From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Report: Draymond begins counseling, expected to miss at least
three weeks
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:00:15 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 00:00 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/draymond-green-suspension-counseling-nba-rumors/1682668/

Report: Draymond begins counseling, expected to miss at least three weeks

By Tristi Rodriguez

• Published December 18, 2023

Warriors veteran forward Draymond Green is working on getting himself
right during his indefinite suspension.

The four-time NBA champion has started counseling, The Athletic's Shams
Charania reported Monday morning, citing sources, adding that Green is
expected to remain sidelined for at least the next three weeks.

Green was expected to receive counseling and work with Golden State and
the NBA during his suspension, Charania added, citing league sources,
who wouldn't reveal the specifics of Green's counseling out of respect
for his privacy. The 33-year-old has been understanding and is "prepared
to undergo the process required" to return to play with the Warriors,
Charania said.

Three weeks would mean Green could miss about 12 more games.

Last week, NBA executive vice president and head of basketball
operations Joe Dumars joined ESPN's "First Take" to explain why the
league decided to indefinitely suspend Green after the four-time NBA
All-Star struck Jusuf Nurkić in the face during the Warriors' loss to
the Phoenix Suns last Tuesday.

Dumars said it was important not to throw a number on the suspension to
ensure Green had sufficient time to get himself right mentally before
returning to the team.

"Indefinite means get yourself right. We want to see you at your best,
and the best way for you to do that is to get yourself mentally and
emotionally back to where you need to be," Dumars said.

Before the suspension, Green played in just 15 of Golden State's 23
games. He was ejected from three, suspended from five and missed two
because of injury and one for personal reasons.

Tuesday's loss to Phoenix was Green's 20th career ejection and the third
of the 2023-24 NBA season.

“To me, this is about more than basketball,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr
said Thursday night before the Warriors played their first game without
Green since his latest absence. “It's about helping Draymond. I think
it's an opportunity for Draymond to step away and to make a change in
his approach and his life, and that's not an easy thing to do. That's
not something you say, ‘OK, we're going to do five games, and then he's
going to be fine.’ The league did that. They did five games after the
incident with Rudy [Gobert]. That's not the answer, to pick a number."

“The answer is to help Draymond, to give him the help he needs, to give
him an opportunity to make a change that will not only help him, help
our team, but help him for the rest of his life. It's not just about an
outburst on the court. It's about his life. This is about someone who I
believe in, someone who I have known for a decade, who I love for his
loyalty, his commitment, his passion, his love for his teammates,
friends and his family.”

All parties involved had a similar sentiment that was agreed upon among
the team, the league and Green. Basketball comes second.

And for now, it appears Green is on the right track.