From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Rubin: Warriors vs. Kings preview: Draymond Green will miss out
on Domantas Sabonis rematch
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:45:56 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 02:45 UTC

Warriors vs. Kings preview: Draymond Green will miss out on Domantas
Sabonis rematch
Golden State Warriors play Sacramento Kings in budding NorCal rivalry

>Sacramento Kings’ Domantas Sabonis (10) works on Golden State
Warriors’ Draymond Green (23) during the first quarter of Game 6 of the
NBA Western Conference first-round playoffs at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Friday, April 28, 2023. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News
Group)
Author
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 26, 2023 at 2:26 p.m. | UPDATED: October 27, 2023 at
4:17 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/10/26/warriors-vs-kings-preview-draymond-green-will-miss-out-on-domantas-sabonis-rematch/

SAN FRANCISCO — Draymond Green will sit out for the Warriors’ game
against the Sacramento Kings on Friday night, missing the first game
this season between the two Northern California teams. His absence
denies fans a chance to see Green and Kings big Domantas Sabonis face
off for the first time since Green told the world why he “lost respect”
for Sabonis during last year’s playoff series.

Green, who is recovering from a left ankle sprain, also missed Opening
Night as he works back into game shape. Head coach Steve Kerr was
hopeful Thursday that Green could be back for at least part of the
Warriors’ upcoming road back-to-back against the Houston Rockets and New
Orleans Pelicans, but they will be without Green as they navigate the
first part of a tricky portion of the schedule in which they play seven
of their next eight games on the road.

Green’s absence weakens the Warriors defensively against dribble-handoff
maestro Sabonis and leaves them without a voice to help keep up with the
Kings’ fast-paced offense led by De’Aaron Fox.

“We’ve seen them twice in the preseason without Draymond, so I don’t
think matchups are too much of an issue,” Kerr said. “But missing
Draymond is an issue. He’s one of the best defensive players, if not the
best, in the whole league and he does so many other things for us, so
we’re anxious to get him back, for sure.”

Kevon Looney and Green had success defending Sabonis’ handoffs in the
playoffs. Then drama hit when Green earned an ejection and one-game
suspension after stepping on Sabonis in Game 3 of the series. The
Warriors’ Game 4 win in his absence showed the benefits of staggering
Green’s and Looney’s minutes in order to space the floor.

After Game 7, Green said he lost respect for Sabonis when he refused to
shake Green’s hand in the immediate aftermath of the closeout game.

“You don’t shake guys’ hands after you lose, I don’t respect that,”
Green said on his podcast.“I once left the court when we lost in Game 7
to the Cleveland Cavaliers (in the 2016 NBA Finals) and I went to my
locker room and I sat down and I said, ‘This don’t feel right’ — and I
walked back out on the court and I showed everybody love.”

Green’s absence eliminates that conundrum and lessens the chances of
another Sabonis altercation, but leaves the Warriors incomplete on
defense. This year, the Kings have much the same roster that had the
highest offensive rating (119.7) last year while the Warriors have
gotten a little older and, perhaps, slower.

The Warriors will play the Kings twice in the next week — one away, one
at home — for the first meaningful games since the two teams took a
first-round playoff series to a blockbuster seven games last season.
Steph Curry put up a then-record 50 points in Game 7 to advance the
experienced but struggling Warriors past the NBA’s best offense.

“The guys here last year are experienced with how Sacramento plays,”
Dario Saric said on Thursday. “They have one of the best three offenses
in the league, maybe the best. They push the ball out there, they have
some guys who can bring the ball down. They have amazing shooters. It’s
going to be a tough game, but this is the regular season now. New year,
it’s going to be different.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
With uncertain future, Klay Thompson will “savor” final year on
contract with Warriors
Warriors: Curry Brand signs Kings guard Fox as first signature athlete
Warriors’ 3 Things: Dubs provide reasons for optimism, despite
season-opening loss to Suns
Kevin Durant makes long-awaited return in front of Warriors fans:
‘Nothing but respect’
After season-opening loss, Chris Paul and Warriors will try to avoid
being ‘too unselfish’

The Kings, led by former Golden State assistant coach Mike Brown, are
stacked with scorers and molded after the type of offense Curry and Klay
Thompson popularized and perfected. The way the Warriors attacked the
Kings defensively last year could give them an edge. Sabonis is a key
cog in their offense, but was played off the floor in that playoff
series because of his defensive lapses against an attacking Curry.

That playoff rivalry tension carried over to the second of the teams’
preseason matchups. Still adjusting with Chris Paul on the floor
alongside the starters, the Warriors turned the ball over 22 times and
spent most of the game in foul trouble. But, like Game 7, Curry went on
a fourth-quarter flurry and hit the game-winning 3-pointer.

After Friday’s game, the Warriors play a road back-to-back against the
Rockets and New Orleans before returning home to play the Kings at Chase
Center. Then they head back on the road to play Oklahoma City, then the
Cleveland Cavaliers and Detroit Pistons on a back-to-back and close out
against the defending champion Denver Nuggets.