From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Warriors enter uncharted waters in first NBA In-Season
Tournament
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 16:22:40 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.17.1
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 20:22 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/nba-in-season-tournament-preview/1668172/

Warriors enter uncharted waters in first NBA In-Season Tournament

By Dalton Johnson

• Published 6 hours ago

The Warriors on Friday are entering uncharted NBA territory: The
In-Season Tournament, beginning against the Oklahoma City Thunder at
Paycom Center.

All 30 teams have been split up into six five-team groups, three in the
Western Conference and three in the East. The Warriors are part of the
West’s Group C, which also consists of the Thunder, Minnesota
Timberwolves, Sacramento Kings and San Antonio Spurs. The inaugural
tournament is made up of two stages: Group Play and Knockout Rounds.

Group Play begins Friday as the first “Tournament Night.” Those will run
every Tuesday and Friday from Nov. 3 through Nov. 28, with the exception
being Election Day on Nov. 7. Group Play will count as regular-season
games, both for record and stats. Eight teams will then advance to the
Knockout Rounds. Those eight teams will be made up from the team with
the best standings in each group, plus one wild-card team from each
conference.

Wild-card teams will be the team with the best Group Play record that
finished second in its group.

The quarterfinals will run Dec. 4 and 5, and winning teams will advance
to the semifinals in Las Vegas at the T-Mobile Arena on Dec. 7 and the
championship on Dec. 9. Quarterfinals and semifinals games will count
towards regular-season records and stats, but the championship game will
not. The 22 teams that do not qualify for the Knockout Rounds will play
two games on Dec. 6 and Dec. 8.

And the NBA’s new wrinkle will bring a new look to arenas. Each
tournament game will have a special court. Here’s how Chase Center will
look:

Warriors players and coaches have shown a desire to take home a
different trophy, too. The winning team will hoist the NBA Cup and each
winning player earns $500,000. There will be a tournament MVP and
All-Tournament team as well.

"I said to [Warriors general manager] Mike Dunleavy about a month ago, I
said, 'Hey Mike, what do you think about this in-season tournament?’ "
Warriors president Brandon Schneider said while joining NBC Sports Bay
Area’s in-game broadcast during a preseason game against the Kings. “He
said, 'Well, Draymond Green and Chris Paul told me we're going to win
it.' I said, 'OK, that's all I needed to know.' "

Even Wednesday morning on his Instagram story, Green wrote, “I must say
… I’m excited as hell for this in-season tournament!!!” Green in a video
with the NBA made his picks for Group Play and has the Warriors winning
Group C, the Los Angeles Lakers winning Group A, the Los Angeles
Clippers coming out of Group B and the Denver Nuggets as the West’s
wild-card team.

Golden State’s slate of games won't be easy, though.

The Thunder are a young team that already can contend, and this will be
the first time the Warriors face former No. 2 overall draft pick Chet
Holmgren. Their next tournament game is Nov. 14 against the Timberwolves
in San Francisco, followed by welcoming Victor Wembanyama and the Spurs
to Chase Center for the first time in a regular-season game on Nov. 24.
The Warriors’ final Group Play game is against the Kings in Sacramento
on Nov. 28.

"It's going to be really interesting," Steve Kerr said Wednesday at
Chase Center before the Warriors' game against the Kings. "We all saw
the court designs and stuff. There's gonna be a different feel, for
sure. Since we've never been through this, it's hard to really know what
to expect. But I do think the competitive nature of all players and
coaches in this league, I think everybody's going to want to win. And
guys are going to go hard.

"I think it's good. I like what the league is doing. I think it's got
potential to be really fun, so I'm all in."

All of this will be new, but the Warriors appear to be all-in on winning
whatever is in front of them following last season’s disappointing early
playoff exit.