From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Rubin: Warriors notebook: Draymond Green sighting in Phoenix; a
secret practice in San Francisco
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 20:26:08 -0800
 by: Allen - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 04:26 UTC

Warriors notebook: Draymond Green sighting in Phoenix; a secret practice
in San Francisco
Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green is in Phoenix with the
team; Chris Paul's impromptu practice

>CLEVELAND, OHIO – NOVEMBER 05: Draymond Green #23 of the Golden State
Warriors celebrates after scoring during the first quarter against the
Cleveland Cavaliers at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse on November 05, 2023
in Cleveland, Ohio. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees
that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to
the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo
by Jason Miller/Getty Images)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 22, 2023 at 1:38 p.m. | UPDATED: November 22, 2023
at 3:25 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/11/22/warriors-notebook-draymond-green-sighting-in-phoenix-a-secret-practice-in-san-francisco/

PHOENIX — Draymond Green has two games left to serve in his five-game
suspension, but the Warriors veteran is finding ways around the
restrictions to stay involved.

Green voluntarily participated in an optional shootaround and light
scrimmage with the Warriors’ bench guys away from the Footprint Center
before Wednesday’s game against the Phoenix Suns.

Gary Payton II also participated in the shootaround and looked spry, but
will sit out for a third straight game with a left foot strain.

League rules say Green can’t be at the arena before, during or after any
game he’s suspended for, but he has spent time around the team on
non-game days scrimmaging with the younger players, lending his voice
while he can’t lend a hand. He had plenty to say about Golden State’s
inconsistencies on defense in his absence, rookie Brandin Podziemski said.

“Just having his presence and voice means a lot for me, for Trayce
(Jackson-Davis), for the young guys,” Podziemski said. “The knowledge he
has for the game even though he’s not playing, he shares with us. That’s
something you can’t replace.”

Green went in on them toughening up on defense, pointing out that they
were not physical enough switching onto Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and
Jalen Williams down the stretch in their two losses to the Oklahoma City
Thunder. Both players eased into their mid-range game to help pin a
blown 18-point lead and overtime loss on Golden State last Saturday.

The Warriors’ defense in their first two games against Oklahoma City’s
five-out offense — with five shooting threats that include seven-footer
Chet Holmgren — was so concerning that Chris Paul gathered a few
teammates for an impromptu mini-practice after Thursday’s loss. He
wanted to work through their issues defending guards slipping out of the
pick-and-roll.

Warriors players were doing their postgame workout in the facility when
Paul assembled a handful of them on the practice court nearby to talk
through what went wrong. Soon, more players joined in and it evolved
into a quasi-practice with a majority of the team participating.

“Chris is always talking, trying to figure out things and showed us some
things on the court real quick,” Podziemski said. “A couple people led
to a lot more people. It wasn’t a planned thing, it just happened
because we were out there.”

Consecutive costly turnovers led to a 22-6 run that sparked the
Thunder’s comeback overtime win on Saturday, but the Warriors saw
improved defensive intensity in Monday’s win against the Houston
Rockets. They’re hanging onto that progress, especially with Green out.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Why Warriors’ Kuminga isn’t playing more despite Draymond’s absence
Steph Curry reacts to becoming Warriors’ all-time minutes leader
Chris Paul discovering he’s in point guard paradise with Golden State
Warriors
Warriors snap losing streak vs. Rockets behind Klay Thompson’s best
game of season
Steph Curry sets another Warriors record

“Coming out of that last Saturday, learning what we did learn from those
two games, Monday was a good example of how good we can be defensively,”
Podziemski said.

A few players and coach Steve Kerr noted that the long trip early this
season denied them opportunities to get a lot of full practices in.
They’re still finding times to work through the flaws and communication
issues that have been present through the 6-2 start and the six-game
losing streak alike. Paul told reporters after Monday’s win that they’d
had a productive practice on Friday to get back to the basics of moving
the ball in a half-second offense — an offense which, in theory,
involves making a decision to pass or move within a half-second.

“But it ain’t going to look the way it’s supposed until we get Dray
back,” Paul told NBC Sports Bay Area.

Re: BANG/Rubin: Warriors notebook: Draymond Green sighting in Phoenix; a secret practice in San Francisco

<ksaonaFk827U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6129&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6129

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: BANG/Rubin: Warriors notebook: Draymond Green sighting in
Phoenix; a secret practice in San Francisco
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 23:56:04 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 04:56 UTC

Allen wrote:
> [...]
> Rockets. They’re hanging onto that progress, especially with Green out.
>

> “Coming out of that last Saturday, learning what we did learn from those
> two games, Monday was a good example of how good we can be defensively,”
> Podziemski said.
>
> A few players and coach Steve Kerr noted that the long trip early this
> season denied them opportunities to get a lot of full practices in.
> They’re still finding times to work through the flaws and communication
> issues that have been present through the 6-2 start and the six-game
> losing streak alike. Paul told reporters after Monday’s win that they’d
> had a productive practice on Friday to get back to the basics of moving
> the ball in a half-second offense — an offense which, in theory,
> involves making a decision to pass or move within a half-second.
>
> “But it ain’t going to look the way it’s supposed until we get Dray

The Warriors really need Green. These games in his absence show that.

--Robin

Re: BANG/Rubin: Warriors notebook: Draymond Green sighting in Phoenix; a secret practice in San Francisco

<ksap50Fkcc4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6130&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6130

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Phoenix; a secret practice in San Francisco
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:03:22 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 05:03 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
>> those two games, Monday was a good example of how good we can be
>> defensively,” Podziemski said.
>>
>> A few players and coach Steve Kerr noted that the long trip early this
>> season denied them opportunities to get a lot of full practices in.
>> They’re still finding times to work through the flaws and
>> communication issues that have been present through the 6-2 start and
>> the six-game losing streak alike. Paul told reporters after Monday’s
>> win that they’d had a productive practice on Friday to get back to the
>> basics of moving the ball in a half-second offense — an offense which,
>> in theory, involves making a decision to pass or move within a
>> half-second.
>>
>> “But it ain’t going to look the way it’s supposed until we get Dray
>> back,” Paul told NBC Sports Bay Area.
>

> The Warriors really need Green. These games in his absence show that.

However, the way the league is evolving, I'm not sure that the Warriors
can afford to keep starting two non-shooters. They may have to start
Saric and have Looney back up Saric and Green, although it looks like
Saric has only been a starter in two of his prior eight seasons:

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3032978/dario-saric

--Robin