On Thanksgiving Day all over America, families sit down to dinner at the same moment -- halftime.

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

SubjectAuthor
* Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...Michael Falkner
`* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mThe NOTBCS Guy
 +* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mKen Olson
 |+- Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mmercellusb
 |+* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mThe NOTBCS Guy
 ||`- Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mMichael Falkner
 |`* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mMichael Falkner
 | `* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mKen Olson
 |  `* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mMichael Falkner
 |   `* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mKen Olson
 |    `* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mMichael Falkner
 |     `* Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mKen Olson
 |      `- Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mMichael Falkner
 `- Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'mMichael Falkner

1
Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<4f4c3640-d41b-4b7a-91f4-3b1e4c6e8e93n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62029&group=rec.sport.football.college#62029

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:18:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 02:18 UTC

I saw this and probably was going to put this here anyway, but the discussion on the future on the future of a national collegiate sports sanctioning body with The NOTBCS Guy and what I believe is an impossibility, regarding various Federal laws.

So what say you of a state which has outlawed the practice of being non-binary? Oklahoma did that today. They will no longer issue, nor respect nor honor, any non-binary birth certificate.

In the state of Oklahoma, you must be male or female, as signed by the Governor of the state today.

Mike

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<088bda4a-2912-424f-b6f7-67a9b97456fan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62043&group=rec.sport.football.college#62043

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm
talking about...
From: don.p.de...@gmail.com (The NOTBCS Guy)
 by: The NOTBCS Guy - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:16 UTC

> I saw this and probably was going to put this here anyway, but the discussion on the future on the future of a national collegiate sports sanctioning body with The NOTBCS Guy and what I believe is an impossibility, regarding various Federal laws.
>
> So what say you of a state which has outlawed the practice of being non-binary? Oklahoma did that today. They will no longer issue, nor respect nor honor, any non-binary birth certificate.
>
> In the state of Oklahoma, you must be male or female, as signed by the Governor of the state today.

The NCAA can restrict who can play in what is currently called "women's sports" using presumably biological/physiological specifications. Oklahoma's law does not change that. If the NCAA has to find another term for the distinction besides "women's sports," then it will - and it probably should.

Ever hear of Iszac Henig? He is a swimmer for Yale who competed in the NCAA Women's Swimming championships - despite self-identifying as male. Since he does not take hormones, the NCAA considers him female. I have a feeling "women's sports" is going to be a "placeholder term" the same way that a football superleague where the players are paid over the table and don't have to go to college, but each team licenses a college's colors, mascot, and logos, and rents out its stadium for home games, would still be called "college football."

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<t4efuv$p5b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62044&group=rec.sport.football.college#62044

From: kol...@freedomnet.org (Ken Olson)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
talking about...
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:38:54 -0400
 by: Ken Olson - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:38 UTC

On 4/28/2022 12:16 PM, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
>> I saw this and probably was going to put this here anyway, but the discussion on the future on the future of a national collegiate sports sanctioning body with The NOTBCS Guy and what I believe is an impossibility, regarding various Federal laws.
>>
>> So what say you of a state which has outlawed the practice of being non-binary? Oklahoma did that today. They will no longer issue, nor respect nor honor, any non-binary birth certificate.
>>
>> In the state of Oklahoma, you must be male or female, as signed by the Governor of the state today.
>
> The NCAA can restrict who can play in what is currently called "women's sports" using presumably biological/physiological specifications. Oklahoma's law does not change that. If the NCAA has to find another term for the distinction besides "women's sports," then it will - and it probably should.
>
> Ever hear of Iszac Henig? He is a swimmer for Yale who competed in the NCAA Women's Swimming championships - despite self-identifying as male. Since he does not take hormones, the NCAA considers him female. I have a feeling "women's sports" is going to be a "placeholder term" the same way that a football superleague where the players are paid over the table and don't have to go to college, but each team licenses a college's colors, mascot, and logos, and rents out its stadium for home games, would still be called "college football."

If that happens they will lose me, and I suspect, many others.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<9e45e67a-5fb7-4c94-b6d0-cf89b9821a41n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62045&group=rec.sport.football.college#62045

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:20:28 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: tdra...@gmail.com (mercellusb)
 by: mercellusb - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:20 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 11:38:59 AM UTC-5, Ken Olson wrote:
> On 4/28/2022 12:16 PM, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
> >> I saw this and probably was going to put this here anyway, but the discussion on the future on the future of a national collegiate sports sanctioning body with The NOTBCS Guy and what I believe is an impossibility, regarding various Federal laws.
> >>
> >> So what say you of a state which has outlawed the practice of being non-binary? Oklahoma did that today. They will no longer issue, nor respect nor honor, any non-binary birth certificate.
> >>
> >> In the state of Oklahoma, you must be male or female, as signed by the Governor of the state today.
> >
> > The NCAA can restrict who can play in what is currently called "women's sports" using presumably biological/physiological specifications. Oklahoma's law does not change that. If the NCAA has to find another term for the distinction besides "women's sports," then it will - and it probably should.
> >
> > Ever hear of Iszac Henig? He is a swimmer for Yale who competed in the NCAA Women's Swimming championships - despite self-identifying as male. Since he does not take hormones, the NCAA considers him female. I have a feeling "women's sports" is going to be a "placeholder term" the same way that a football superleague where the players are paid over the table and don't have to go to college, but each team licenses a college's colors, mascot, and logos, and rents out its stadium for home games, would still be called "college football."
> >
> If that happens they will lose me, and I suspect, many others.
>
> --
> ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen
>
> Слава Україні та НАТО
+1

