college#59186

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:21:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition
From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
 by: xyzzy - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 14:21 UTC

Rent a car from Hertz, you might spend time in jail to subsidize their shoddy inventory control system

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/hertz-530-million-lawsuit-customers-arrested-bankruptcy-court.html

Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition

<slrnss3tb1.3mfdj.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59187&group=rec.sport.football.college#59187

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:40:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:40 UTC

On 2021-12-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rent a car from Hertz, you might spend time in jail to subsidize their shoddy inventory control system
>
> https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/hertz-530-million-lawsuit-customers-arrested-bankruptcy-court.html

I've never been a fan of Hertz, who kept me on a renter's blacklist at
least from 1986-2005.

In 1986, I rented a car from Hertz and returned it to the San
Francisco airport. The return area was jammed, and I couldn't find a
place to put the car. So I pulled it up in a lane (much like most
returns now are done). The return agent said, "No, no, put it over
there." I told him I was not comfortable doing that, it was too tight.
He said, "No, I'll direct you." He directed me into a fender bender.

I put in an accident report with American Express, and they refused to
pay the claim saying Hertz was at fault. I wouldn't pay, so Hertz
blackballed me. I thought they'd give up after a decade, and tried
renting in 1996. No dice. Then again in Europe in 2005 -- nope.

--
An amateur practices until he gets it right. A pro
practices until he can't get it wrong. -- unknown

Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition

<spstdm$v0d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59188&group=rec.sport.football.college#59188

From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:55:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hTrAtekTaI3ZKIs3pvHswLah6FI=
 by: xyzzy - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:55 UTC

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
> On 2021-12-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rent a car from Hertz, you might spend time in jail to subsidize their
>> shoddy inventory control system
>>
>> https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/hertz-530-million-lawsuit-customers-arrested-bankruptcy-court.html
>
> I've never been a fan of Hertz, who kept me on a renter's blacklist at
> least from 1986-2005.
>
> In 1986, I rented a car from Hertz and returned it to the San
> Francisco airport. The return area was jammed, and I couldn't find a
> place to put the car. So I pulled it up in a lane (much like most
> returns now are done). The return agent said, "No, no, put it over
> there." I told him I was not comfortable doing that, it was too tight.
> He said, "No, I'll direct you." He directed me into a fender bender.
>
> I put in an accident report with American Express, and they refused to
> pay the claim saying Hertz was at fault. I wouldn't pay, so Hertz
> blackballed me. I thought they'd give up after a decade, and tried
> renting in 1996. No dice. Then again in Europe in 2005 -- nope.

What about the other companies Hertz owns, like Dollar and Thrifty? I also
wondered that question when I read the initial article. For all practical
purposes there’s only the Hertz Empire, the Avis Empire, and Enterprise,
right? I may be a bit behind on the current state of the conglomerate
shuffle.
--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition

<spstia$vt2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59189&group=rec.sport.football.college#59189

From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:58:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:eaDpV9RoECkNRevei96CGjEbLVQ=
 by: xyzzy - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:58 UTC

xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2021-12-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rent a car from Hertz, you might spend time in jail to subsidize their
>>> shoddy inventory control system
>>>
>>> https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/hertz-530-million-lawsuit-customers-arrested-bankruptcy-court.html
>>
>> I've never been a fan of Hertz, who kept me on a renter's blacklist at
>> least from 1986-2005.
>>
>> In 1986, I rented a car from Hertz and returned it to the San
>> Francisco airport. The return area was jammed, and I couldn't find a
>> place to put the car. So I pulled it up in a lane (much like most
>> returns now are done). The return agent said, "No, no, put it over
>> there." I told him I was not comfortable doing that, it was too tight.
>> He said, "No, I'll direct you." He directed me into a fender bender.
>>
>> I put in an accident report with American Express, and they refused to
>> pay the claim saying Hertz was at fault. I wouldn't pay, so Hertz
>> blackballed me. I thought they'd give up after a decade, and tried
>> renting in 1996. No dice. Then again in Europe in 2005 -- nope.
>
> What about the other companies Hertz owns, like Dollar and Thrifty? I also
> wondered that question when I read the initial article. For all practical
> purposes there’s only the Hertz Empire, the Avis Empire, and Enterprise,
> right? I may be a bit behind on the current state of the conglomerate
> shuffle.

Also might be interesting to see if post-bankruptcy Hertz still has you
blackballed

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition

<slrnss40bu.3mfdj.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59190&group=rec.sport.football.college#59190

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:31:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:31 UTC

On 2021-12-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2021-12-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rent a car from Hertz, you might spend time in jail to subsidize their
>>> shoddy inventory control system
>>>
>>> https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/hertz-530-million-lawsuit-customers-arrested-bankruptcy-court.html
>>
>> I've never been a fan of Hertz, who kept me on a renter's blacklist at
>> least from 1986-2005.
>>
>> In 1986, I rented a car from Hertz and returned it to the San
>> Francisco airport. The return area was jammed, and I couldn't find a
>> place to put the car. So I pulled it up in a lane (much like most
>> returns now are done). The return agent said, "No, no, put it over
>> there." I told him I was not comfortable doing that, it was too tight.
>> He said, "No, I'll direct you." He directed me into a fender bender.
>>
>> I put in an accident report with American Express, and they refused to
>> pay the claim saying Hertz was at fault. I wouldn't pay, so Hertz
>> blackballed me. I thought they'd give up after a decade, and tried
>> renting in 1996. No dice. Then again in Europe in 2005 -- nope.
>
> What about the other companies Hertz owns, like Dollar and Thrifty? I also
> wondered that question when I read the initial article. For all practical
> purposes there’s only the Hertz Empire, the Avis Empire, and Enterprise,
> right? I may be a bit behind on the current state of the conglomerate
> shuffle.

Does Hertz own Thrifty and Dollar? The blacklist didn't extend to those,
in any case, because they were two of the ones I used most commonly.

If they are owned by Hertz, did they go bankrupt when Hertz did? I
haven't rented a car since the pandemic, so I am out of touch.

--
Life may not be quite the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance. -- Anonymous

Re: The glamour of travel: Hertz renters in jail edition

<slrnss40ea.3mfdj.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59191&group=rec.sport.football.college#59191

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:33:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:33 UTC

On 2021-12-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've never been a fan of Hertz, who kept me on a renter's blacklist at
>>> least from 1986-2005.
>>>
>>> In 1986, I rented a car from Hertz and returned it to the San
>>> Francisco airport. The return area was jammed, and I couldn't find a
>>> place to put the car. So I pulled it up in a lane (much like most
>>> returns now are done). The return agent said, "No, no, put it over
>>> there." I told him I was not comfortable doing that, it was too tight.
>>> He said, "No, I'll direct you." He directed me into a fender bender.
>>>
>>> I put in an accident report with American Express, and they refused to
>>> pay the claim saying Hertz was at fault. I wouldn't pay, so Hertz
>>> blackballed me. I thought they'd give up after a decade, and tried
>>> renting in 1996. No dice. Then again in Europe in 2005 -- nope.
>>
>> What about the other companies Hertz owns, like Dollar and Thrifty? I also
>> wondered that question when I read the initial article. For all practical
>> purposes there’s only the Hertz Empire, the Avis Empire, and Enterprise,
>> right? I may be a bit behind on the current state of the conglomerate
>> shuffle.
>
> Also might be interesting to see if post-bankruptcy Hertz still has you
> blackballed

I have been curious, but haven't had a chance to check it out. I'll be
renting a car in Ireland at some point next fall, so I'll go to the
Hertz counter and try it. :)