From: Roddy.Mc...@verizon.net (RoddyMcCorley)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Where's My 3G???
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:30:22 -0500
 by: RoddyMcCorley - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:30 UTC

AT&T first to sunset 3G network, may affect older alarm systems, buses
BY UPI
— 12:24 PM ET 02/22/2022

AT&T (T) became the first telecommunications network to cut off its 3G
service on Tuesday, sparking fears of an "alarmageddon."

The move will affect alarm systems, phones and in-car road assistance
operating on older wireless technology.

Concerns about fire and burglar alarm technology going off prompted the
home alarm industry and the AARP to ask the Federal Communications
Commission to delay AT&T's shutdown.

The Alarm Industry Communications Committee said that elderly lives may
likely be lost if connectivity is shut.

"Any interruption of these services places individuals and families at
risk, and AARP believes that disruptions in any telecommunications
service due to technology transition are unacceptable," the AARP said to
the FCC, according to Click Orlando.

The School Superintendents Association in February 2021 told the FCC in
a letter that about 10% of public school buses across the country could
lose GPS and communication services

AT&T however, said that less than 1% of its 196 million customers will
be affected. I mean, like, its only about 2 million people!

The company has also offered discounted 4G LTE phones to help customers
upgrade since it first announced plans to sunset 3G in 2019.

Other major carriers are expected to shut down 3G service later this
year to support new 5G services.

This includes T-Mobile, which plans to make the move on July 1, and
Verizon, which will switch over by Dec. 31.

Carriers like Boost, Cricket and Straight Talk, which rely on the major
networks, will be affected by the 3G shutdown as well.

Meanwhile, the rollout of new, more powerful 5G service has sparked
concerns over disruption to aircraft, FAA officials said last month.

AT&T added that it would offer to swap users 3G phones for Boeing 737-8
altimeters. :-)
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

Re: Where's My 3G???

<5c494327-af6b-407c-b03f-fdd252407a02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=60620&group=rec.sport.football.college#60620

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:48:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Where's My 3G???
From: plaidm...@gmail.com (Plaidmoon)
 by: Plaidmoon - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 01:48 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 1:30:26 PM UTC-8, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
> AT&T first to sunset 3G network, may affect older alarm systems, buses
> BY UPI
> — 12:24 PM ET 02/22/2022
>
> AT&T (T) became the first telecommunications network to cut off its 3G
> service on Tuesday, sparking fears of an "alarmageddon."
>
> The move will affect alarm systems, phones and in-car road assistance
> operating on older wireless technology.
>
> Concerns about fire and burglar alarm technology going off prompted the
> home alarm industry and the AARP to ask the Federal Communications
> Commission to delay AT&T's shutdown.
>
> The Alarm Industry Communications Committee said that elderly lives may
> likely be lost if connectivity is shut.
>
> "Any interruption of these services places individuals and families at
> risk, and AARP believes that disruptions in any telecommunications
> service due to technology transition are unacceptable," the AARP said to
> the FCC, according to Click Orlando.
>
> The School Superintendents Association in February 2021 told the FCC in
> a letter that about 10% of public school buses across the country could
> lose GPS and communication services
>
> AT&T however, said that less than 1% of its 196 million customers will
> be affected. I mean, like, its only about 2 million people!
>
> The company has also offered discounted 4G LTE phones to help customers
> upgrade since it first announced plans to sunset 3G in 2019.
>
> Other major carriers are expected to shut down 3G service later this
> year to support new 5G services.
>
> This includes T-Mobile, which plans to make the move on July 1, and
> Verizon, which will switch over by Dec. 31.
>
> Carriers like Boost, Cricket and Straight Talk, which rely on the major
> networks, will be affected by the 3G shutdown as well.
>
> Meanwhile, the rollout of new, more powerful 5G service has sparked
> concerns over disruption to aircraft, FAA officials said last month.
>
> AT&T added that it would offer to swap users 3G phones for Boeing 737-8
> altimeters. :-)
> --
> "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
> practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

I guess the days of accessing the internet through the wireless thermostat at Subway are about over. :-(

Re: Where's My 3G???

<slrnt1j6mk.nlbc.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=60622&group=rec.sport.football.college#60622

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 03:13:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 03:13 UTC

On 2022-02-26, Plaidmoon <plaidmoon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 1:30:26 PM UTC-8, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
>> AT&T first to sunset 3G network, may affect older alarm systems, buses
>> BY UPI
>> — 12:24 PM ET 02/22/2022
>>
>> AT&T (T) became the first telecommunications network to cut off its 3G
>> service on Tuesday, sparking fears of an "alarmageddon."
>>
>> The move will affect alarm systems, phones and in-car road assistance
>> operating on older wireless technology.
>>
>> Concerns about fire and burglar alarm technology going off prompted the
>> home alarm industry and the AARP to ask the Federal Communications
>> Commission to delay AT&T's shutdown.
>>
>> The Alarm Industry Communications Committee said that elderly lives may
>> likely be lost if connectivity is shut.
>>
>> "Any interruption of these services places individuals and families at
>> risk, and AARP believes that disruptions in any telecommunications
>> service due to technology transition are unacceptable," the AARP said to
>> the FCC, according to Click Orlando.
>>
>> The School Superintendents Association in February 2021 told the FCC in
>> a letter that about 10% of public school buses across the country could
>> lose GPS and communication services
>>
>> AT&T however, said that less than 1% of its 196 million customers will
>> be affected. I mean, like, its only about 2 million people!
>>
>> The company has also offered discounted 4G LTE phones to help customers
>> upgrade since it first announced plans to sunset 3G in 2019.
>>
>> Other major carriers are expected to shut down 3G service later this
>> year to support new 5G services.
>>
>> This includes T-Mobile, which plans to make the move on July 1, and
>> Verizon, which will switch over by Dec. 31.
>>
>> Carriers like Boost, Cricket and Straight Talk, which rely on the major
>> networks, will be affected by the 3G shutdown as well.
>>
>> Meanwhile, the rollout of new, more powerful 5G service has sparked
>> concerns over disruption to aircraft, FAA officials said last month.
>>
>> AT&T added that it would offer to swap users 3G phones for Boeing 737-8
>> altimeters. :-)

I am glad I made the decision not to use any embedded-cell tech at all.

--
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Edison