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<dd414c86-b8f8-4f0e-9cdc-d0ce7351b4e0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62047&group=rec.sport.football.college#62047

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: don.p.de...@gmail.com (The NOTBCS Guy)
 by: The NOTBCS Guy - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:15 UTC

> > Ever hear of Iszac Henig? He is a swimmer for Yale who competed in the NCAA Women's Swimming championships - despite self-identifying as male. Since he does not take hormones, the NCAA considers him female. I have a feeling "women's sports" is going to be a "placeholder term" the same way that a football superleague where the players are paid over the table and don't have to go to college, but each team licenses a college's colors, mascot, and logos, and rents out its stadium for home games, would still be called "college football."
> >
> If that happens they will lose me, and I suspect, many others.

Do what - the "football superleague" where the only real link between the team and the college is where the teams play and what colors they wear? How is that really different from creating a superconference within the existing FBS structure? You might lose a rivalry or two (for example, I can see Michigan being part of this, stop laughing, while Minnesota is not, so there goes the Little Brown Jug, unless the superleague allows for one game against an NCAA school, and the NCAA waives its "don't you dare even be on the same field as professionals, much less play against them" rule, although that doesn't seem to be a problem with NCAA golfers playing as amateurs in an open tournament with professionals), but other than that, isn't that what most "big-time college football" fans want to see?

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<2f80eca0-0412-4b19-a5bf-746bc81288d6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62051&group=rec.sport.football.college#62051

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:03:10 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:03 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 9:16:03 AM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

> The NCAA can restrict who can play in what is currently called "women's sports" using presumably biological/physiological specifications. Oklahoma's law does not change that. If the NCAA has to find another term for the distinction besides "women's sports," then it will - and it probably should.

It's going to have to.

Some (international) bigots, in response to Castor Sememya and that all three 800-meter medalists at the Rio Olympics were of Differences of Sexual Development (no, bigots, it's not just XX and XY, there is such a thing as XXYY and XXXY), were actually lamenting that, eventually, there was going to be a third division which had to be created.
> Ever hear of Iszac Henig? He is a swimmer for Yale who competed in the NCAA Women's Swimming championships - despite self-identifying as male. Since he does not take hormones, the NCAA considers him female.

I actually have. In fact, when Lia Thomas won several championships at the Ivy League level, Henig was also mentioned in the articles.

The problem is that you have a lot of people who want to kill transgenders, and that this is used as an excuse -- but it's harder to use this excuse at the FTM level than at the MTF level, for various propaganda purposes of the American Right.

>I have a feeling "women's sports" is going to be a "placeholder term"

I disagree. I believe the right-wing bigots will get exactly what they want and will be able to use transgenderism as the excuse for it. There will be no more women's sports on a wide-scale level. Once The Red Wave of 2022 takes hold, you can pretty much kiss Title IX goodbye, and there will be wide swaths of this country where the only "athletics" women will have is Pop Warner-High School Burlesque and laying on their backs for the only men of value in the school (the athletes).

>the same way that a football superleague where the players are paid over the table and don't have to go to college,

I disagree with that as well, but for a different reason: I think the NFL will step in and brand that, after a certain point. The colleges will be used, but only for stadium and athletic infrastructure.

I'm not sure the NBA will go the same route, as you are seeing the beginnings of the NBA replucking athletes from the high school level with the likes of the G-League Ignite and Overtime Elite. Take that to a wider level, and college basketball will, increasingly, be seen as the game for those who aren't good enough -- and interest will wane, much like the spring football leagues.

>but each team licenses a college's colors, mascot, and logos, and rents out its stadium for home games, would still be called "college football."

I can't see that happening, once this takes hold, because you'd have to find a way to prop up universities in places like Colorado and Arizona.

Mike

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<d4c43a85-56d0-43fc-a0fc-fff31b5f61d5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62052&group=rec.sport.football.college#62052

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:07:03 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:07 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 9:38:59 AM UTC-7, Ken Olson wrote:

> If that happens they will lose me, and I suspect, many others.

What keeps you there now? Serious question.

Alabama, maybe three other SEC schools, possibly Clemson, and, from there...

From there...

From there...

You're seeing an increasing move toward athletes in all the other schools looking out for their own interests (NIL, Transfer Portal, Sitting Out Bowls)...

At what point is someone going to get smart enough and believe, more, this is about the individual athletes (leading to tonight, for example -- the NFL Draft) rather than the teams?

