From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Parity Is Dead
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:10:21 -0600
 by: leonard hofstatder - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:10 UTC

or never was really, the best players have always migrated to the best
teams, just has flood light shining on it.

Playoff expansion is NOT the answer. That's only making the Alabama's,
Georgia's, Clemson's, etc... play extra games...

Something must be done with regard to recruiting like capping 4s and 5s
per school. Then transfers will also need to be revamped.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/31/ncaa-football-parity-alabama-clemson-daily-cover

“If you win a championship in the NFL, you’re picking last,” says
Stanford coach David Shaw. “If you win the championship in college
football, you’re picking first. There’s nothing that helps the people in
the middle get to the top.”

Re: Parity Is Dead

<a6a4e3e2-41fa-417c-ae0f-5dad7390bfc6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59502&group=rec.sport.football.college#59502

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 08:29:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Parity Is Dead
From: don.p.de...@gmail.com (The NOTBCS Guy)
 by: The NOTBCS Guy - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:29 UTC

> or never was really, the best players have always migrated to the best
> teams, just has flood light shining on it.

Has anybody ever made a list of all of the schools that were national championship contenders more than once in the last 50 years? What's the saying - "once is a fluke; twice is a coincidence; three times is a dynasty"?

> Something must be done with regard to recruiting like capping 4s and 5s
> per school. Then transfers will also need to be revamped.

Step 1: form a committee to determine who the 4-star and 5-star recruits are.
I'll get to Step 2 after all of the arguments caused by Step 1 finish.
NIL makes this harder to enforce; there is no possible way that you can restrict walk-ons in this way, and the top schools have the boosters to pay for the additional athletes' scholarships if necessary.
As for transfers, they just made it much easier to transfer, remember?

Besides, there already is a limit, at least in terms of freshmen and JuCo transfers: 25 per year.

Re: Parity Is Dead

<0fe03522-a71a-4446-b2c1-f8974a332df6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=59505&group=rec.sport.football.college#59505

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 08:58:19 -0800 (PST)
From: james.m....@gmail.com (JGibson)
 by: JGibson - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:58 UTC

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 11:29:40 AM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
> > or never was really, the best players have always migrated to the best
> > teams, just has flood light shining on it.
> Has anybody ever made a list of all of the schools that were national championship contenders more than once in the last 50 years? What's the saying - "once is a fluke; twice is a coincidence; three times is a dynasty"?

I'm going to stick to 30: Back to '92 (according to the granting organizations recognized by ncaa.com):
1991: Washington, Miami
1992: Alabama
1993: Florida State
1994: Nebraska
1995: Nebraska
1996: Florida
1997: Michigan, Nebraska
1998: Tennessee
1999: Florida State
2000: Oklahoma
2001: Miami
2002: Ohio State
2003: LSU, USC
2004: USC
2005: Texas
2006: Florida
2007: LSU
2008: Florida
2009: Alabama
2010: Auburn
2011: Alabama
2012: Alabama
2013: Florida State
2014: Ohio State
2015: Alabama
2016: Clemson
2017: Alabama
2018: Clemson
2019: LSU
2020: Alabama

Multiples for this time period (all splits count as 1):
Alabama - 7
LSU - 3
Clemson - 2
Ohio State - 2
Florida State - 3
Florida - 3
USC - 2
Miami - 2
Nebraska - 3

Only 1 (including all splits as 1):
Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan, Washington

Since USC's demise in the late-mid '00s, only Ohio State has been able to break through the stranglehold of the south, and they've only done it once in that time.

Even more depressing, two of the non-SEC titles since 2000 belong to Oklahoma and Texas, who are now headed to the SEC.