I would rather say that a desire to drive fast sports cars is what sets man apart from the animals.

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: is it old age or anxiety/depression

SubjectAuthor
* is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
+* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
|`* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionPlaidmoon
| +- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionRoddyMcCorley
| `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
|  `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionPlaidmoon
|   +- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
|   +- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionTed Heise
|   `- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
+* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionxyzzy
|`* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionTE
| +- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionKen Olson
| `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
|  `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
|   `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionKen Olson
|    +- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
|    `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionxyzzy
|     `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionKen Olson
|      +* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionTed Heise
|      |`* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionKen Olson
|      | `* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionTed Heise
|      |  `- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionKen Olson
|      +- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionxyzzy
|      `- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
+* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionMichael Falkner
|+* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
||`- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionMichael Falkner
|`* Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionRoddyMcCorley
| `- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionmercellusb
`- Re: is it old age or anxiety/depressionRoddyMcCorley

Pages:12
Re: is it old age or anxiety/depression

<79d97e38-06a3-4555-b4ff-28e39f143b32n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=61900&group=rec.sport.football.college#61900

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:29:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: is it old age or anxiety/depression
From: plaidm...@gmail.com (Plaidmoon)
 by: Plaidmoon - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:29 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 6:25:25 AM UTC-7, mercellusb wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 11:58:46 AM UTC-5, Plaidmoon wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll also add that I thought I was going to lose my spousal unit a few weeks ago and that made an impression.
> > Thoughts about our mortality a natural response to nearly losing a loved one. I've been having them too. For me, it was 2 major surgeries and 17 days in the hospital for a ruptured ulcer (I never knew I had an ulcer!) and months off work getting my strength back. My surgeon was very worried for me before the second surgery but I pulled through just fine. I'm still only about 85% of what I was before but continuing to improve. Also, watching my wife in constant pain from a bad back lets me know that we're both getting older. I'm still planning to work another 5 years, but my co-workers think I'm crazy not to retire now. Maybe I'll change my mind or have another medical issue. We'll see what life has in store for us.
> I do wish the best for outcomes and your wife. Chronic back pain is terrible.

Thanks. She has her good days and her bad days, but she’s still living her life mostly as she wants to. She probably will need back surgery at some point, but she’s trying to avoid it as long as possible. She’s lost quite a bit of weight, which is helping somewhat.

As for me, I’m doing pretty well. I’ve lost about 50 pounds and there’s no sign of further stomach problems. I’m diabetic and the weight loss and better food choices have gotten my blood sugar into the normal range for the first time in a quite a few years. I’m also taking less medication for it. I do have a hernia from the ulcer surgery and I’ll probably have more surgery to fix that at some point. First up is a long overdue Covid delayed colonoscopy in June. Oh joy! I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to 24-36 hours on the toilet in advance of that.

Re: is it old age or anxiety/depression

<5cc16e05-c109-46ee-80a7-1dfed4cdd480n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=61901&group=rec.sport.football.college#61901

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:29:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: tobydra...@gmail.com (mercellusb)
 by: mercellusb - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:29 UTC

On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 3:29:39 PM UTC-5, Plaidmoon wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 6:25:25 AM UTC-7, mercellusb wrote:

> > > Thoughts about our mortality a natural response to nearly losing a loved one. I've been having them too. For me, it was 2 major surgeries and 17 days in the hospital for a ruptured ulcer (I never knew I had an ulcer!) and months off work getting my strength back. My surgeon was very worried for me before the second surgery but I pulled through just fine. I'm still only about 85% of what I was before but continuing to improve. Also, watching my wife in constant pain from a bad back lets me know that we're both getting older. I'm still planning to work another 5 years, but my co-workers think I'm crazy not to retire now. Maybe I'll change my mind or have another medical issue. We'll see what life has in store for us.
> > I do wish the best for outcomes and your wife. Chronic back pain is terrible.
> Thanks. She has her good days and her bad days, but she’s still living her life mostly as she wants to. She probably will need back surgery at some point, but she’s trying to avoid it as long as possible. She’s lost quite a bit of weight, which is helping somewhat.
>
> As for me, I’m doing pretty well. I’ve lost about 50 pounds and there’s no sign of further stomach problems. I’m diabetic and the weight loss and better food choices have gotten my blood sugar into the normal range for the first time in a quite a few years. I’m also taking less medication for it. I do have a hernia from the ulcer surgery and I’ll probably have more surgery to fix that at some point. First up is a long overdue Covid delayed colonoscopy in June. Oh joy! I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to 24-36 hours on the toilet in advance of that.

Losing weight and getting core muscles beefed up can solve a lot of health issues. I truly believe that if most of the old people I see barely getting around would take two weeks with a trainer to slowly build up their core muscles, they would experience a great improvement in life quality. Not everyone has the money to do this, but with medicare and silver sneakers gym programs, most seniors can do this without much out-of-pocket expense.