In short, when does ESPN start covering college football like they do high-school football (only covers it as a recruiting situation)?

Mike

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<96df01b5-994c-4787-98bf-a21a8d92b10an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62053&group=rec.sport.football.college#62053

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:14 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 11:15:33 AM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

> Do what - the "football superleague" where the only real link between the team and the college is where the teams play and what colors they wear? How is that really different from creating a superconference within the existing FBS structure?

In the latter, you'd still have an attempt and a feint at the current system.

For example, in a "superleague", you could have 20 teams (I really don't think you could go much higher than that -- and, with the current level of teams, even 20 might be pushing it) in two ten-team divisions. Nine game regular season, they get two Little Sisters of the Poor to pay off and one rivalry game outside the superleague -- or you go nine game regular season and none more and an expanded playoff.

>You might lose a rivalry or two (for example, I can see Michigan being part of this, stop laughing, while Minnesota is not, so there goes the Little Brown Jug, unless the superleague allows for one game against an NCAA school, and the NCAA waives its "don't you dare even be on the same field as professionals, much less play against them" rule, although that doesn't seem to be a problem with NCAA golfers playing as amateurs in an open tournament with professionals),

This is one of the reasons people believe the question The NOTBCS Guy is asking in the subject line.

I also think that, about as soon as this takes place, the gulf will become insurmountable and those schools not in the superleague will be Division I (actual Football Division I) level, if that.

>but other than that, isn't that what most "big-time college football" fans want to see?

I think it is what a lot of football fans want to see. Outside of "your school", what is the worth of about 96% or so of the games played in a season?

I can usually distill a college football season down to about 4 games -- and the CFP Semifinals are NOT usually among them.

Mike

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<t4eul8$abt$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62055&group=rec.sport.football.college#62055

From: kol...@freedomnet.org (Ken Olson)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
talking about...
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:49:43 -0400
 by: Ken Olson - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:49 UTC

On 4/28/2022 3:07 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:
>> If that happens they will lose me, and I suspect, many others.
> What keeps you there now? Serious question.

It's my alma mater and I had 2 cousins that played there.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<8dda4135-ddc1-4002-a815-c602b6eddeaan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62058&group=rec.sport.football.college#62058

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:06:38 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:06 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:49:47 PM UTC-7, Ken Olson wrote:
> On 4/28/2022 3:07 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:
> >> If that happens they will lose me, and I suspect, many others.
> > What keeps you there now? Serious question.
> It's my alma mater and I had 2 cousins that played there.

The only way that would allow college sports to survive with any level of the current infrastructure is if you were multiplied by about 20 million.

Mike

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<t4f3ka$ggi$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62060&group=rec.sport.football.college#62060

From: kol...@freedomnet.org (Ken Olson)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
talking about...
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:14:34 -0400
 by: Ken Olson - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:14 UTC

On 4/28/2022 6:06 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:
>>> What keeps you there now? Serious question.
>> It's my alma mater and I had 2 cousins that played there.
>
> The only way that would allow college sports to survive with any level of the current infrastructure is if you were multiplied by about 20 million.
>
> Mike

I'm sure that there are. We're just not the kind to scream and yell
about things that don't go our way.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<09430f91-c49b-4de1-a52d-7cac6fb9cce7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62063&group=rec.sport.football.college#62063

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:17 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 3:14:39 PM UTC-7, Ken Olson wrote:

> I'm sure that there are. We're just not the kind to scream and yell
> about things that don't go our way.

Some of us have to be, or we'd be dead.

I would not have lived to be 12 years old in your America.

I'd have been taken out back, shot, barbecued, and eaten -- that's the only use my body ever had in your America.

Mike

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<t4f4id$cte$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62065&group=rec.sport.football.college#62065

From: kol...@freedomnet.org (Ken Olson)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
talking about...
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:30:36 -0400
 by: Ken Olson - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:30 UTC

On 4/28/2022 6:17 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:
> On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 3:14:39 PM UTC-7, Ken Olson wrote:
>
>> I'm sure that there are. We're just not the kind to scream and yell
>> about things that don't go our way.
>
> Some of us have to be, or we'd be dead.
>
> I would not have lived to be 12 years old in your America.
>
> I'd have been taken out back, shot, barbecued, and eaten -- that's the only use my body ever had in your America.
>
> Mike

You have little idea of what I think America should be. It would be
about giving you every chance to get your shit together.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Re: Off topic, but to give The NOTBCS Guy an example of what I'm talking about...

<b71e297b-36c1-4dda-96a8-82657af19a41n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62067&group=rec.sport.football.college#62067

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:06:44 -0700 (PDT)
talking about...
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:06 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 3:30:41 PM UTC-7, Ken Olson wrote:

> You have little idea of what I think America should be. It would be
> about giving you every chance to get your shit together.

Then you'd be too far to the left for the Republicans to tolerate you, or you them.

(By no means would I accuse you of being a Democrat except as a no-choice, as many of us saw Biden, but there you go.)

Mike