I'm back to swimming laps, the elliptical, and lifting weights and feel much better. I've been a big guy all my life, muscular and big when young, but now, mostly a blob; but getting better.

If you are doing the traditional colonoscopy prep: My only advice is to make sure to go with a low-fiber diet and eat less for a few days prior to the day you fast and take all the poop goop. I had to have two colonoscopies recently, only 3 months apart, and it really made a difference to eat less and make sure it's low fiber. The time on the toilet starts out messy but quickly changes to just painlessly expelling a lot of liquid that will be clear. If you eat a lot and have high fiber, the time spent on the toilet is a literal pain in the arse. The material you get from the doctor will have a low-fiber diet recommendation probably, but I did low fiber for longer than the recommendation.

Re: is it old age or anxiety/depression

<slrnt64077.rs3.theise@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=61903&group=rec.sport.football.college#61903

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:12:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:12 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:29:37 -0700 (PDT),
Plaidmoon <plaidmoon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 6:25:25 AM UTC-7, mercellusb wrote:

> > > Thoughts about our mortality a natural response to nearly
> > > losing a loved one. I've been having them too. For me, it
> > > was 2 major surgeries and 17 days in the hospital for a
> > > ruptured ulcer (I never knew I had an ulcer!) and months off
> > > work getting my strength back. My surgeon was very worried
> > > for me before the second surgery but I pulled through just
> > > fine. I'm still only about 85% of what I was before but
> > > continuing to improve. Also, watching my wife in constant
> > > pain from a bad back lets me know that we're both getting
> > > older. I'm still planning to work another 5 years, but my
> > > co-workers think I'm crazy not to retire now. Maybe I'll
> > > change my mind or have another medical issue. We'll see what
> > > life has in store for us.
> > I do wish the best for outcomes and your wife. Chronic back
> > pain is terrible.
>
> Thanks. She has her good days and her bad days, but she???s
> still living her life mostly as she wants to. She probably will
> need back surgery at some point, but she???s trying to avoid it
> as long as possible. She???s lost quite a bit of weight, which
> is helping somewhat.
>
> As for me, I???m doing pretty well. I???ve lost about 50 pounds
> and there???s no sign of further stomach problems. I???m
> diabetic and the weight loss and better food choices have
> gotten my blood sugar into the normal range for the first time
> in a quite a few years. I???m also taking less medication for
> it. I do have a hernia from the ulcer surgery and I???ll
> probably have more surgery to fix that at some point. First up
> is a long overdue Covid delayed colonoscopy in June. Oh joy! I
> can???t tell you how much I???m looking forward to 24-36 hours
> on the toilet in advance of that.

If it's been ten years, you may be pleasantly surprised at the new
regimen. It uses PEG and takes effect more quickly--shorter time
on the commode.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: is it old age or anxiety/depression

<slrnt67ojk.1q4e6.constance@karen.heins.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=61925&group=rec.sport.football.college#61925

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:26:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:26 UTC

On 2022-04-21, Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org> wrote:
> On 4/21/2022 11:08 AM, xyzzy wrote:
>> Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org> wrote:

>>> Or in personal combat. Valhalla thing, you know.
>>>

>> Whatever burns your funeral boat I guess.
>>

> I hope you're not taking me seriously. My dream death would be more
> like crashing while in the Isle of Man TT.

....Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across the
finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and
shouting GERONIMO!!! -- Bill McKenna

Re: is it old age or anxiety/depression

<slrnt67ood.1q4e6.constance@karen.heins.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=61926&group=rec.sport.football.college#61926

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:29:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:29 UTC

On 2022-04-21, Plaidmoon <plaidmoon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 6:25:25 AM UTC-7, mercellusb wrote:

>> > Thoughts about our mortality a natural response to nearly losing a loved one. I've been having them too. For me, it was 2 major surgeries and 17 days in the hospital for a ruptured ulcer (I never knew I had an ulcer!) and months off work getting my strength back. My surgeon was very worried for me before the second surgery but I pulled through just fine. I'm still only about 85% of what I was before but continuing to improve. Also, watching my wife in constant pain from a bad back lets me know that we're both getting older. I'm still planning to work another 5 years, but my co-workers think I'm crazy not to retire now. Maybe I'll change my mind or have another medical issue. We'll see what life has in store for us.
>> I do wish the best for outcomes and your wife. Chronic back pain is terrible.
>
> Thanks. She has her good days and her bad days, but she’s still
> living her life mostly as she wants to. She probably will need back
> surgery at some point, but she’s trying to avoid it as long as
> possible. She’s lost quite a bit of weight, which is helping
> somewhat.

Ever tried the McKenzie method?

https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Life-Rapidly-Shoulder/dp/0142180696

--
Life isn't fair, but it's good. -- Regina Brett